Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Indeed, before his notorious fall from grace, Pistorius also went through a lot of shit.
    Quite different circumstances, but somewhat relevant, and in some ways, less controversial.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Maybe her competition should just git gud.
  • The Pistorius issue was interesting as well. Again, he was capable of running at a very high level and was comparable to the top able bodied runners, but he didn't have race winning pace.

I get that the blades take less energy to use and the reduced vertical movement improves his aerodynamics but on the hand, he doesn't have any lower legs, so idgi, is the IAAF scared that someone who is handicapped might be faster than an able bodied field? Would we see the world's top athletes lining up to get their legs cut off at the knees?

I find the whole recent developments in terms of classifying athlete performance really interesting. I sometimes wonder how interesting stuff like the Olympic games is going to be to general audiences once humanoid machines are able to physically outperform humans as a matter of course.

I'd rather watch a machine run at 100mph on two legs than watch a human shave 0.001 off the 100m WR, to be brutally honest.

FeelsSpeciesTraitor man.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Haha!

I think of a similar case where, if we live in a world where we have performance enhancing drugs and CRISPR right now, then why are we watching a troupe of normies' every 4 years, when we can have a blockbuster featuring a gang of man/alligator hybrids juiced up on roids?
  • Has anyone here read the CAS decision before weighing in with their tuppence? It's 6 pages long and is incontrovertible.

I think I know the answer
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Did you?
  • I skim read it, but as a lawyer that's my skill. You should read it properly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Given that many people with greater knowledge of the domain than either you, or myself, have read the summary of the verdict, but are still arguing over it, probably nullifies this relatively insignificant exchange.

I originally weighed in with a pair of questions, I think. Not an opinion on what is, or isn't fair.

And there's nothing wrong with being technical. It's cherished here.
    But there's no real need to be churlish.

Anyway... As you're claiming an erudite insight into this case, and as I did actually raise a valid question, how did the report address this specific concern?

I wrote:
    ...If it were as clear cut as you suggest, then why is the ban only specific to certain events (apparently, she can still run long distance events)?

It's actually quite hard to find a summary of that specific point for the layman online.
  • Has anyone here read the CAS decision before weighing in with their tuppence? It's 6 pages long and is incontrovertible.

Spoiler:

I understand their ruling, I just don't understand why its being applied now, to someone who is a dominant athlete but does not hold any world records in any if the events she competes in as far as I am aware.

It's like someone said, shit, she got born with internal balls, okay well she needs to be medicated down to a normal testosterone range for a woman.

But what I don't understand is how if she is basically competing like a man, she hasn't blasted the world records in every event she's entered. Are they now going to start testosterone testing every athlete? Can athletes with low natural testosterone levels now start taking extra testosterone and Jack themselves up to the permitted limit?

I mean, should the AELTC test Serena Williams? Or should they have tested Sampras in his ridiculous serving game prime?

Should rugby players from the south Pacific region all be tested?

It seems like the thin end if a very tricky wedge to me, is all im saying. It would be a lot easier if Caster Sermenya had been smashing WRs al over the place, but she hasn't as far as I can find on the ol' internet.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin wrote:
    Has anyone here read the CAS decision before weighing in with their tuppence? It's 6 pages long and is incontrovertible.

Spoiler:

I understand their ruling, I just don't understand why its being applied now, to someone who is a dominant athlete but does not hold any world records in any if the events she competes in as far as I am aware.

It's like someone said, shit, she got born with internal balls, okay well she needs to be medicated down to a normal testosterone range for a woman.

The IAAF ruling was a general one; Semenya took it to CAS: that's why CAS made a decision in her case - because she asked them for one.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    After a quick Google, it appears the scientific study that the ruling was based on, found a particular advantage would be conferred to such an athlete in:

- 400M
    - 400M Hurdles
    - 800M
    - Pole Vaulting
    - Hammer Throwing

But... This ban only addresses the track events. Not the field events, in which there is apparently an even greater skew in performance outcomes...

That was the point I was trying to draw attention to.
  • nick_md wrote:
    They should just do athletics on classes like other sports: t-level, weight or something.

This.
  • Does seem like the way forward.
  • If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls' sports, such as hot oil wrestling, foxy boxing, and such and such.
    SFV - reddave360
  • As a note: they will only apply the testosterone rule to people who have XY chromosomes. A woman with XX chromosomes will not be subject to the testosterone limits (although you wonder what happens if some other occurance can cause this).

I think it’s interesting they skate over a lot of stuff which is hard to measure and zone in on the easy thing. The thing is if it was as night follows day that xy chromosome Women were superathetes we’d see more but even in the context of the Indian runner she’s barely hitting top performance in Asian games so I don’t think it really proves it.

Maybe there is some other way to determine the line between female and male competition but I don’t think they really care to really work at it over the most ostensibly easy version.
  • nick_md wrote:
    They should just do athletics on classes like other sports: t-level, weight or something.

This.

Actually there’s probably a load of short arse, lightning fast men that couldn’t cut it against 6 foot sprinters but would trounce the women.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Has anyone here read the CAS decision before weighing in with their tuppence? It's 6 pages long and is incontrovertible. I think I know the answer
    Spoiler:
      It would be a lot easier if Caster Sermenya had been smashing WRs al over the place, but she hasn't as far as I can find on the ol' internet.

Well perhaps she’s not actually particularly good at running in the first place and these super manly hormones make her merely very good which is enough to win at the moment but not take any WR’s?

Not actually trying to be flippant there but that kinda puts the whole mess into a perfect little sentence.  There’s no way of knowing what benefits she as an individual has actually gained for use in the world of running fairly fast.

Edit.  But on a compassionate and personal level it’s really fucking shit for her.
  • More than ok.

Some very very good stuff in there.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Brooks wrote:

. listen for the other’s presence, fearing a rival but terrified to be alone

There’s a truth. I mean it’s got a classic Facebook philosopher about it (xxxxxx Y; zzzzzzz the reciprocal of Y) but the sentiment stabs me in the gut.
  • Take a look at replyguys.txt (@guyinthereply): https://twitter.com/guyinthereply?s=09

No particular Tweet. There's just some gold in there.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Humans please stop being so shit at things.
  • https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/invisibilia/id953290300?i=1000434743447

This is a pretty cool podcast where the story of an a reformed incel gets created twice for the podcast (once as a pitch/training) and the way that both stories are completely divergent despite having the same content.

Introduced me to the word “Himpathy” which also made me think about the Danny Baker stuff in the racism thread.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    She's 34.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • What the fuck is that?!
  • I dunno what I just saw but I feel like it was pretty great.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!