Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • I'm loving the linear playstyle in this. It's a crafted journey they're taking you on. And, like Valve has always done, they point your attention at exactly what they want to when they want. It's a masterclass really.
    I think this engine is more real than what Unreal would do. Unreal is great but it is still a bit shiney. Valve seems to focus on more muted realistic lighting and texture processing.
  • Yeah the lighting is a standout, it really adds to the atmosphere. When you first enter a subway train - the single carriage that's blocked at the end with shiny tarpaulin, it was really striking. Really bright outside and the Tarpaulin was lit up in just the right way inside.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • n0face wrote:
    All in all not that big a deal to sort. In other news valve refunded the cost of the game this morning without me asking, I assume because I used the index. Pretty happy with that.

Does it even if you just own the Knuckles.
  • Awww man this game. Can't stop playing. I love how VR works at small and massive scales. Obvs huge set pieces are going to be jaw dropping but it's the small things that I love. The claustrophobia of a small lift, the blatant disregard zombies have for personal space (just rude) but the delicate and dangerous close proximity stuff is really good. Somebody should bring that Operation game with the tweezers up to date by making it electrocute your gonads.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I know they’re minted but surely VR will never match normal pc/console sales. They’re in it for the shits and giggles?

Newell seems to think it'll be an "extinction level" event for anyone not getting into it.

Hes delusional
  • Play Alyx and then we'll talk. There's always going to be Slay the Spire but some of the emotions Alyx elicits are just sensational.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    It's the next computing platform Dino
    and the train has just left the station.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Play Alyx and then we'll talk. There's always going to be Slay the Spire but some of the emotions Alyx elicits are just sensational.
    Yeah but not when it costs over 2 grand to join the fun, if you have nothing to play it on.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Well there is that, but that'll come down. And soon. I have a shit smartphone but it gets the job done just fine.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Gaz, if you've a capable PC already, a suitable headset is about the price of a launch console.
  • I'm going to chapter tag my spoilers so people playing can know if they can discuss the bits.

Chapter 6 - Arms Race
    Spoiler:
  • Gaz, if you've a capable PC already, a suitable headset is about the price of a launch console.

It's the consoles that'll probably make this take off anyway. I'd be amazed if new Xbox doesn't bring a compatible one out.
  • Gaz, if you've a capable PC already, a suitable headset is about the price of a launch console.

I have a laptop that can’t even run Half-life 2 in 1080p

It's the consoles that'll probably make this take off anyway. I'd be amazed if new Xbox doesn't bring a compatible one out.

Yeah, I can only imagine they’d use existing headsets on the market. They’ve been burnt by the Kinect.
  • Yeah but kinect was shit.
  • Yeah but this another ball game in cost for them and they probably wouldn’t get their money back.
  • If they're not in it they're going to be in trouble, although I hope you're right and they go with recommended third party. Open source all the hardware say I.
  • How will they be in trouble?
    How many have Sony sold?

It’s probably not worth the R&D especially as didn't they have the holo lens thing.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    How will they be in trouble? How many have Sony sold? It’s probably not worth the R&D especially as didn't they have the holo lens thing.

For reasons Newell mentions. That absorbtion you feel when you're in a VR world can be total and until you've experienced it it's hard to describe, but you can bet everyone who's spent significant time with this game knows where things are heading, and heading fast.
  • I’ve got a PSVR and it’s great but I haven’t played it for months. Not the same degree of motion and involvement though which I’d imagine is amazing.

Newell is of course trying to sell his stuff, so he would say that
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I’ve got a PSVR and it’s great but I haven’t played it for months. Newell is of course trying to sell his stuff, so he would say that

Yeah but PSVR isn't this VR, but it will be soon. This game is the Super Mario 64 moment.
  • I get that but not 2 grand get that.
  • Hey this now has smooth rotation after an update.
  • Turned out this game doesn't like graphics cards in sli. Running as smooth as butter now.
  • Remember to get those Index lenses touching your eyeballs. If you push in on the lens adjustment knob (not the IPD) you don't have to do it in clicks, it'll dial in smooth for max fov.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Nice one n0face.

Hey this now has smooth rotation after an update.

Setting turn speed to 65 is working for me, more natural movement now. Cradling the pistol whilst walking sees you focus on the centre and can minimise wooziness.
  • Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wow again. Massive time distortion. Went in thought 30 minutes nearly hour and a half. This was my first major panic moment. Grabbing the shotgun a fun torch and making your way through those tunnels. Such a tense uncomfortable feeling. Have to admit the Quest is uncomfortable for longer play sessions. But can’t justify an index and here’s hoping the Quest 2 solves that problem.
  • Any chance this is coming to PS4/ ps5
    The Forum Herald™
  • Jesus, Jeff has put me off alcohol for life. The set pieces are SO good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!