Microsoft Flight Simulator - PC/Series X-S/Cloud
  • That's Face's house. He's a legit billionaire.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • This is me flying west from some tiny little strip in Bhutan in the beautiful DA62 which I was learning how to use, wonderful plane. I reduced the amount of fuel before I took off as I didn't think I would need that much but I ended heading off on epic trip across the Himalayan foothills, and it turned out I was heading towards Paro airport which is one of the most dangerous in the world so I thought I'd try and make it to there.

I climbed over 14k feet, probably burning fuel very fast, and got about 2/3rds the way there before my engines conked out. I had to try and figure out how to land it safely, it was just hills and valleys all around and no airports in range that I could glide to. I aimed down a complex series of huge valleys that would allow me to descend a good distance, down to around 4000 feet. With no thrust I barely made it over several ridges without stalling, and chose a landing spot between trees next to a river down in the bottom of a valley and near a road. Somehow managed a very smooth landing though it was pretty bumpy. In real life that valley is probably covered in rocks or just a massive river, but still I like to think I would have walked away from that one.

dNkFLt6.png

raj1oOJ.png

PtsylUn.jpg

EV5Geet.jpg

pgKwATl.jpg
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Top pics again gents, appreciated
  • This is what I mean about the beauty of it. So the non-photo cities aren't that great close up? I couldn't really care when the lanscape is so amazing. It's the sheer size of the place that's humbling in a small plane.

Trouble is, the photo cities aren’t that great close up, either. Although I guess everything’s in its right place.
    Not knocking the general landscape stuff though, that’s great.
  • It seems to think the streets of New York are covered in trees, which is, erm...

Washington has the Black Lives Matter paint on the road, but seemingly not the US Capitol building?
  • Imagine trying to qa this.
  • I don’t know if this sort of thing ever happens, but they should leave it to the community to fix stuff, obv through some sort of review process.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It seems to think the streets of New York are covered in trees, which is, erm...

Washington has the Black Lives Matter paint on the road, but seemingly not the US Capitol building?

Is that maybe a throw back to 9/11? Is the pentagon in the game?
  • Yes, I landed on top of the Pentagon.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes, I landed on top of the Pentagon.

Reported
  • JMW wrote:
    I don’t know if this sort of thing ever happens, but they should leave it to the community to fix stuff, obv through some sort of review process.

They've talked about how during the beta people have reported inaccuracies and sending in real pictures for them to use to fix stuff. You can report things here I think - https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new  There's also the main forums for discussing stuff - https://forums.flightsimulator.com/

It's worth keeping in mind that this is the entire Earth that they are representing here, the vast majority of the detail is done via AI automation, and that will be improved constantly over time. They can go in and manually fix stuff too, though that is obviously more labour intensive and will take time. I haven't had a look at the SDK or anything yet, but in theory you can model your home area in great detail and add it to the sim if you like. The main integration of improvements into the vanilla game and addon content are two different things though, but I'm sure they've thought of a good process for all this.

I think there's definitely some uncanny valley going on at times, the lighting and cloud systems are so good that any awkward details stand out like a sore thumb, and it's easy to focus too much on those and miss the forest for the trees.
  • BTW I really encourage people to try some of the more realistic settings, and spend a little time getting to grips with a few aircraft, start off with the simpler planes such as the Savage Cub. There are checklists that basically tell you everything you need to do to get the thing in the air, you can skip a lot of the checks and procedures if you like and just focus on the basic mechanical stuff to get everything humming along.

It just makes the experience a lot more immersive and tactile, and less like flying around in GTA but with a bigger map. The added challenge really adds to the thrill of flight too.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Hang on, are you trying to tell me they haven't modelled the entire earth from scratch? Whats the fucking point?
  • If anyone is about for some flying around give me a shout. We should do some cool bush trips this weekend at least.
  • I am in about an hour.
  • @ me on the discord when you're ready.
  • Actually I'm out. Sorry. Had a poker ticket tourney that's worth quite a bit and has just reminded me I'm in. It's a biggie. Next time for sure.
  • TheBoyRoberts
    Show networks
    Xbox
    The Boy Roberts
    PSN
    TheBoyRoberts
    Steam
    TheBoyRoberts
    Wii
    BoyRoberts

Send message
    Fantastic pic folks, really wetting my whistle.

Other than a 10 minute blast where I took off from my local airport (Newcastle) and tried and failed to find the Tyne Bridge, I've not had a chance to explore.

I've got a Hotas-X hopefully turning up today to spice things up a little.

Are any of you using a flight stick?  Any tips for setup?
  • This is almost like an Apple TV 4K Screensaver. Beautiful pics.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Finally hooked up my PC to my 4K tv, this game looks beautiful. The twins were hogging the controller, will dive in at the weekend.
    Things can only get better.
  • Fantastic pic folks, really wetting my whistle. Other than a 10 minute blast where I took off from my local airport (Newcastle) and tried and failed to find the Tyne Bridge, I've not had a chance to explore. I've got a Hotas-X hopefully turning up today to spice things up a little. Are any of you using a flight stick?  Any tips for setup?

I'm currently using a Thrustmaster TCA stick, MIDI controller for throttle and other controls, and a keyboard and mouse. Works great.

We should totally get a group together soon, maybe later on today if people are available. Exploring in multiplayer is a ton of fun.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Thanks for becoming my friend on Xbox/GamePass/whatever it's called Gurt! :)
    I've followed a few others, is there a group ala Steam for B&B members?
    Things can only get better.
  • Fnially remebered where WGB saves screenshots.

Landing outside my house:

SMJGtyL.png

Me, Gurt and SG preparing to take off.

BlkDsXd.png

And I've discovered that this doesn't really do stadiums... at all really. This is Botlons ground. No wonder they've been struggling.

wPeOVFD.png

And here is the Stretford end in all it's glory, the Glazers in this timeline having realised their dream of selling the ground off for flats.

t7vLvtU.png
  • Ooft, you guys are gonna get a massive fine in the mail for that runway incursion
  • Are those dynamic puddles outside your house then, Dante? Was it actually raining outside when you saw wet ground in-game?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Ooft, you guys are gonna get a massive fine in the mail for that runway incursion

We have to have a game of this with as many of us as we can and shabby doing the air traffic control. It'll be like herding cats.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Lowest settings, looking good.
    hqdefault.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!