Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • I could probably benifit more from you rage quitting the forum again.
    Hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha hahahaha

You are a coward Dante. You know you are scared to back up your claims. Deep down you know your views are bullshit. Just social media playground shite.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Could we keep it on the robust but not nasty side, gonz?

Please.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So what's the answer Gonz, just ignore transgender rights?

There's plenty of extreme rhetoric from both sides, I don't see why listening to transgender people and being suspect of big names with a large platform like Webb and Linehan chipping in to a rhetoric that can be actively harmful towards other people.

There's obviously an issue reconciling feminism and trans rights, but I don't think there's a cut and dry answer to it. 

It's fairly easy to be totally tired of Linehan banging his drum, because he's gross about it and utterly refuses to engage in any kind of constructive debate. Given his platform, that's pathetic. Don't equate people criticising Webb and Linehan with not having thought about this stuff.

Regardless of Twitter, I have trans pals. They have different opinions and views on this stuff, but most of them don't like being demonised or constantly talked over. That's not hard to empathise with.
  • No, I just couldnt give a shit about you and your nonsense Gonz.
  • Tempy wrote:
    So what's the answer Gonz, just ignore transgender rights?

You know it really is quite telling that you even wrote that as an opening gambit.

• No, I just couldnt give a shit about you and your nonsense Gonz.

I know you know I know you're a coward.
  • I don't know what you mean by that. 

I'm not trying to win an argument with you or anything. I never know why the only way you have of communicating on here is being abrasive and trying to demonstrate your intellectual superiority to others. 

I've already said I find this matter confusing, if you're going to be your typical online self about this then go for it. I'll keep reading the thread, but there's no point me trying to engage with you when you treat it all like a game.

I have my biases, yeah. You being a dick about stuff and acting like you've got one over on me doesn't help me, or anyone else.
  • I know you know I know you're a coward.

What a convincing line of debate. I’m swayed.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Could we keep it on the robust but not nasty side, gonz?

Please.
    I wasn't nasty until the dude decided to play the man.

I genuinely believe social media is making people like this nuts. You join a gang, and you defend that gang, against the other gang. If you think Linehan and Mumsnet aren't the devil, you must deny transgender people their rights.

For the record, the times story was 100% true based on the information they had. It was based on the charity's own own information.

People should absolutely be concerned about this. The fact that people are now scared to voice their concerns because an army of uninterested, childless bien-pensants will hammer them is very worrying.

What a strange world we live in.
  • For the record, the times story was 100% true based on the information they had.

And you have the temerity to laugh at people.
  • Right OK, I get it now. You're taking me saying that straight up me proposing a binary between Trans rights and agreeing with/not vilifying Linehan. 

I'm not trying to get a debating society win over you here, I just don't know what you intend to be the outcome of halting progress, if not in some way abandoning the fight for transgender rights. If you think there's a middle ground there, I'm all ears.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I don't know what you mean by that. 

I'm not trying to win an argument with you or anything. I never know why the only way you have of communicating on here is being abrasive and trying to demonstrate your intellectual superiority to others. 

I've already said I find this matter confusing, if you're going to be your typical online self about this then go for it. I'll keep reading the thread, but there's no point me trying to engage with you when you treat it all like a game.

I have my biases, yeah. You being a dick about stuff and acting like you've got one over on me doesn't help me, or anyone else.

It's perfectly clear what I meant by it - that you have bought into a binary world view. World's more complex than that. The truth is Linehan is probably a bit socially conservative, but also a bit rightly concerned. He probably ly started off meaning well, but then he gets hammered, and entrenches. That's how life works. It doesn't mean we can just dismiss his or Mumsnet views.
  • I found Linehans approach had a nasty vibe which was both distasteful to read and disappointing as he had previously seemed a great guy and obviously I'm a big fan of his work. Webb on the other hand, whether I agree with him or not, made his case in a more reasonable manner. Maybe I'm being unfair to Linehan in this way but thats how I saw it.

As for the topic overall, I'm certain there are individual cases to be made for early blockersbut as a parent I cant say I would endorse it. Its not that I have any issue with trans people of any style, but more I know what I was like as a child, as a teenager and I've seen nephews, nieces and friends kids grow over the past 20 years. Children are ever changing and while you want to give as much freedom as possible there are lines which I feel make sense to me - something which could have massive repocussions to later development in a physical or mental needs a parents decision and not just given in to the whim of a child who is still finding their own place in the world. 

@Gonzo - you know if you start with the volume at max, there's nowhere else to go right?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Tempy wrote:
    Right OK, I get it now. You're taking me saying that straight up as a binary that I've presented you with. 

I'm not trying to get a debating society win over you here, I just don't know what you intend to be the outcome of halting progress, if not in some way abandoning the fight for transgender rights. If you think there's a middle ground there, I'm all ears.

There was a go fund me for a trans woman. 34, slightly balding, came to it too late. I gave her some Dosh for a procedure in Portugal. Ideally 21-25 you know where you stand. But I'm wary of doing owt to kids until they are of age. Including retarding puberty. I don't trust putting chemicals into kids sure, dress up as a boy, call yourself a boy, even get the school to adapt. Nothing irreversible or dangerous.
  • Andy wrote:
    I know you know I know you're a coward.

What a convincing line of debate. I’m swayed.

You know, I might almost believe you carry over feuds across threads. But that would be so unlike you Adam.
  • Maybe I do have a binary world view, sure. I empathise with trans people quite a lot. I don't think Linehan goes about his concerns in any kind of manner that befits a person with a platform of his size. He's actively adding to an atmosphere of abuse that trans people have to suffer already. I think there should be less of that. I don't know how to reconcile that with the valid concerns that feminists have.
  • You know, I might almost believe you carry over feuds across threads. But that would be so unlike you Adam.

I’m not the one being a cunt here.
  • Right OK, I get it now. You're taking me saying that straight up as a binary that I've presented you with.  I'm not trying to get a debating society win over you here, I just don't know what you intend to be the outcome of halting progress, if not in some way abandoning the fight for transgender rights. If you think there's a middle ground there, I'm all ears.
    There was a go fund me for a trans woman. 34, slightly balding, came to it too late. I gave her some Dosh for a procedure in Portugal. Ideally 21-25 you know where you stand. But I'm wary of doing owt to kids until they are of age. Including retarding puberty. I don't trust putting chemicals into kids sure, dress up as a boy, call yourself a boy, even get the school to adapt. Nothing irreversible or dangerous.

I can't say I disagree with that. The brief stint I did at the School placement had one or two kids coming out as trans in a population of over 1000, I don't know if those are high or low numbers. From what I read about Mermaids, they weren't advocating the use of chemicals and HRT. The issue comes later on, when they're 16-18 and have more medical autonomy, and the blocking of access to those procedures increases the likelihood crippling their mental health, and worse, suicide. But what if they change their mind later? Then what? If there's an answer, it's beyond my grasp. I wouldn't ever claim otherwise.
  • Tempy wrote:
    He's actively adding to an atmosphere of abuse that trans people have to suffer already.

Show me a single tweet where he does that. Like I said, I don't have Twitter so I had to look this up.

I actually quit Twitter because of the terf-trans battol. I felt like a voyeur.

• Tempy wrote:
    He's actively adding to an atmosphere of abuse that trans people have to suffer already.
    Show me a single tweet where he does that. Like I said, I don't have Twitter so I had to look this up. I actually quit Twitter because of the terf-trans battol. I felt like a voyeur.

https://www.dailyedge.ie/graham-linehan-4-4273823-Oct2018/

Bad enough that the police had to issue him a warning.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Can I see an actual tweet? Because that story is suspect af. First of all, "warning" could be "listen please don't contact her , she has been calling us non stop for 5 hours". No press reports not from an actual journal - no online drama sites paying 13 yos for stories off Twitter masquerading as news.

I want to see a tweet that adds to the abuse that tempy's friends endure. Then I'll call him a dick

(But my point about escalation and descent still stands. And I think these people are right to scrutinize mermaids)
  • Tempy wrote:
    Right OK, I get it now. You're taking me saying that straight up as a binary that I've presented you with.  I'm not trying to get a debating society win over you here, I just don't know what you intend to be the outcome of halting progress, if not in some way abandoning the fight for transgender rights. If you think there's a middle ground there, I'm all ears.

I can't say I disagree with that. The brief stint I did at the School placement had one or two kids coming out as trans in a population of over 1000, I don't know if those are high or low numbers. From what I read about Mermaids, they weren't advocating the use of chemicals and HRT. The issue comes later on, when they're 16-18 and have more medical autonomy, and the blocking of access to those procedures increases the likelihood crippling their mental health, and worse, suicide. But what if they change their mind later? Then what? If there's an answer, it's beyond my grasp. I wouldn't ever claim otherwise.

We need a bill of rights for dicks and vaginas. 2/3rds majority to reverse so add an extra 8 years to get to 24 yo before you can actually fuck with your penis /vagina what alla gave you

• First of all, "warning" could be "listen please don't contact her , she has been calling us non stop for 5 hours".

You know fine well that it doesn’t mean that, that there is no dubiety about precisely what that phrase means.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Oh I thought this was Des.  But that's Lynam.  Now I feel bad.
  • Can I see an actual tweet? Because that story is suspect af. First of all, "warning" could be "listen please don't contact her , she has been calling us non stop for 5 hours". No press reports not from an actual journal - no online drama sites paying 13 yos for stories off Twitter masquerading as news. I want to see a tweet that adds to the abuse that tempy's friends endure. Then I'll call him a dick (But my point about escalation and descent still stands. And I think these people are right to scrutinize mermaids)

I dont do twitter either but I dont think a warning falls under your description and certainly would not go reported. if you search that story you will find it on several sites so I dont think its sus. 

I did find this and while its not about the issue and I think it shows Linehans general tone when revering to things. https://www.dangerous.com/42785/hypocrisy-graham-linehan-celebrates-death-free-speech/
    It's not pleasant and while it doesnt mean he is wrong in a broad sense, he strikes me as someone who is so full on to the cause in their mind they are excusing any behaviour.

This is also an interesting read into the manner of Linehans tweets - http://richardhcooper.blogspot.com/2012/05/look-at-conduct-of-graham-linehan-and.html - it also links into some stuff by the guy here -https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/365142724275478528

Like I say, his tone feels full of venom and detracts from his points rather than helps them. You know how some on the internet get.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Andy wrote:
    First of all, "warning" could be "listen please don't contact her , she has been calling us non stop for 5 hours".

You know fine well that it doesn’t mean that, that there is no dubiety about precisely what that phrase means.

Actually you may be right, as the call came from West Yorkshire police, same force that went after Rosie Parker (no charge from CPS) after a complaint foromnthe CEO of Mermaids UK, from whom that force had received training.

So actually you may be right, it probably was a stern warning.

Nice Bobby work if you can get it.
  • Nice Bobby work if you can get it.

Is your suggestion that they warned him with insufficient evidence to do so? That they did so in a biased manner?

So, they acted reasonably when it suited your argument but, when it didn’t, they acted unreasonably.

It’s a strong, evidenced based argument you’re putting forward here, Gonz. Impressive.
  • I don't follow Linehan. He tweets a thousand times a day, the handful of times I hear about it him is when other people are talking about him. I'm not sure that expecting me to be able to link to a single tweet is useful here, when it's clear that the reason many trans people don't like him is because he spends a lot of time flattening the nuances of the debate by aggressively going after organisations like Mermaids by organising a campaign on Mumsnet. People who have been helped by, or wish they had been helped by organisations like Mermaids seeing a prominent Left Wing figure with a large platform scrutinise them through by association thanks to his constant (and correct) criticism of people like Aimee Challenor. I know he attempts to support and highlights some Trans people, but he doesn't engage with others like Paris Lees. Like you say, it's become a war where people pick gangs. I am not and have never really tried to eke out a position beyond empathy.

That's a lot of words to say no, I can't find a single tweet, but I don't think that stops his use of his platform as an issue. There simply has to be nuance here, but he like many has made it a battle where he is entrenched on one side.

Edit: I think Dave summed it up quite well. I don't think Linehan is wrong to have reservations and concerns about certain people and the intersection of trans rights and feminism, but he doesn't need to tweet "all trans people are devils" to come across poorly.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Can I see an actual tweet? Because that story is suspect af. First of all, "warning" could be "listen please don't contact her , she has been calling us non stop for 5 hours". No press reports not from an actual journal - no online drama sites paying 13 yos for stories off Twitter masquerading as news. I want to see a tweet that adds to the abuse that tempy's friends endure. Then I'll call him a dick (But my point about escalation and descent still stands. And I think these people are right to scrutinize mermaids)

I dont do twitter either but I dont think a warning falls under your description and certainly would not go reported. if you search that story you will find it on several sites so I dont think its sus. 

I did find this and while its not about the issue and I think it shows Linehans general tone when revering to things. https://www.dangerous.com/42785/hypocrisy-graham-linehan-celebrates-death-free-speech/
    It's not pleasant and while it doesnt mean he is wrong in a broad sense, he strikes me as someone who is so full on to the cause in their mind they are excusing any behaviour.

This is also an interesting read into the manner of Linehans tweets - http://richardhcooper.blogspot.com/2012/05/look-at-conduct-of-graham-linehan-and.html - it also links into some stuff by the guy here -https://twitter.com/Glinner/status/365142724275478528

Like I say, his tone feels full of venom and detracts from his points rather than helps them. You know how some on the internet get.

I clicked the first link. Two tweets calling people dumb. Is that what is "actively adding to an atmosphere of abuse that trans people have to suffer already"

Should I click on the other links? You know I won't be happy if I do and it's more fluff pieces from internet blogs showing Linehan being, well, normal. On twitter people get into arguments and call each other dumb, and worse. I want to see a tweet where Linehan is actively adding to an atmosphere of abuse" etc
  • Show me evidence, people. Not that evidence. Other evidence.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!