Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • Thanks Gazelle..I managed to play on continuous movement this arvo and I didn't throw up so I'm guessing my settings are pretty good and I'm getting used to it. I don't have motion smoothing on though. Might give that a go.

I played 4 hours today.... That's a VR record for me. It was with a bunch of breaks because my head needs rest eventually but I'm wondering if it's more to do with my glasses being pressed on my face instead of the VR-ness
  • Valve have basically made a Murray based spin off then, yeah? Leggy blonde.
  • Thanks Gazelle..I managed to play on continuous movement this arvo and I didn't throw up so I'm guessing my settings are pretty good and I'm getting used to it. I don't have motion smoothing on though. Might give that a go. I played 4 hours today.... That's a VR record for me. It was with a bunch of breaks because my head needs rest eventually but I'm wondering if it's more to do with my glasses being pressed on my face instead of the VR-ness

You can get lenses. https://vroptician.com/

Also, you can use continuous but when it gets a bit much if you pull back on the thumbstick with your gun hand the shift legs will still appear, so you can mix it up without going into options.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • This gets much more VRey as you progress. I can see why Edge were recommending a huge roomspace. Might have to ditch the furniture. And a couple of walls.
  • I'm really loving some of the design choices. The swapping out of hand/gun/tool feels awkward at first until you realise you can do it from any initial hand position without looking. Press button and release after moving hand up/down/left etc. it means you don't have to look at your hand to get your gun out.

I also love the limited arsenal. Your gun is much more personal when you can examine it up close, as are your gloves. The combat is much slower than a traditional fps but it's also more scary and intense. The gun requires careful aiming with shaky hands so using the other hand to support becomes normal. It feels much less like a videogame and more a grim reality. I also tried this with the Vive wands and although grabbing stuff and no finger tracking made it feel much less natural the actual combat was just as good. I suppose the wands really feel like guns.

What I love most of all is the way you are gently taught things, but here those things are really your skills with the weapons. As the combat ramps up it utilises all the things you've learnt along the way. Admittedly I've got in on the hard setting and I don't know how it compares, but the scavaging for bullets and an almost constant shortage of ammo really ramps up the tension and you have to make shots count.

It all feels so real that some of the more traditional videogame choices seem a little off. Who would leave some resin in a cardboard box? And why would anyone leave two shells on an otherwise empty desk? I do like the health stations this time around. It starts to become a proper puzzle as there's always one medikit to put into the machine and it's always close by the machine but they get harder to find.

I can see why they've done the random bullet placement in a way. They want everyone to explore the whole environment as much as possible and I'm not surprised. There's plenty of asset reuse but the amount of art and design on display here is simply amazing. It must have cost a fucking fortune. Everything needs to be modelled to VR standards that you can stare at from inches away. The only thing that lets it down is some texture popping.

The movement has turned out to be unexpectedly good. It's the combination of smooth and shift without going into options. It's far better in smooth, if only to smell the flowers on the way but shift really works too. It's much better than standard insta-teleport and combining the two styles feels even better. It doesn't feel unnatural in a universe that lets you pull stuff towards you using the gloves.

As an experience they've fucking nailed it here. It's so good it doesn't feel like this game should exist and it only gets better the longer you play. The constant dialogue feels much more personal than it would in flatscreen. He's not just dialogue in a game, he's talking to you. Everything in this game feels personal. It's ace.
  • I'm already sad nothing this good is going to be made for a while. The traction has only just started and I'm glad PC Quest is a thing but the amount of VR gaming is still tiny. Looking forward to see what the Steam community can do with it though, and Source 2 will be an open thing soon. The sad thing is it'll probably be Valve's next game that is the next best thing, and how long is that going to take? It'll take off eventually and PS5 should really get the ball rolling. It's rolling a bit now but it's agonisingly slow.
  • Just play some more elite dangerous.
  • Well there is that.
  • Managed to get the index, a pair of knuckles and a good computer from work set up at home only to find one of my base stations has broken. Opening scene looked great but completely unplayable, gutted.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    n00000face

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I know there's a spare in the office, that's essential travel right?
  • Just don't touch anyone.
  • Some of the vistas in this are just beautiful. Chapter 4 has a stunner.
  • Another annoyance is I no longer have an empty VR room, I've gone from 3.5m x 4m to 2m x 1.9. Sad times.
  • Yeah that's not good, not when the combat ramps up. Still, you make do. Can't you just use one basestation for now? Not ideal but it'll get you through the first two chapters.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Turned the fidelity down to low and traversing was a bit smoother. Can't see a graphical difference really, so no biggy. The mechanics really starting to click, and what a world Valve have constructed.
  • Turned the fidelity down to low and traversing was a bit smoother. Can't see a graphical difference really, so no biggy. The mechanics really starting to click, and what a world Valve have constructed.

Have you tried motion smoothing?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Think it's on by default?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I can’t wait for that bloody cable. Put the laptop on a chair behind me. Cable down my back gives me a metre or so of forward and backward movement. And so far I’m coping. The fucking crabs!! Scare the shit out of you.

Quick question. Can you partial reload the pistol? I’m guessing not as you are just swapping clips. Hate it when you finish off a crab and you have a couple bullets left. It’s real panicky deciding when to swap clips.

I think I’m gonna take this in short bursts. But think I was just in for an hour ish.
  • Think it's on by default?

Yeah. I'm just surprised you've got jittering. It could be because you're flitting in and out of motion smoothing and it judders when it kicks in. The way to stop that on the Index is to put the Hz up so it's on all the time. Have you tried Max settings?
  • Looking forward to getting back into this. Hopefully the source 2 release has the full VR suite for devs. Or even release it with all the Alyx assets like they used to for half-life.

This really is a new benchmark for gaming. The panic of reloading under duress is high!
  • Yeah when you face the Combine it really steps up. That's when you need a bit of space because flailing about is a thing and you'll need to move a bit and duck and so forth without the boundaries flashing up. The first time you blindfire from cover you'll be shitting it whilst simultaneously amazed how real it all feels. It's pant-shittingly magical, which aren't two emotions that have ever happened to me before at the same time.
  • It's amazing how faithful this all is to a Half Life game. I was expecting this to take HL into a whole new direction but there are so many bits that remind me of how I felt in both HLs. In HL2 I was sort of amazed by how lovely the huge train station ticket Hall was with the sunlight streaming in, in the midst of all this dystopia. I got that again on steroids in this (but the setting was different) and right there and then I remembered what it was like to gawp playing HL2 and how exciting games were back then. It was really clever.

You'll know exactly which bit I mean when you see it and it's unexpected, and you'll be gawping too. It's not the setting that's replicated, it's the emotion.
  • Yeah there's a lot of amazing half life imagery in this. I'm just at the start of Chapter 5 now. Loving every minute.
  • I thought this was interesting.

• Yeah there's a lot of amazing half life imagery in this. I'm just at the start of Chapter 5 now. Loving every minute.

Yeah me too. This is going to sell buckets of helmets.
  • Wow Gerstmann is not hot on this game surprise surprise ...
  • You're all wankers as I play whatever flat, low res, 2d bullshit I've got.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    You're all wankers as I play whatever flat, low res, 2d bullshit I've got.

Well you should've jumped in early then. There were loads of helmets back in the previrus magical happy days. Well maybers not after Alyx was announced but when it was released it was fine.
  • VR is weird. People upgrade from wireless to wired and the tech is freely availible on release and starts selling hotcakes as it ages.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!