Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Trans issues are a real flashpoint on the left right now, I’m not really sure where I stand on any of it.

On the one hand, I tend instictively towards accepting self-identification, on the other, I recognise that I won’t be at the sharp end of any issues that could theoretically arise from the acceptance of this and that those that are should be heard out and their concerns taken seriously.

Quite how to balance these two sets of rights is beyond me.

Surely the answer is simple. You can self identify as trans, and as a matter of politeness that should be it. But if you are running for election which is on a woman-only shortlist, there should be some discussion of what, if any, safeguards there should be about abuse of the right to self-identify. There should certainly be scope for debating this policy without being shouted down as transphobic, listed on private Facebook groups as such, and targeted for ousting from the labour party, sacking from your job atthe NUT, or both.

• LarryDavid wrote:

I get the point, though. In an ideal world pubs across the land would add an extra ‘lavatory for people of indeterminate gender or with gender confusion issues’. But that’s unlikely to happen. Plus the Mail would go mental about it if anywhere did.

I've always felt the ideal solution is just to have toilet stalls of no fixed gender. Get rid of urinals or have them in a desperate section where possible.

SFV - reddave360
  • Free catheter bags handed out by the bouncers when you walk in?

Although I suppose some girls might feel a bit less sensual and sexy dancing to ‘I Feel Love’ with a big bag of piss strapped to their ankle.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Trans issues are a real flashpoint on the left right now, I’m not really sure where I stand on any of it.

On the one hand, I tend instictively towards accepting self-identification, on the other, I recognise that I won’t be at the sharp end of any issues that could theoretically arise from the acceptance of this and that those that are should be heard out and their concerns taken seriously.

Quite how to balance these two sets of rights is beyond me.

Surely the answer is simple. You can self identify as trans, and as a matter of politeness that should be it. But if you are running for election which is on a woman-only shortlist, there should be some discussion of what, if any, safeguards there should be about abuse of the right to self-identify. There should certainly be scope for debating this policy without being shouted down as transphobic, listed on private Facebook groups as such, and targeted for ousting from the labour party, sacking from your job atthe NUT, or both.

I don’t disagree with any of that, I do think it should be open for debate.
  • And what a debate it’s been!
  • Have you seen the Lily Madigan tweets? The problem is this is a confused teenager. She is barely competent, forgets about meetings (eg about women's refuge) and instead organises some trans talk at a clashing time. But then the militant terfs say "he's incompetent" and it becomes about the hurtful use of pronouns. It's just misdirection. Women only posts should be reserved to women who are biologically women or have a gender recognition certificate. Self identifying women should be able to run on their own platform - a trans one could be reserved to self-identifying trans (and those who transitioned with GRC).

But this lily Madigan ia obviously a deeply troublesome factor. Organising secretary Facebook groups, keeping data about people with a view to ousting them from the labour party... It all screams vexatiousness, and I doubt someone this incompetent would have been elected but for the ability to misdirect criticism so as to win a sympathy vote.

Anyway, moral of the story, women shut the fuck up. Some feminists are going really nuts about this.
  • Trans women will save us all, I am convinced.
  • When they're older.
  • Right, as far as I can tell, this is what has kicked everything off:

DT2vSSFX4AEFOvV.jpg:large

I'm baffled as to how this ended up taking us to where we are.
  • I think that is another CLP - Lily Allen's, up in Kent or summat.

That was a Vauxhall CLP meeting to discuss self-identifying trans women to run for reserved posts.
  • Now, Lily Allen has proposed that motion. Doesn't discuss the detailed criticism, presumably to deflect and conflate it all as abuse. Meanwhile, keep a list of all critics (of the idea of self-identifying women running as women's officer) and plan complaints for transphobic abuse.
  • Organised via a private Facebook group
  • And apparently using CLP data to verify identities and so on.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    I think that is another CLP - Lily Allen's, up in Kent or summat. That was a Vauxhall CLP meeting to discuss self-identifying trans women to run for reserved posts.

From what I can gather that's been copied throughout several CLP's, so I presume this was proposed in Vauxhall too, and people took issue with the final section hence that meeting.
  • Ok fair enough. Well I object to the bold assertion in that para, at least as far as it goes for protected posts for women.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Anyone who'd have our support for their group at the expense of us falling out with others isn't true to their cause.
  • Story is in the times now.
    a month for 3 months.

Labour suspends activist in transgender row
    Lucy Bannerman
    January 27 2018, 12:01am, The Times

Jennifer James said Labour had a secret police group
    Jennifer James said Labour had a secret police group
    Save
    The founder of a crowdfunding campaign to bar transgender women from all-women shortlists has been suspended from the Labour Party after her name appeared on a “secret hit list” submitted to party officials.

Jennifer James, 51, a Labour activist, set up the campaign this month to fund a legal challenge to the decision to open all-women shortlists up to “all self- defining women” regardless of their legal gender. She says that she supports greater representation of transgender people but that that should not mean fewer places for those born female.

Two days after setting up the group, the names of Ms James, a former physics teacher from Liverpool, and dozens of other supporters appeared on a list compiled by members of a closed Facebook group called Labour Against Transphobia. The group is run by Aisling Musson, a political science student at the University of York and disabled students officer at the university’s students union. Its members include Angela Rayner, the shadow education secretary, and Wes Streeting, Labour MP for Ilford North.

In a post seen by The Times, Ms Musson explained to members that the “intention of the spreadsheet was only ever created to hold evidence of transphobia, which could be emailed to compliance to get people kicked out of the party”. The evidence included links to social media posts and invitations to public meetings to discuss proposals to change gender identity laws.

Within 11 days of the list’s circulation Ms James received notification from Labour officials that she had been suspended from the party, which she joined in 1990. At least two of the women on the list have reported the matter to police. One said that she was expecting “a brick through the window any minute”.

Lily Madigan, a women’s officer for the party, who is transgender, admitted being “vaguely aware of a list” but screenshots seen by The Times show her discussing it in detail with other members of the group.

Ms James said: “Labour has, essentially, a secret police group with a hit list, picking off crowdfunder women signatories one at a time. I have been suspended for saying women don’t have penises and men don’t have vaginas.”

Emma Salmon, 51, whose Labour membership number was also shared among the group, called it “a vigilante witch-hunt to collate evidence on those who were trying to stand up for women’s rights, [which is] seemingly endorsed by the party I was a member of”.

Helena Wojtczak, 59, who has never been a Labour member, found herself on the list, having supported the crowdfunder. She said she felt “great empathy for trans women”, who she felt were being used as a “political football” by misogynists to launch a covert attack on women.

The list includes many other campaigners who have raised concerns over the implications of allowing people to self-declare their gender.

Ms Musson declined to respond to questions about the list. Ms Rayner could not be reached for comment.

Mr Streeting said he joined the group “because a group against transphobia sounds like a good group to be part of” but said he did not condone the “tactic” behind the list.

The Labour Party refused to say whether its officials were aware of the list, or what they planned to do with the information. A party spokeswoman said: “The Labour Party takes all complaints seriously, which are investigated in line with party procedures.”

Wes Streeting. Never impressed
  • And the "hit list" hosted on FB group admined by lily Allen, who denies she has anything to do with it even though she has posted on it and decided who gets let in.

Check out @PilgrimTucker’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/PilgrimTucker/status/957275750654201857?ref_src=twcamp^share|twsrc^android|twgr^default|twcon^7090|twterm^1
  • What this witch-hunt needs is more witch-hunt. Witchhuntception.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I could self-identify as a female shot putter and I'd still come last.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Actually, sport’s an interesting case study for this.

How does the IOC deal with trans athletes?
  • Awkwardly, iirc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think it comes down to the level of male content from the Y chromo. For sure, no regular dude's allowed to compete against women.

It's the same problem as classifying disabilities in athletics. The logical thing there is to allocate division as numbers best allow. You can afford to be stringent if you've hundreds of athletes versus a handful.
  • Diversion back to internet as judge and jury etc..

https://goo.gl/fKCmrE

8 times Nasser could have been stopped.

Bastard.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • It's staggering the amount of times in that link the girls spoke up to coaches etc... and nothing came of it.
    The police didnt do much either.
    What are the girls meant to do, because they've done the sensible thing (the thing you are often told to do as a child) and brought it up to a authority figure?
    What's best practice? Go directly to the police every time instead of all these disparate sporting bodies? Surely the sheer amount of complaints will force the police's hand?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It sometimes feels like there is, or was, an acceptance among the parents of child stars that this stuff will happen.

It does give the whole child star/adult fuckup cliche another dimension.
  • He said that Dushku’s accusations were “absurd” and added: “Who in their right mind would do something like that, when you’re a high-profile coordinator on a shoot like that with months left of shooting?”

So, he’s definitely guilty, then.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Is that a claim that the accusations of sexual assault are absurd, or that the accusations that he deliberately orchestrated the incident in which she was injured are absurd?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!