Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Is that a claim that the accusations of sexual assault are absurd, or that the accusations that he deliberately orchestrated the incident in which she was injured are absurd?

Both, I think.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    There are so many believable scenarios with most of these assault claims. As a stunt coordinator he would've been fairly intimate with actresses, and I wonder if he was particularly pervy about it.

I can't think of a case where I've suspected the famous person of telling outright lies, but the sway they hold over norms is an invitation for an escalation of facts if they're that way inclined. If this guy's guilty of lesser charges he should own up to them. Was it her hotel room and he just rocked up? If he lured her, what were her parents doing... So many more questions than answers.
  • All of the failed / b list actors now accusing Weinstein and other powerful men, you could say it has the hint of resentment about it - ie at the time, maybe you decided to put up with it (or use it?) to further your career, but now you wanna rationalise it as a one way assault.

But with Dushku there is no such thing - she had zero reason to suck up to a stunt coordinator, and neither did her parents.
  • So you're saying that she and her guardian are lying, because the narrative that you read on the internet doesn't make sense to you?
  • No, I'm saying the opposite. Jesus Christ.
  • I got you Gonzo, although first part is a little bit heading down the rabbit hole of he said she said and over emphasising the problem of false allegations.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    No, I'm saying the opposite. Jesus Christ.
    Ah, sorry, my bad.
  • Facewon wrote:
    I got you Gonzo, although first part is a little bit heading down the rabbit hole of he said she said and over emphasising the problem of false allegations.
    I'm purely speculating, obviously Weinstein has a pattern of predatory behaviour and I reckon dozens of women haven't said owt, because they were successful afterwards. In other words, they viewed him as a bad experience but they got a good "deal" in return. Those that did complain obviously got a bad deal - kissing an ugly creep, or watching him wank or whatever it was, in return for nowt. It is also a ground for suspecting the purity of their motives - ie you wouldn't have complained if you got the part, why were you in a hotel room alone with him? Etc etc (not saying these justify his actions or negate victimhood, just a different common sense context)

Dushku already had the part. She was in the movie. She was working with this guy and had to be with him. He is a stunt coordinator and not a powerful producer. Why would she lie? It seems unbelievable that she would lie. That's why this allegation is even more troubling, particularly as she blew the whistle straight away.

It speaks to a complete paranoia in how business that if you speak out about anything/anyone, you fear being blacklisted. It's the only reason I can think why a parent would do nothing
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I suppose the question you need to ask (in Weinstein's case) is is it really consensual if there is the quite credible threat that if you dont sleep with him then you career is over?
  • Yes. (as a matter of law anyway)
  • There was an Israeli case a few years ago, a woman had slept with a Palestinian Muslim who had pretended to be Jewish. The court convicted him of rape. Absolutely ludicrous decision. Consent means consent to the act, not the background motivations. if you are capable of giving consent and you give it, that isn't rape.

But it is gross misconduct for a producer to abuse his dominant position.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In the legal definition yes, I agree, but morally I don't think it is.

I don't know what the laws are in the US but that type of behaviour (which presumably happens here just as much as there) would cross some sort of work place sexual harassment law?

(in reply to yes, not the second post)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    There was an Israeli case a few years ago, a woman had slept with a Palestinian Muslim who had pretended to be Jewish. The court convicted him of rape. Absolutely ludicrous decision. Consent means consent to the act, not the background motivations. if you are capable of giving consent and you give it, that isn't rape.

But it is gross misconduct for a producer to abuse his dominant position.

But you could compel someone to commit a sexual act on you using the threat of violence and that would presumably by rape. Compelling them to do the same with the threat of destroying their professional aspirations is the same is it not?
  • An extreme case might one day be held to impair consent, but would have to be tightly defined. But at present, no. A threat of violence is a lot clearer, and even then we have cases recently lost before a jury because the man made the case that he had a subjective belief that intercourse was consensual
  • Escape wrote:
    If he lured her, what were her parents doing...

We’ve heard this before, for example in relation to the Spacey thing and I’m sorry, but it’s bollocks.

When I was younger, I was heavily into amateur dramatics. Because I could be relied on to show up (and hopefully because I had some talent, but probably mostly the reliable thing) I was one of a few who got plucked from the children’s groups and used in the adults groups. Operas in the spring, Shakespeare in the autumn. My folks gave me countless lifts up there, delighted at the opportunities I was getting; I became friends with Lady Aberdeen, and I performed with Prince Edward, John D. Collins (one of the two British airmen in ‘Allo ‘Allo) and people who I’m told were pretty big deals in the opera world. And then there were the parties. Luvvies to like a party.

Were my parents there all the time? Of course not. Rarely, in fact. When it came to playing Puck when I was fifteen, I was so involved in rehearsals, I’d be there first thing in the morning until last thing at night. Endless hours away from my parents, in the company of people they trusted because I saw them as friends.

Looking back on it, a couple of the men probably enjoyed my company a little more than they should, but fortunately they never overstepped any boundaries. For the most part they were great people who I looked up to, and whose company I wanted to be in.

Would it have been reasonable for my parents to spend all that time there as well, just in case there was a sexual predator in the group? Of course not. It’s not something that many people thought was a widespread problem. It would never have occurred to them that there was any risk. It wouldn’t even be possible; they had jobs to go to. They certainly wouldn’t deny me the opportunities I had and stopped me going. And that’s at an amateur level. Imagine how it scales up; your kid is in a major Hollywood film with massive stars. Are you going to keep them in your sight non-stop throughout filming? Deny them the opportunity to make friends with those established in the industry? Stand like two prunes in the corner of the room at a cast party where you don’t fit in? No. You’re going to be delighted that your kid is experiencing things and making friends that you never could.

Well, maybe not any more. But we can’t judge people’s actions then on what we know now.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    There was an Israeli case a few years ago, a woman had slept with a Palestinian Muslim who had pretended to be Jewish. The court convicted him of rape. Absolutely ludicrous decision. Consent means consent to the act, not the background motivations. if you are capable of giving consent and you give it, that isn't rape.

I’m sorry, I have difficulty with this. Consent is given to a person, not just their penis.

Put it this way, if I convinced your granny that she needed to give me two grand so I could pay for an operation for my sick child, and it turned out I used it to buy a TV and I have no kids, would you say tough luck to your granny, because she was capable of consenting to handing over the money?

How about if I got into bed with your sleepy girlfriend, wearing your aftershave so she thought I was you, and took her from behind, without any use of force?
  • Andy wrote:

How about if I got into bed with your sleepy girlfriend, wearing your aftershave so she thought I was you, and took her from behind, without any use of force?

Sup, Joey montagna.

• I suppose the question you need to ask (in Weinstein's case) is is it really consensual if there is the quite credible threat that if you dont sleep with him then you career is over?

In Scots law, that’s not consent.
  • The Sexual Offences (Scotland) Act 2009, on circumstances where consent is not established:
    Where Person B was under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
    Where Person B was asleep or unconscious.
    Where Person B only consented due to being threatened with violence by Person A.
    Where B consents whilst unlawfully detained by A.
    Where B only consents because they are mistaken as to the nature of the conduct, due to A's misrepresentation.
    Where B only consents as a result of A impersonating a personality known to B.
    Where someone other than B consents on their behalf.
    Where B initially consents, but then withdraws their consent during the sexual act.
    Where B is mentally disordered and so incapable of understanding the nature of the activity.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It doesn't appear to be included in that list
  • Hang on, though. Goobs, do you mean a literal credible threat (if you don’t suck my dick you’ll never work again) or a perceived notion (this guy is connected, if I don’t suck his dick my career might suffer). Because those are a bit different, and the latter one is cloudy as fuck.
  • It doesn't appear to be included in that list
    Yeah, I realised you probably didn’t mean what I thought you meant at first.
  • Andy wrote:
    legaldinho wrote:

I’m sorry, I have difficulty with this. Consent is given to a person, not just their penis.

Put it this way, if I convinced your granny that she needed to give me two grand so I could pay for an operation for my sick child, and it turned out I used it to buy a TV and I have no kids, would you say tough luck to your granny, because she was capable of consenting to handing over the money?

Well, I hope they don't have you working rapes! As far as I know Scots law is the same as English law. The example you gave has nothing to do with rape. In England it might be another offence (obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception?), Sure there is an equivalent in Scots law, but consent to sex (even if induced by financial pressure) is still consent. There has to be no consent for penetration to be rape. Otherwise a hell of a lot of bosses would be rapists, instead of just dirtbags.

But then again if we are talking morally then I agree.

• Facewon wrote:
    Andy wrote:

Sup, Joey montagna.

I believe there is a precedent for that to be rape. Here it's a lot clearer that the defendant knows victim does not consent to sex with him.

• Andy wrote:
    Hang on, though. Goobs, do you mean a literal credible threat (if you don’t suck my dick you’ll never work again) or a perceived notion (this guy is connected, if I don’t suck his dick my career might suffer). Because those are a bit different, and the latter one is cloudy as fuck.

It says right there in your list, threat of violence.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Well, I hope they don't have you working rapes! As far as I know Scots law is the same as English law.

Luckily for all concerned, they don’t. We do have our own act, though, and while there is a detailed list of specific circumstances where consent is not established, my understanding from when they rolled out the training was that that list did not preclude other things which did not meet the definition of ‘free agreement’, and that coercion meant that there was not a ‘free agreement’.

Luckily, though, I’m about to start studying for an exam that will probably cover this, so I can clear up my apparently hazy knowledge of the subject.
  • When you do, you'll probabrealise why it's so difficult because impaired consent has to be subjectively known to the D. But you're right, the law is still in development, changes all the time.

I still feel sorry for that Palestinian tho
  • legaldinho wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    Andy wrote:

Sup, Joey montagna.

I believe there is a precedent for that to be rape. Here it's a lot clearer that the defendant knows victim does not consent to sex with him.

Sad thing is, I may have my AFL footballer rape cases muddled. @skerret help.

I think it was him and Milne where the woman concented to sex with one and the other snuck in.

I know that was the case that was dodgy as fuck because St Kilda police had a lot of stuff Kilda supporters and the club called in favours. Ffs.

The sports angle on this subject would get depressing as fuck so quick if it ever really blows up.

NFL always hints at it. NRL and AFL I'm sure are under reported. NBA I know is. Crime in sports pod about Bernard king. Jesus christ.

Kobe situation also probably true.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Imagine how it scales up; your kid is in a major Hollywood film with massive stars. Are you going to keep them in your sight non-stop throughout filming?

On the lot, no; I'd be generally hovering in the background. But this sounds like a 12-year-old with her own room in a hotel that her parents weren't staying in. If that's correct then it's about sense, not trust. Anyone could've been in that hotel, whatever the era (Clare Quilty). If they were there and she told them, what did they do? Maybe she had an appointed guardian during filming? She continued to work with him afterwards, so who failed her by not replacing him?

The parents aren't to blame for the actions of others — that's not what anyone's said, but guilty of naivety at best and neglect at worst... well, from the sketchy deets I've read that seems possible. Unless she had a guardian whom they trusted after consideration. It's very different to a kid being snatched while they were out playing on their own.

When it comes down to it, it shouldn't lessen the charge in any way. No-one here's ever said that. Gonz and Greer have chosen to separate rapists from dirtbags, as Hollywood's always been well-known for its sleaze:

Germo wrote:
    If you spread your legs because he said 'be nice to me and I'll give you a job in a movie' then I'm afraid that's tantamount to consent, and it's too late now to start whingeing about that.

Allen's deffo a wrong 'un, though.
  • Escape wrote:
    ...guilty of naivety at best and neglect at worst...

Again, no. You’re still making judgements based on knowledge you have after the fact. If this argument isn’t actually a sub-set of victim blaming, it’s very closely related, and it’s not helpful to the dialogue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!