Whats a working day like for a badger (not the animal)?
  • I don't think i've ever shit in the morning lol.
  • Shit, shower, brush my teeth, clean pants, socks and t shirt/shirt.
    If any one of those arent achieved I am a right state all day.
  • I have to. My day just doesn’t feel right unless I do.
    Plus once I start work I might not get a chance for another 10 hours if things go really bad
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • 4.55am

Three alarms. Make a concerted effort not to snooze through, but I have a back up 4th alarm set for 5.25, but that gets me to work 15 mins late. I probably use that safety net twice a week.

5.26am

Train, then DLR. I usually read on the commute, but occasionally just browse the forum or snooze.

6am

Start work. Headphones on, ignore colleagues that start at 7 as much as possible. Unless album club is go, in which case 9-10 will be spent plugged in with a colleague.

7.45am

Get paid to shit at work.

10am

Depending on the day of the week, we often run out of work at around this time. Then it's Youtube or Switch or fuck all until the second post either does or doesn't arrive at 11.30ish

12.45pm

Almost definitely back to doing nothing again, even if second post arrived.

1.35pm

Leave work as supervisor lets us leave early most days.

2.30pm

Home, cup of tea, maybe stick some music on for a bit while I blitz some tidying.

2.55pm

Slow walk to the school with Bramble. Pick up daughter.

3.20pm

Survive small talk with the mums.

3.50pm

Home, after even slower walk home with child and flagging Brams. Homework done if there is any, which only takes 15 mins. Then chilling, which tends to involve either toys, TV or co-op gaming.

4.30pm.

Cook dinner for me and Tilly, ready for 5pm.

5.30pm

Wife gets home

6.30pm

Cook for me and wife, often different meals as she's a veggie. Eat second dinner.

7.15pm

Tilly in bed, story/wrestle time.

7.30pm

Spot of tidying then Switch, usually. Wife watches crap on TV. Occasionally we both watch the same thing and I don't play Switch. Sometimes I half watch what she's watching while playing Switch (Love Island was disappointing last year, but Rap Game UK was legit).

10pm

Take Bramble to the green for his late poo. Bed.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay, Rap Game was fun
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Plenty of talent in the final three, enjoyed it.

Scottish rapper breaking the bed when he got too excited and jumped on it was the clear highlight though
  • I like the idea of two teas

What do you do Moot?
    The Forum Herald™
  • Do you people never have a shit in the morning? Its fucking freaking me out. Isn't it the most important thing?
    The worst possible thing that could happen to me is to take a shit after my shower. Day ruined right then and there.

So true. Just the worst feeling. I've had a second shower when such an event happens.
    SFV - reddave360
  • If I have a long project on, the rare type where I am just left to get on with it for a few days or weeks I dont set an alarm at all and it is fucking bliss.

Waking up naturally is infinitely better than being woken up. Might even go back to sleep to catch the next episode of that dream I just had.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I like the idea of two teas What do you do Moot?

You know how piracy is really easy with software??

It isn't so easy with non-digital media, at least that's how I think of it

I also loved the frank honesty around the snooze alarms
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Bob wrote:
    I like the idea of two teas

What do you do Moot?

I slice magazines and newspapers in half and feed them into a scanner.
  • I did that for over a year.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've done it for 16 now. I fucking love it.
  • Lets see...

6 - 6:30 woken up by sprog (haven't needed an alarm for 9 years but I prefer to wake up to sunlight)
    7.00 dressed and breakfast for me, 2 cats and sprog.
    7.20 argue with daughter about who stank out the bathroom
    7.30 argue with daughter about the need for her to get dressed and clean teeth
    7.40 should be out of the house but daughter still isn't dressed
    7.50 daughter at childminders. Me on bus, then dlr, then tube
    9.00 at work. damn, I miss not living 10 mins walk from work. However I don't particularly miss living in the East End.
    12.00 lunch - must start doing something creative rather than just watching youtube...
    4.30 or 5.00 or 6pm leave work
    6 - 7.30pm home. Depending on shift.
    8.00 bedtime reading to the sprog
    8.30 a bit of exercise
    9.00 tv with the missus, drawing, or videogames (thank god for vr headsets if she's got something rubbish on)
    10.30 - 11.00 bed

Looking at this, I realise how much time I've lost since we got our own place and have a longer commute because of it. Also how much time in the evenings kids take up - not that I begrudge it (well, not all the time), I'd really miss not reading to her. However it's always a dilemma swapping the benefits of longer sleep with more videogames.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bob wrote:

What do you do Moot?

I still dont understand what moot does. Why do you slice mags and papetsin half and scan them?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Varies - but this is usual (can be offset some days by +30-40mins)

7am  get up. Have a piss. Might weigh myself (will be after the fortnight I've had).
    7:05am leave bathroom for Wifey. Go downstairs, iron a shirt, breakfast.
    7:25 Back upstairs , into bathroom - cleanse  , scrape chin , brush teeth and beautify.
    7:45 Dress and downstairs. Make up lunch. Look for phone, keys and laptop. Will prob check emails if waiting for Wifey.
    7:50-8am Leave for work.
    8:20 drop Wifey off at work.
    8:25 park car (have my own work space)
    8:35 in work.  Instant coffee, Beaker of chilled water (we have filter taps)
    8:40-12:30 work (usually involves speaking to people, reading emails + project work - currently working on cloud strategy - whatever that is)
    12:30-13:15 Lunch - usually try and get a 30min walk outside around the town.
    13:20 - back at work - more talking, more emails, more project work. Our team has 45 people in 8 very different sub-teams, and we have 2000 computer/phone/users to support using 90-odd different applications in total, so there is always something to deal with or try and prevent.
    17:00-18:30 - varies - Head for home, depending on  deadlines, screaming VIPs, logistics, WIfey etc.
    17:30-19:00 Home. Dinner by 8pm at latest.

Dinner is always at the table - and still usually all 4 of us. 90% of the time is freshly made - Wifey and I team up. But it's starting to change to 3 of us for various daughter related reasons on different nights. Will be 3 during term time (1 daughter is doing year in industry and has moved home for free rent while she buys a car).

Wifey works 3.5 days a week (off Mondays, half day Fridays), so this routine will vary.

Some Thursdays and Fridays I may have to pick up daughter no. 2 from her students digs - depends.

I have just started my 29th year working in IT by the way.  Started 2nd Jan, '92.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bob wrote:

What do you do Moot?

I still dont understand what moot does. Why do you slice mags and papetsin half and scan them?

I work for what used to be known as a press cutting agency. Now that part of the business is so minor I'm amazed we've still got jobs (most of that side of production is gone to outsourcing and whatnot, but the scanning room clings on like a limpet). There are a surprising amount of publications that don't offer digital content, so we physically scan them and send any mentions to clients - via India - while waiting for redundancy.
  • Reading other people's routines I realise how lucky I am to do 99% of my work from home.

My lifestyle is very casual really. When I have to do something I do it of course but generally I come and go as I please. I have to get my work done along with all the side shit that comes with being self employed but I do it as and when it suits for the most.
    The dog keeps me in check but there is no "late for work" type concept in my life anymore.

I wish more people could work like this because it makes much more sense. I have tasks like anyone else but I am the king if my schedule.

The downside I guess is that I am always on. 24/7 I am open to work but I love what I do so fuck it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm the complete opposite Liv, it's great sometimes but I crave routine and lack discipline in so many ways. having a location to go to and work from is near on essential
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wouldn't have the discipline to work at home.

I prefer keeping home as home. I couldn't work from home now anyhow as I manage a chunk of people and face to face work is most of my labour now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • My days vary, depending on my shift, and what’s happening at work, but let’s take a day-shift, and an uneventful day.

0530hrs
    The light for my first alarm begins it’s gradual creep from darkness to light, reaching its full brightness at

0600hrs
    When it also plays birdsong. I may or may not waken enough to remember this moment later. Usually not.

0605hrs
    0610hrs
    0615hrs
    0620hrs
    0625hrs
    Alarms will go off on my phone. I’m usually awake enough to remember the last one or two later.

0630hrs
    Having been creeping up to full brightness again, the second alarm begins its birdsong. Depending on how alert I am, I might look at the forum or twitter, or set a countdown timer on my phone.

0645hrs
    Ideally, get up. (Sometimes that goes wrong.) Before I do anything else, I go through the flat, Candy greets me at the living room door, then follows me to the front door, where I let her out to pee. In summer it’s light, in winter it’s bitterly cold, so either way the fresh air wakens me fully. I grab Candy’s food bowl from the vestibule, and take it to the kitchen. She gets a can of wet food in the morning, with a food supplement for her arthritis and meds for her leaks, and I have an Actimel, vitamins, minerals and omega 3. While she eats, I shit, shower, dress, and clean my teeth.

0710-0725hrs
    Depending on how long it took me to get up, and get ready. I take my bag and jacket out to the car. I take Candy, and she does her second pee and, hopefully, a shit. Take her back inside, lock up, jump in the car and go. I listen to podcasts while I’m driving. I park an 8-12 minute walk from work, depending where on the street I can find a spot. That’s the closest I can get without paying ridiculous amounts to park. If I’m super early, I sometimes have a 5-10 minute snooze. I continue listening to podcasts while I walk.

0740-0755hrs
    Arrive at work, log on, open up Oulook, and the two other bits of software that I use for work. Make a coffee (I have a Nespresso machine on my desk) and maybe get a sausage or egg softie from the canteen, which is about thirty seconds from our office.

0800hrs
    Briefing. My supervisor seems to forget what the first five letters of that word mean. So, we make up for it by giving her a three word description of our plans for the day: ‘visits and admin’. Once the briefing is over, I’ll have a second coffee, and something to eat if I didn’t manage it before / during. I’ll get on with admin, to save fighting through morning traffic (unless I need to get someone early doors). I’ll go for a second shit, too.

0900hrs
    Head out and do visits.

1200hrs
    Lunch. Probably a tin of soup or beans, with flatbreads. Depending on how things are, I’ll either look at my phone, or work. Even if I’m looking at my phone, lunch break will be twenty minutes, tops. Depending on how the morning went, or how the month is going, it’s back out for more visits, or admin. But not before another shit.

1500hrs
    Wash my plate/bowl/cup, leave them to dry.

1558hrs
    One of my colleagues will stand up, pull on her jacket, grab her back, and expect us to be ready to leave within ten seconds, regardless of whether we’re in the middle of something, or packed. Depending on how it’s going, I may or may not try to leave at the same time. Usually not. I’ll finish whatever I’m doing (or get to a more natural break) tidy up my desk, and probably go for another shit before walking back to my car and driving home.

1645-1730hrs
    Depending on how quickly I got away from work, how bad traffic was, and whether or not I had to pop to Tesco, I’ll get home. Candy gets out to pee straight away. I might sit down for a minute first, or we might head out for her walk straight away. Once we’re back, she’ll sit on my lap while I catch up with the YouTube channels I subscribe to.

1800-1900hrs
    Organise Candy’s dinner (a scoop of dry, plus meds) and my own. I’ll probably snooze for 15-30 minutes. Then TV / videogames.

2130hrs
    Reminder on my phone to take my meds.

2200-2330hrs
    At some point I’ll remember to take my meds. Depending on how quickly they take effect, and what I’m up to, at some point in this window I’ll actually switch off the telly and go through the routine; let Candy out for her last pee, give her her last meds with a treat, pack my work bag for the next day, head back to the living room where she’s now in bed, and tuck her in. Bathroom, then bed. I’ve gotten into a bad habit of taking my Switch and my iPad, and watching Netflix in the dark before sleep, but for the last couple of weeks I’ve mostly cut that out, to get back to reading.

2330-0030hrs
    I’ll get to sleep, hopefully.

0200-0230hrs or 0400-0430hrs
    There’s a good chance I’ll wake up, I may or may not know why. I’ll usually get back to sleep fairly quickly.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    haha, love that your routine starts an hour before you wake up
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    07:45 Alarm goes off... Repeated alarm snoozing but at some point I'll make a decision to stop and read the Daily Briefing from The Guardian, look at and forget the Dictionary app word of the day and earn MS Reward Points doing the Bing 'Daily set'...

08:08 Finally get out of bed, drink a glass of water, pop to toilet, shower, have breakfast (cereal, juice or smoothie), dress and pack the bicycle pannier.

08:45 Cycle to work via Meadows/Union Canal.

09:00 Possibly stop for a few minutes to admire wildlife and/or talk about films and politics with random guy who walks into town as I cycle out.

09:30 Arrive at work, lock up bike, get changed.

09:40 Sit at desk *.

11:11 Toilet and tea break then return to desk *.

13:00 Lunch and a bit of a walk if weather is ok.

14:00 Return to desk *.

16:00 Toilet and tea break then return to desk *.

17:30 Leave desk, get changed, chat to colleague.

18:00 Escape from colleague and cycle home.

18:45 Some combination of chilling out (gaming, watching TV, music, internet etc.), eating, going to cinema or local meeting (mostly Scottish Greens).

23:45 Head to bed and read for a bit.

00:00 Lights off and attempt to sleep.

* Work takes place at desk (other than meetings), often accompanied by background podcasts and sporadically punctuated by 'brief' internet breaks.
  • This thread is just an excuse for people to boast about the regularity of their bowel movements
  • 7:00 Alarm if shower needed/7:30 Alarm if shower not needed.
    8:00 Walk to work/8:20 bike to work/8:30 Taxi to work
    8:45 Get breakfast in canteen. Flirt with Caroline
    8:50 Pray there has been an update to the PC's or I forgot I'd powered off.
    9:00 Start work. Open can of Monster.
    10-12:00 Somewhere in here will be first break. After this pray for sweet release of death
    12-14:00 Somewhere in here will be lunch. After this pray for sweet release of death
    14:30-16:30 Somewhere in here will be second break. After this pray for sweet release of death
    17:25 Get rid of a call in any way possible if on one, go into break.
    17:30 Get the fuck out of there, lift 3/4 of the way home with colleague if not come on bike.
    17:50 Walk rest of way home if not come on bike. If on bike seen next but now.
    18:00 Get back home, collapse onto sofa.
    18:10 Depending on the day, watch wrestling or play Destiny. Eat at some undefined point.
    23:00 Go to bed.
  • Tempy wrote:
    This thread is just an excuse for people to boast about the regularity of their bowel movements

Christ, I wish they were regular. And there were fewer of them. And they hurt less.
  • 7:00 Alarm if shower needed/7:30 Alarm if shower not needed.

What determines this?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^ Worried me too

that said if I'm only dragging myself across the room to the desk then I don't bother either
  • What I smell like mostly.
  • I’m longing for a regular routine. I had 5 years of the best ever daily routine and I fucking loved it. Now I have no clue anymore
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!