Half-Life: Alyx - It's PC gone mad
  • Lesson learnt just then: make sure to have your headphones on the right way round otherwise you'll have the shit scared out of you when the zombie is actually on your other side!
  • The are no indices.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    The are no indices.

When you try and buy one in Steam they won't take your money, you just go in a queue. They'll email when it's available and you can decide then if you want it. Think the current wait is about 7 weeks.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I want to know if @yossarian reckons this is better or worse than halo 5.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yoss was not suitably convinced of VR's merits when he had a go on a Quest last year. Not an easy man to please then.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Wait until we get Halo VR, he'll be banging the biggest samba drum he can find.
  • Gosh, when the encounters step up, I really haven't experienced anything like that in gaming before. Heart was pounding after a particular firefight.
    Pacing in the game is incredible as well. 
    Think I might splash out for virtual desktop to try it wireless as the extra weight/faff of a cable is an annoyance for Quest.
  • Yoss was not suitably convinced of VR's merits when he had a go on a Quest last year. Not an easy man to please then.

How are you finding it (the game)?
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    ALYX? Because commitments, from what I've played which is only around half an hour, it's totally captivated me. The opening city vista is one of those moments which just stays with you.

Feels like being a kid again, your imagination has somehow been conjured into a life sized video game inside your head. A nightmare waking, but one you want to be having. Savouring the moments (probably too much at the expense of pacing) but seems unfair to criticise, because what a feast so far.

Perhaps the waffaa thin mint on top could be...what would this low contrast world look like through the Unreal engine?
  • I think that the Source engine looks really good in VR. It's got a certain 'daylight' look about it that I think works pretty well. It looks way better in VR than it does on flat displays for me (aside from the obvious presence).
  • Yeah it's the best one for VR by far except it scales resolution automatically depending on your hardware.
  • Interesting - I wonder what resolution it's using with my 1070. I was surprised it was running so well, so maybe it's hammering down the resolution (though I haven't noticed).
  • I'm having a right mare with this sorted a new base station and the tracking is fine outside of Alyx. I think I'm suffering from performance issues but I'm running it on a beast of a pc.
  • With motion smoothing on you really shouldn't be. Have you downloaded the latest drivers?
  • Yes, I think I'm going to clean install drivers and steam VR.
  • ^^^^This kind of talk totally puts me off pc gaming ergh
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    The other side is getting a laptop and it working first time.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Honestly Chalice, not really had much in the way of issues. And being able to play this is worth it.
  • ^^^^This kind of talk totally puts me off pc gaming ergh

You're right it can be a pain but I've spent about 20 minutes messing with it and it's mostly working now and I think I'll crack it today. All in all not that big a deal to sort.

In other news valve refunded the cost of the game this morning without me asking, I assume because I used the index. Pretty happy with that.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Iron tum me has decided to keep playing untethered via the Quest because head crabs.

Hope all Half-Life fans will get to play this jaw dropper some day.
  • Iron tum me has decided to keep playing untethered on the Quest because head crabs.

Hope all half-life fans will get to play this jaw dropper some day.

Seeing as i am never going to buy a VR set, probably not. Big half life fan. But VR is a no until the tech becomes the equivalent of putting on a pair of raybans.
  • Just wait for the non vr version.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Just wait for the non vr version.

You couldn't make this is in VR. Well you could but it'd be terrible. I can't see Valve making a flat screen game again if that IGN Newell interview is anything to go by.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Just wait for the non vr version.

You couldn't make this is in VR. Well you could but it'd be terrible. I can't see Valve making a flat screen game again if that IGN Newell interview is anything to go by.

If that’s the case are Valve making enough money to cover the costs of VR thru that side of the business ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Valve are obscenely rich but they also seem to think if you're not in VR you're not going to be able to compete. I dunno what crazy brain interface tech they're working but I'll repost this. It's really worth a watch.

• So many great moments in this.
    Just... so many lovely little encounters - some designed to spook, some to get your heart racing, some just to shit your pants and others purely for the lolz.
    Spoiler:
  • Valve are obscenely rich but they also seem to think if you're not in VR you're not going to be able to compete. I dunno what crazy brain interface tech they're working but I'll repost this. It's really worth a watch.

There is a huge indepth Valve article in this months Edge with and interview with Gabe. Not read it yet.

I know they’re minted but surely VR will never match normal pc/console sales. They’re in it for the shits and giggles?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • djchump wrote:
    So many great moments in this. Just... so many lovely little encounters - some designed to spook, some to get your heart racing, some just to shit your pants and others purely for the lolz.
    Spoiler:

It reminds why linear can be great. It's strangely old fashioned and future mental at the same time.

It does require a bit of an effort to play and this is going to be the key difference with some VR games. If it's not significantly better than flatscreen you're not going to bother. Cockpit stuff will all go VR but the stuff that requires some movement and long periods of standing are going to have to be brilliant. Comfort is going to be key and that'll happen - better designed hmds, wireless, higher Hz etc, but the physicality isn't going away for a while. I can grabbity gloves becoming a standard for a start. Wish I had it irl.
  • Kernowgaz wrote:
    I know they’re minted but surely VR will never match normal pc/console sales. They’re in it for the shits and giggles?

Newell seems to think it'll be an "extinction level" event for anyone not getting into it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!