Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • It was a lover's spat. You should hear both sides of the story before you judge no? Of course the ex will say bad things about his ex, especially a lover scorned. Which makes him not the most reliable of witnesses.

Also beware of mob mentality when not all evidence is present. It only leads to gamergate style hysteria. Not a pretty sight.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    serial abuser
    Quoted with no context as you may wish to redact that at some point as it's potentially libellous. I assume criminal proceedings had neither been sought nor completed

Can you or gonz highlight to me the plethora of examples of men who've been publicly and repeatedly alleged to have been dodge who've turned out to be upstanding citizens? Because apparently there's a long list, and we should definitely mostly erring on the side of disbelief in victims.

facepalm etc.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Wait, you actually think she was sleeping with Nathan Grayson for media exposure, based on her exes blog post?
    Wait, does gonz actually believe that she slept with Grayson for a good review of her free game Depression Quest on Kotaku, when Kotaku has never ever published a review of Depression Quest, and the single mention of it Kotaku ever made was in a "5 free indie games to check out" roundup article that Grayson wrote a month before their relationship?

I mean, some people are hella gullible, I suppose.
  • How exactly does one delete their account on here?
  • Hey, please don’t leave.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Hey, please don’t leave.

• @Facewon where is the middle ground in all these competing circumstances.

These are what I consider to be reasonable expectations:
    1. Victims and allegations taken seriously
    2. Alleged perpetrators have presumption of innocence

Further there are reasonable observations
    3. No legal system is perfect
    4. Probably more victims get ignored than innocent people get prosecuted

Those points are relatively non controversial. But the controversy arises when names get named. For lack of better term, people who get named face the weekly two minutes of hate. This is not limited to peers and colleagues but the tangentially related global hashtag audience. Is it any wonder these people can end up suicidal?

As someone opposed to capital punishment I find it incredibly disturbing to see someone driven to suicide becaused of twitter heat (regardless of whether they did it or not, death is never an appropriate punishment). I know it wasn't death by another's hand, but there isn't much distinction here.

And yes, this is to say nothing of the harassment campaigns against victims of abuse that me too and gamergate targets that is well documented. But that doesn't lie at a nexus of competing rights for dignity (8chan trolls etc are morally reprehensible and I don't think it really needs to be stated less I be misconstrued intentionally by someone).

My real concern is this whole discussion is something unsuited and far too easy to devolve into a collateral damage fest when held on social media platforms. Death is a high price to pay for being a shitbag, by anyone's hand including their own. People should feel as uncomfortable about that as they should about any single instance of uninvestigated sexual assault.

And for the record, one high profile victim of a false me too accusation is Johnny Depp.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    As someone opposed to capital punishment I find it incredibly disturbing to see someone driven to suicide becaused of twitter heat.

That strikes me as quite a large assumption on your part. Do we have any idea if Twitter heat even contributed to this, let alone caused it?
  • An accusation (likely a true one) via the media and cutoff from former employers/colleagues? Surely not a coincidence.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not sure how Twitter is responsible for any of that?
  • Its a convenient platform for pile-ons?
  • Hold up, Depp is innocent?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Its a convenient platform for pile-ons?

Which is unrelated to him being either accused or cut off.
  • Its a corollary. Surely you can see that?

If you deny it has an impact then digital harassment cant exist either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, there are plenty of reasons why this guy may have killed himself; guilt and being ostracised being the main ones. Blaming people calling him out on Twitter for his death seems like a stretch to me.
  • youre right, completely unrelated.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Its a corollary. Surely you can see that?

If you deny it has an impact then digital harassment cant exist either.

I’ve said repeatedly in this conversation that harassment is different. People calling out bad behaviour is not harassment.

I doubt that, if he saw it, the Twitter stuff would have helped his mental state, but ‘driven to suicide because of Twitter heat’? Come on.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Its a corollary. Surely you can see that? If you deny it has an impact then digital harassment cant exist either.
    I’ve said repeatedly in this conversation that harassment is different. People calling out bad behaviour is not harassment. I doubt that, if he saw it, the Twitter stuff would have helped his mental state, but ‘driven to suicide because of Twitter heat’? Come on.

Willfull misrepresentation.

Lots of people targeting one person (victim) = harassment -> negative impact for victim
    Lots of people criticising one person (accused) = not harassment -> negative impact for accused

Youre not looking at the end result, which is functionally similar and disproportionate to their alleged crimes or misbehaviour.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    So your stand here is based on there being no difference between targeting and criticising?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    So your stand here is based on there being no difference between targeting and criticising?

Deliberately obtuse.

The impact of either can lead to suicide.
    The difference should be self evident.
  • So should bullies, abusers etc. never be outed?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Deliberately obtuse.

I still find this sort of bollocks quite offensive. My brain doesn’t work like most peoples’. Accusing me of being deliberately obtuse is like accusing someone in a wheelchair of being lazy.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Deliberately obtuse.
    I still find this sort of bollocks quite offensive. My brain doesn’t work like most peoples’. Accusing me of being deliberately obtuse is like accusing someone in a wheelchair of being lazy.

Oh ffs.

You are twisting every sentence I say into something completely at odds with the explicit description and its my fault for being misquoted successively?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The irony in that post is off the charts. I said nothing of the sort.
  • djchump wrote:
    So should bullies, abusers etc. never be outed?

To a global audience? Put them in the stocks so a few million people can point and laugh? Sure, that wont have any consequences.
  • Yossarian wrote:

Criticising someone over a criminal act without proof sounds incredibly dangerous to me. Take it outside of the sexual assault aspect, imagine you were accused of racist or homophobic actions. How do you stop that from spreading on twitter or similar. Can you even force a retraction. And what if you get accused of a genuine crime. Sure, it may be untrue and the police may never prosecute but damage can be done.

I understand that society and the law has badly, badly let down victims here. I'm not blind at all to that. It's not right what anyone who has suffered a sexual assault has to go through to legally prove their case. But this doesn't feel right to me either.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Vela wrote:
    djchump wrote:
    So should bullies, abusers etc. never be outed?
    To a global audience? Put them in the stocks so a few million people can point and laugh? Sure, that wont have any consequences.

So what audience should their actions be outed to?
  • Vela wrote:

Lots of people targeting one person (victim) = harassment -> negative impact for victim
    Lots of people criticising one person (accused) = not harassment -> negative impact for accused

Youre not looking at the end result, which is functionally similar and disproportionate to their alleged crimes or misbehaviour.

Yes, both situations can have a nasty result. Yes, we could find performative, pile on shite for both, but see chumps post.

I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!