Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    RWers completely failing to grasp even the most basic satire is one of the few joys I have left.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    I consider any gender presentation a choice, and a fucking interesting one at that. I think I'd rather have the apparatus around to cope with bad choices than prevent those choice up front in this case, since they don't seem to have massive structural repercussions right now. Let 1000 gend0rs bloom.

Agreed.
    I know why some doctors advocate to treat gender dysphoria pre puberty: they can begin hormone treatment before gender phenotype is set into stone. Body hair, manly cheekbones, breasts, a deep manly voice, secondary sex features in general, it makes for a more convincing sex transition. Phenotypic at least.

But like you mentioned, I too believe sexual presentation to be a choice and forcing a child to make that choice so early in life is a bit much. We don't trust kids to drive, we don't trust kids to vote yet we trust kids on gender identity when they want to switch?

By the by, I also know a trans guy. His family and my girls family have been friends for aeons. She used to play at his house when he was still a little girl. Nice chap and a very gentle soul.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What would the Wimbledon committee do if Andy Murray turned up in a dress, saying he identified as a woman?   That could extend his career a tad.

Sports in general could find this problematic I feel.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • That sounds like Jeremy Irons asking "Could a father not marry his son?"
  • Sports already do find it problematic, don’t they?

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/news/commentary-the-complicated-case-of-transgender-cyclist-dr-rachel-mckinnon_480285

Different sports set their own rules, but they generally seem to centre on how much testosterone is present in the bloodstream.
  • davyK wrote:
    What would the Wimbledon committee do if Andy Murray turned up in a dress, saying he identified as a woman?   That could extend his career a tad.

Sports in general could find this problematic I feel.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.wtatennis.com/sites/default/files/wta_gender_participation_policy.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi6zKLGvvLfAhUE1hoKHY2lBPoQFjACegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw14kwavbo-DKLRecYVzzXZy
  • poprock wrote:
    Sports already do find it problematic, don’t they? https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/news/commentary-the-complicated-case-of-transgender-cyclist-dr-rachel-mckinnon_480285 Different sports set their own rules, but they generally seem to centre on how much testosterone is present in the bloodstream.

And it makes things real shitty for people like Caster Semenya who have to take testosterone blockers.
  • I think competetive sports are probably the most difficult aspect of the debate. 

It's tricky because really it's not even about transgender people competing, it's the specific issue of post-puberty male athletes who identify as female.

I don't think anyone would have an issue if someone who is identifying as male wants to compete in male sports, nor presumably would anyone have an issue if someone had transitioned to female either during or by putting off puberty and was then taking female hormones as (someone page Dr Tin to confirm) they wouldn't have developed typical male musculature and bone density and the all other guff that gives males in most cases a a physical advantage. 

Testosterone in the blood would definitely be one way, but if you were already a big dude before you transitioned, then you're still going to have that muscle mass available for a bit even with the lowered testosterone. 

Maybe one workable method is that all trans athletes have to serve a specified amount of time after transitioning before they can compete, in addition to then meeting medical requirements for maximum levels of testosterone.

It all feels a bit horribly one sided though in it's weighting towards men who identify as women and still want to compete and it doesn't really help get rid of the RIDICULOUS notion some people have that there are people who being of sound mind, would choose to transition to female and take all of the societal bullshit that comes with that in order to win at sports.

EDIT: Just went and read up and apparently you already have to pass a year of hormone treatment before you can compete after transitioning to female at least for the NCAA, so that's already a thing. So, iunno.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    … and it doesn't really help get rid of the RIDICULOUS notion some people have that there are people who being of sound mind, would choose to transition to female and take all of the societal bullshit that comes with that in order to win at sports.

The ’80s were rife with comedians on TV joking about Soviet female athletes taking testosterone and looking like men. People have this notion because it was fed to them as entertainment.
  • Sadly Poppo, you are correct, also sadly, smdh for all the people who are still informed today by the things they heard nearly 40 years ago.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • poprock wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    … and it doesn't really help get rid of the RIDICULOUS notion some people have that there are people who being of sound mind, would choose to transition to female and take all of the societal bullshit that comes with that in order to win at sports.
    The ’80s were rife with comedians on TV joking about Soviet female athletes taking testosterone and looking like men. People have this notion because it was fed to them as entertainment.
    Thing is, there *was* widespread doping programs in East Germany and Russia back then, so it's not just apocryphal.
    I remember reading a particularly heartbreaking article a while back about some of the female athletes from the era who *weren't told* what their team doctors were giving them, and who suffered all kinds of unwanted side effects from it. Can't remember where I read it though, soz.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember this lady from my teen years. She won the 400m and 800m in the 1st World Athletics Championships. 

Her 800m WR from 1983 still stands.

Jarmila Kratochvílová

https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/d6049e1e72db43be86f8ecc5bcb6e575/jarmila-kratochvilova-cze-competing-in-the-1983-world-athletics-championships-dgn1m0.jpg
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Caitlyn Jenner competed against all those men and still kicked their ass.
  • That is quite the camel toe.
  • Here's another egregious example of the problem. Another nutcase, vexatious person shouting for attention..

https://twitter.com/anyabyke/status/1085243542543499264?s=20

https://mirandayardley.com/en/jonathan-yaniv-is-a-predator/

This guy has mental health issues, or is a pedophile with a tampon /period fetish abusing the trans equality movement to access female spaces. And people voicing their concerns on twitter are getting banned.

Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • You'll note one of the links is to a FB post where he complains about immigrant women, who he doesn't seem to like much at all.

But he is ok with walking into a wax place and ask a Muslim female attendant for a wax, and suing her when she says no

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.dailycaller.com/2018/10/23/opinion-report-from-canada
  • The problem appears to be users and moderators having shitty, poorly thought out reacts to events on social media.

There is always a tiny minority of people who either through mental illness or deliberate criminal intent will abuse a system. What are we saying here? That because people on Twitter just shoot their mouths off or get busy with the banhammer without thinking or reading properly when they see something that on the surface looks like transgender discrimination that there is a problem with trans access to female only spaces because poorly informed trans activitists on Twitter are erroneously shutting down debates?

• Roujin wrote:
    The problem appears to be users and moderators having shitty, poorly thought out reacts to events on social media.

There is always a tiny minority of people who either through mental illness or deliberate criminal intent will abuse a system. What are we saying here? That because people on Twitter just shoot their mouths off or get busy with the banhammer without thinking or reading properly when they see something that on the surface looks like transgender discrimination that there is a problem with trans access to female only spaces because poorly informed trans activitists on Twitter are erroneously shutting down debates?

I'm saying there should be careful consideration before accepting self-ID as the only test of gender for access to female only spaces. Men are more likely to predate on women and young girls.

There are people online who leap to defend people like this guy as a victim, btw. For them questioning = phobia.

This includes some people ITT who have decided that certain public figures are transphobes /terfs just for questioning.

https://youtu.be/50Sv5LpB1oE

A more accessible version of some of the weirder posts by this person.

• I'm suggesting people are transphobes because of what I see as their transphobic views, not because of any questioning.

Perhaps this is a shit analogy, but it's like someone showing concerns about fat people due to the health of the nation and cost on the NHS, rather than admitting they just don't like fat people. It's hiding bigotry behind concern.

I think I've said repeatedly that concerns around 'fast tracking' (what does that mean in this instance, exactly?) hormone blockers is a worthwhile topic of discussion (I also requested a link). And I think I've also suggested that focussing on micro cases doesn't serve the broader discussion around trans rights particularly well (insomuch as, I think both sides could use person xyz as a case for/against). I think I've been open to discussions around everything raised here, including the right to self-identify (which I stated I don't have a clear opinion on, I know mtf people who are against it).

But despite that, the response is mis-gendering, from ITT and from articles linked (it's probably wrong of me to assume we're all agreed on the difference between gender and sex, but we can save that for a different time).

I mean, this is a useful discussion, I don't have many 'gender critical' (that's the term we have to use now I think?) people in my circles, but I do have trans people, so perhaps I'm insulated from the contrary position. I wonder if others ITT can say the same.
  • I've not seen any misgendering ITT. Where is it?
  • "This guy has mental health issues" - you're referring to someone who identifies as a trans woman, I thought? Whether you like this person or not, if they see themselves as a woman then I feel (for non official purposes such as referring to them) you may as well use the female pronouns etc. I mean, why wouldn't you? What difference does it make? This isn't determining whether they get access to xyz.

One of the articles you linked even states "misgendering" as "correctly identifying sex" when it's pretty widely accepted that gender is a construct and separate from sex.

I've been reading whilst I'm working though so apologies if I've mistaken something.

I mean, the article is tagged with 'autogynephilia' which is a pretty debated term in itself, I thought.
  • nick_md wrote:
    "This guy has mental health issues" - you're referring to someone who identifies as a trans woman, I thought? Whether you like this person or not, if they see themselves as a woman then I feel (for non official purposes such as referring to them) you may as well use the female pronouns etc. I mean, why wouldn't you? What difference does it make? This isn't determining whether they get access to xyz.

One of the articles you linked even states "misgendering" as "correctly identifying sex" when it's pretty widely accepted that gender is a construct and separate from sex.

I've been reading whilst I'm working though so apologies if I've mistaken something.

I mean, the article is tagged with 'autogynephilia' which is a pretty debated term in itself, I thought.

Well that's true, I generally use people's preferred pronouns and I would to this guy's face. (No need to be rude) But based on the evidence, (and unlike Stephanie what's her name, who while she is clearly a shyster I have no evidence of male predation and pathological abuse of gender identification), I, like terfs, decided to refer to him to make clear what I think of his claim to having transitioned. Im clear that this is a cross dressing guy who seems very interested in young women, tampons, and periods.

I just linked to a site which has all the links in one place. Do I need to say that isn't an endorsement of the views of the author? I don't know what they are.

Gender is indeed a construct. That is a central feminist message. Sex is not a construct, it is biological. It is entirely real, though biology is such that people can fall through dimorphic cracks, so to speak.

What terfs say is sex is real and society has developed cultural norms around it. We should be careful ditching them altogether. Because there are spaces where women feel safe around other women. A person who used to be a man and now says they're a woman should not, ipso facto, have unlimited access to those spaces. A GRC would work. Self ID is open to abuse. Agreed or not?

Does asking this question make one transphobic?
  • How do TERFs square things like unisex toilets or changing spaces in their access to spaces debates?

Genuinely curious.

The Understudy bar at the NT for example has a pretty big unisex only toilet facility and it works really well as far as i can tell. No urinals, all cubicles are full height fully enclosed. Security are also able to easily pop in and keep an eye on it during peak times.
  • In sensible circles, no.

Probably don't ask it on Twitter.
  • Moving away from the transgender debate for a moment …

Glasgow City Council have just been ordered to pay out £500m in back pay to low-paid female workers in an equal pay settlement. Could be something like £35k per individual.

And yikes to this part, about how they plan to fund the payments:
    Glasgow City Council is now going to have to put plans in motion to release the funds required to make the settlement. It is thought that the council will transfer a number of revenue-generating sports and cultural properties into an arms-length business that will then mortgage them in order to raise the necessary cash.

I do not like the sound of another bloody ALEO running some of the currently brilliant culture and sport properties. That way lies shitty upkeep and loss of key staff.

But fuck yeah for the equal pay ruling. Slightly less so for the fact that it’s gonna take two years before they actually raise any wages or pay out any settlements.

Full story here.
  • Why isn't the money coming from central government for this given the size of the payment required???

Oh noes we fucked up pay, time to sell off revenue generating assets that could pay off the funds loaned from central govt over time???

Inb4 obvious link between the new operator and someone at the council
  • I think you nailed it there. And somewhere a banker is rubbing their hands with glee at the interest to be earned on these newly-mortgaged major cultural assets.
  • Roujin wrote:
    How do TERFs square things like unisex toilets or changing spaces in their access to spaces debates?

Genuinely curious.

The Understudy bar at the NT for example has a pretty big unisex only toilet facility and it works really well as far as i can tell. No urinals, all cubicles are full height fully enclosed. Security are also able to easily pop in and keep an eye on it during peak times.

I imagine they don't object - customer decides. Unisex toilets tend to be single person places, right.

Don't generally have any time for toilet-based arguments. Some people say they're soundproofed and people don't feel safe... I dunno

Ditto women only shortlists etc ... Well, it's up to the electorate.

Swimming pools, gym changing rooms, women's spaces more generally, I have sympathy for social conservatives.

As for the more extreme forms of trans activism (eg lesbians who won't date trans are transphobes, that kinda thing) I think they clearly can fuck off

• Roujin wrote:
    Why isn't the money coming from central government for this given the size of the payment required???

Oh noes we fucked up pay, time to sell off revenue generating assets that could pay off the funds loaned from central govt over time???

Inb4 obvious link between the new operator and someone at the council

Glasgow CC is a corporation, and their liability insurance obviously did not cover this. It's not the Scottish government's responsibility.

Tesco next I think
  • Thanks for that business clarification there ozno, ta! What a fucking shit sandwich. I presume most county councils are therefore corporations? What is the reasoning for that? Or is it something to do with devolved powers to Scotland from Westminster? Fucking sucks either way.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!