Whats a working day like for a badger (not the animal)?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    I'm the complete opposite Liv, it's great sometimes but I crave routine and lack discipline in so many ways. having a location to go to and work from is near on essential
    I think being self employed helps.
    I'm certainly not perfect but knowing there is no safety net motivates me.

Also I am trying to do a render a day now, got some great response from Instagram folk including some folk from here for the first two. That has become more pressure than I have felt in a long time.
    Plug
    Plug
    Plug
    Follow me @benlathy for mostly dinosaur shit so far but a guarantee of visual brain farts.

I really like this already. Feels like a commitment as well as a creative outlet for whatevs. Fuck it and move on stuff.
  • What I smell like mostly.

How do you know what you’re going to smell like in the morning when you set your alarm?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I guess if he honks bad enough to wake hisself up, then its shower day???
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Going bed. Should’ve gone to bed at or just before 11 FFS. Fucking games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’m pretty sure a daily shower is a minimum requirement
    The Forum Herald™
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Do you people never have a shit in the morning? Its fucking freaking me out. Isn't it the most important thing?

No. No, it’s not.

Ouch
    Spoiler:

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • My wife is at work already and I’m having breakfast with the kids. First coffee consumed and morning poo is imminent.
    You’re welcome
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Andy wrote:
    What I smell like mostly.

How do you know what you’re going to smell like in the morning when you set your alarm?

Unless I become ill in the night, basically the same as when I'm going to bed.
  • The thing that I'm taking away from this is that most of you wake up really early.

8am: Alarm goes off
    8.15: finally crawl out of bed. Partner hits the shower while I make the much-needed cups of tea and light breakfast
    8.45: Make it into shower myself, brush teeth, get dressed, cast last glimpse at bed and try not to fall to temptation to pretend I've contracted a terrible wasting disease so I can quit my job.
    9.10: Leave house for 9.20 train. If partner is in the office as well (we're at the same place a couple days a week) we'll exchange fond memories of when we were still in bed sleeping. If I'm on my own, podcasts.
    9.30: half-hour walk up to office
    10am: Sit down at desk, grab vital second cup of tea to wash away the mental dust.
    10.05-10.30: Go through daily press cuttings (Hi Moot!)
    11-1.30pm: Whatever the day has in store: emails, writing press releases, news stories, briefing docs, or sitting bored in meetings. Around productions there are often photo calls and shoots in the mornings so those are a bit more actiony.
    1.30-2.30pm: Usually take lunch, if I've had the sense to bring something in. I used to try and take a 30 min walk afterwards, but through winter I've sat at my desk and tried to go through the day's newspapers until my boss remembers she'd meant to ask me to do something several hours ago. We're changing this year though and no longer receiving daily papers because we get so much stuff through press cuttings anyway (Thanks Moot!) So will now only have weekend editions to go through. Bang goes my domination of the current affairs round in the pub quiz.
    2.30-6pm: Insert whatever I wrote for the first half of the day.
    6pm: Leave office, walk back to train station for 6.30-ish train, so long as it hasn't been cancelled or is rammed with other people.
    6.50: Arrive home, do washing up and cook something delicious for both of us if we're there, if not then I'll just mash bread and pasta into my face.
    8-10pm: politely arguing about whether to watch a film together or let her watch crap while I play switch. Try to stave off the temptation to go out and buy a bottle of wine to drink, or at least pour us something from the shelf.
    10.30: Bed. Usually for 30 mins to 2 hours of reading, depending how tired I feel.
    Midnight-8am: Sleep in theory. I'll probably manage between 2-6 hours of sleep/dozing before the cycle begins again.

A number of evenings involve opening productions, going along to a show or cinema or other such things as well, so quite often one or both of us isn't home and this entire routine gets thrown out of whack. Such is life.

• My wife is at work already and I’m having breakfast with the kids. First coffee consumed and morning poo is imminent.
    You’re welcome

Consistency report, please.
  • Morning is always a rush. I should really get up at around 6:30 to make sure it isn’t so. But that would require me going bed even earlier, and going to bed on time is something I’m terrible at!

Target is to hit the hay at 11 latest today; see if I succeed.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
    You’re welcome

Consistency report, please.

Like pork mince being fired out of a cannon
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • This thread is comedy gold.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Lol
  • This is the most LinkedIn thread the forum has ever seen.

Has anyone done the gag of signing up to LinkedIn as Patrick Bateman and posting in character? They must have, right? That’s got to be a thing that’s been done already.
  • I'm mostly surprised we haven't seen any 'I get up at 4am, two hours before I went to bed' style posts.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    This is the most LinkedIn thread the forum has ever seen.

Has anyone done the gag of signing up to LinkedIn as Patrick Bateman and posting in character? They must have, right? That’s got to be a thing that’s been done already.

I was going to but I remembered I had to return some video tapes.
  • I’ve forgotten who I had lunch with earlier, and even more important, where.
  • My basic work day routine is pretty dull. I'm not a morning person so get up as late as poss, but I also really love a 'snooze' button hit, so have to adjust the initial alarm to allow for one.
    7:20 alarm and snooze
    7:30 get up, wash, dress. feed dog, let him out for a piss. make kids breakfast. leave for work about 7:50
    8 to 16:30 - drink coffee, browse forum, do work
    bedtime usually between midnight and 1am. shits happen when there's a brief window of opportunity (see below)

where my schedule gets interesting is with the kids footy/activities outside of that, so here I'll derail the thread with my 'week' schedule for daughter 1 and daughter 2. it used to be a mix of swimming, dancing, gymnastics and footy, now it's basically all footy.
    Monday -
    6-7pm D2 girls team training - I coach.
    7:30-9pm D1 at Guides (not footy but keeps the schedule busy)
    Tuesday - nothing!
    Wednesday-
    5:30-6:30 D2 boys team training - I don't coach
    8-9pm D1 girls team training - I help coach
    Thursday -
    D1 normally involved in after school play rehearsal or footy team until 4:30
    4:20 - 5:20 D2 trains with newcastle foundation
    7-8pm D1 trains for county team
    9-10pm I play footy, injuries permitting
    Friday -
    6-7:30pm D1 trains with newcastle foundation
    Saturday-
    D1 would have training with her boys team (which I help coach), but this usually clashes with match for her girls team (which I help coach), so one or the other.
    D2 plays matches for girls teams - her own age (which I coach) then plays up a year to help (which I don't coach).
    Generally though we need to be somewhere by 8:30 for one of them, and won't all be back home until about 2pm.
    Sunday-
    Both play matches for their boys teams, generally finished by 12

Wifey is around to help on weekends, but works until 6:30 during week.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • poprock wrote:
    This is the most LinkedIn thread the forum has ever seen.

We're just waiting for Google to return to fulfill that requirement
    Gamertag: gremill
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My bowels used to work like a Swiss watch.

Just thought I'd state that.

They don't any more. They never recovered after the time I had an impaction that took a bit of shifting; including the use of suppositories.

I go daily just not at the same time any more; hence the absence of any reference to it in my routine.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • As I'm lying in bed before getting up for a backshift, I'll do that.

Midday - get out of bed and hit the shower. Sometimes I'll snooze til quarter past the hour and rush it. Same shower gel every day until it runs out and I move on to another one, but I like to switch up what hair and face stuff I use, just to keep it fresh. If I'm extra tired I'll use the Body Shop Green Tea Hair Scrub and really get a tingle going to wake me up. (see? A bit of Bateman here)
    12:30 - dressed with towel still being used in hair, I'll go downstairs and get a bowl of cereal, and make sure the kettle is filled and on its way to boiling. These days I'm enjoying honey cheerios, or some equivalent. Whole milk always.
    12:30-1300 - eat cereal but also read on my phone (forum/twitter) and also towel dry my hair and brush.
    1300 - fire up the aeropress and make a big fuck off coffee for the journey. My main mug is 800ml approx and there's half a litre of that being milk. In total it takes about ten mins to make, what with the grinding of beans and heating up and frothing of milk. Yeah it's a showy and a faff but it makes me smile drinking it and yknow, life is what you make of it. I'm happy.
    13:15 - jump in the car and bail
    13:35 - arrive at work and start the arduous task of finding a legitimate space. Fail miserably and park on a mound that security will sticker me for with a ridiculously strong adhesive on my back window. It's at this point I open WhatsApp and respond to the myriad of things shona has sent my way. It really could be anything. She's honestly Leslie Knope, and I'm kinda Ron.
    13:45-1400 - Change into uniform, look into mirror and sigh.
    1400-1700 - take phonecalls from a coordinator giving me jobs of patient movement, blood movement, or random odd jobs passed our way. The coordinator can either be a super nice but incredibly forgetful old man, or a super turbo prick depending on who's on. This makes a difference as to how I'll feel throughout the day. On days where my give a fuck tank is low, I adopt the "Three Jobs Then Pee" method. The avg time for a job is 20mins, so if I complete three and there's 10-15mins left on the hr? Well I go for a nice wee sit down pee, really treat myself.
    1700-1730ish - dinner. Usually a M&S pasta of some kind, but sometimes the hospital restaurant offers something decent. And there's a kfc down the road I'll go to if I'm feeling cheeky.
    1730ish-2200 - more of the first half but hopefully by 8pm it quietens down. (a 1000-1800 shift you're busy all day)
    2200 - leave work. Drive home with loud music on as it fuels the euphoria of escaping.
    2215 - arrive home. Set about making something quick.
    2300- whenever - sit in front of the telly and most likely play something if I'm not watching stuff with her. Maybe smoke a doob or two. Barely drink although the Xmas rum has been there recently. Peppered with comms either between myself and Shona or me and my close mates on Xbox Party.

Whenever - fall asleep.

Shit I better get outta bed now.
  • 6.50 - alarm
    7.20 - out of bed, shower (every day, smelly people). Shit if needed, prefer to wait til I get to the office
    7.30 - coffee
    7.50 - leave the house, grab the train to charing cross, will generally listen to podcasts or browse the forum
    8.50 - arrive to work, more coffee
    9.00 - shit if not done so already
    9.30 - 1pm - work
    1 - 2 - lunch, second shit as needed
    2 - 6pm - work
    7.30 - arrive home (this is the earliest I'll get home, if busy, can be later)
    7.30 onwards - watch youtube or something.
    11pm to 12am-ish - sleep

I'll normally grab something to eat on the way home, a pasty or sandwich, I rarely cook during the week.

I'm extremely envious of those who can finish at 4pm or so, I can often not get home til 8 or 9pm, later even during crunchy times. Work life balance can get out of whack. Personally I think one of the best things for everyone would be switching to a 4 day week, I work far too long and far too hard tbh, going to get to old age, look back on my life and think, fuck, I spent 5 days out of every 7 working for someone else. It's bollocks. 2 days a week to ourselves and fuck all evening time. Still, I enjoy the job which is important, but even then, it's criminal how little time we get to ourselves.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I like the idea of two teas

What do you do Moot?

I slice magazines and newspapers in half and feed them into a scanner.

I still dont understand what moot does. Why do you slice mags and papetsin half and scan them?

I work for what used to be known as a press cutting agency. Now that part of the business is so minor I'm amazed we've still got jobs (most of that side of production is gone to outsourcing and whatnot, but the scanning room clings on like a limpet). There are a surprising amount of publications that don't offer digital content, so we physically scan them and send any mentions to clients - via India - while waiting for redundancy.

Thanks now i understand
  • First poo of the day. Been so busy havent had time.
  • I think I go to bed later than everyone else and wake up earlier than most!
  • I can't do it any more, haven't been able to for years.  If I get less than 7hrs I'll be eyeing up a nap the day after.
  • The way my stomach is these days my daily routine IS my shitting routine.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I am very envious of everyone who has decent schedules, I'm all over the shop thanks to uni and shift work.

Anyway it tends to be a combo of these days

Working a Weekday at the Vaults

8am-8:45am Alarms to get me up so I can get washed, dressed, brush teeth, leave the house etc  No shower cos i prefer evening showers than rushing them in the morning. If Ev is working a Day shift I will get up a little earlier to help her eat and get ready, I tend to eat at work.

9:05-9:15am get the bus so I can get to work. We have to open by 10am, and I prefer to get in at 9:45 but if I am working with another key holder I might cheekily hold back and be the second opener so I can afford to get there 5-10 minutes before 10.
    During my short wee walk to the bus stop I tend to try and force myself to listen to some new music, before inevitably falling back on some heavily rotated stuff. (Richard Dawson's 2020 at the moment) 

9:15-9:45-955 On the bus I tend to try and read something like a book, or now Manga on my tablet, but inevitably end up on forum and SocMed stuff. I get to work and we open the office and vault.

10am-6pm We work! I can't split this up because it's highly dependent on customers. Through the day we have sign ups, renewals, enquiries, gold purchasing/selling customers, office work to do, emails to send, social media posts to write, emails and phone calls to respond to, errands to do for the boss, cleaning, and so on. We have no designated breaks or lunch and customers take priority so it not unusual for my 2pm lunch to be interrupted by a customer. It's very unpredictable so big swathes of the day can be dead, at which point I try my best to do something productive online away from the cameras, but usually just end up on the forum and twitter. We tend to close and be out the door and locked up at 6pm, unless customers have ignored the tons of messages, signs and website information that tells them we shut the vault at 5:45pm and they just need one minute! one minute in the vault!

6:05-6:35pm Catch the bus home. Will stop off at Co-op to grab food if there is nothing in, or if Ev wants me to grab something. Get home at about 6:45 and get changed and settle down. Usually take an hour off to do some stuff like browse the web, tidy, get ready for cooking.
    7pm-11pm Depends! We'll usually cook and eat, and spend our nights doing stuff separately. We share the living room but do stuff on our own computers. Ev will usually be doing some portfolio work (if she's home, she might be working til midnight) and play games, whilst I'll either post online, paint, play a game, or do uni work. It's hard to separate them all cos they're all done on the same desk, but I try and carve out an hour or two where I focus on uni.
    11pm-11/12pm Ev starts getting ready for bed cos she takes longer than me, or she's just finishing work and is heading back. Either way I end up in bed at around midnight. Depending on how we're feeling we'll watch an hour or so of something light. At the minute it's Avatar the Last Airbender. This is a bad habit, but we do it anyway.
    1am-3am I inevitably struggle to sleep because I get restless leg syndrome which seems to have no root cause beyond it just happening. I will generally stagger bleary eyed to the kitchen and drink a pint of water and let my body cool down before going back to bed. It's the worst. Even though I am mentally exhausted my leg just jolts every few minutes which makes it impossible to sleep.

Working a Friday at the Vaults and at the Bar
    Everything is the same up until 6pm when I catch the bus in to town, walk up to the bar, get changed and then work from 7pm til Midnight. I try and nip downstairs for a toilet break around half nine cos I feel I deserve it when smokers get two or three unchallenged breaks during this period. If I am on Stock I tend to find time to check the forum in between shifts of hauling beers and spirits around. If I am on the floor it's just 5 hours of carrying glasses and is very tiring. We close at Midnight and cleaning generally takes 30 to 45 minutes and is also tiring. I walk down to Ev's work, The Solid Rock Cafe for about 1am and then we get a taxi home and go to bed for about 1:30/2am

Working a Saturday at the Vaults and the Bar
    If Ev hasn't been working and we got to bed at an ok time we'll get up around 9am-10am, otherwise we tend to get up around 10:30 unless Ev is working an opening in which case it is earlier. I dunno. This whole time is a blur. I try to leave the house at 11am to get in to work for 11:45am. ALl the above applies, its just the same shit different day.
    12-5pm Work at the vaults. Tend to eat two crumpets early on and then have some coffees throughout the day. We only used to work until 4pm but nowadays it is getting very busy at weekends so we have to work til 5pm. I prefer it. There are only two of us on at the weekend though, rather than two and a manager, so it can be hectic.
    5:05-5:15 I get the bus to the Solid Rock Cafe and take advantage of Ev working there to get free/cheap food and free/cheap drink. Usually Ev will be on a split so she'll have her break between 4 and 6 meaning we might grab a meal in town and hang out. I like it when we do, but it's hard to afford it often. She works in the basement bar so I will generally sit there and eat as she opens it for 6pm, then at 6:40 I head up to the bar to work at 7pm. It is the same as friday, except with twice the staff and three times as busy. It's also a lot louder and I hate it. We get ok tips though? I walk down to Ev's work, The Solid Rock Cafe for about 1am and then we get a free drink (unless the owner is there in which case I do not) and then we chat about shitty bar work and life until 1:45am and then get a taxi home. In bed and trying to sleep by 2:30am Would you believe that my restless leg is generally worse on days i've been working at the bar? Well it is. Might be asleep by 3am if I am lucky, 4am if I am unlucky.

Working Sunday at the Vaults
    Exactly the same as Saturday, except no bar shift! If Ev is working I'll go to the bar and wait for her to finish at 6pm then we'll go home together, usually shopping at Lidl to get stuff in for the week. Then we'll wash up, do laundry, and just zone out for a few hours. This is generally reserved as NO UNI TIME so I'll paint or game for a few hours, eat, then get ready for bed around 10pm and do the usual bedtime ritual of watching some Anime or something. I need to change this, but it's a comfortable habit.

BONUS TERM TIME
    I do a Masters, that is Monday - Wednesday. 12-5pm on Monday and Tuesday, 10am-2pm On Wednesdays. It's basically the exactly the same as working, except we get a half hour break at some point. If Ev is doing late nights I will generally be sticking to her schedule and getting up late before Uni. If she isn't we will get up earlier and spend an hour or two doing chores and stuff together. Evenings are the Same as Sundays, except I will be doing Uni work - generally modelling stuff in 3Ds Max and watching tutorials that I barely understand. Bed time depends on what Ev is doing, either 10pm or Midnight is the go to bed time, depending. 

Days Off Usually this is Thursday and Friday, though I might have to do bar work or vault work on these days depending on Rota. It's the same as above. If it's off, I tend to Get up at either 9am/10am or 1pm if I have done a particularly tough weekend. I try and split the day into uni and enjoyment, but honestly because of my work life I find it a lot easier to in the evening so usually 12-4pm is just a mess of gaming, painting and writing if I have pitches to do, or articles that I have been commissioned on.

It's a total mess, and to be honest most of this changes depending on how tired, depressed, happy, or enthusiastic I am.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    7.45am Get paid to shit at work.

Most important comment in this thread. I plan most of my work day around that paid-for dump.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!