Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Gonzo: All that phrase does is shut down the argument.

Also Gonzo: If you disagree with me it’s because you’re ignorant and haven’t read the right papers and there’s no point in arguing with me.

Massive fucking eye roll.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Anyhoo, I actually came in to post this.

https://twitter.com/joshuabadge/status/1230253702797115392?s=19

Bloke has burned his 3 kids, his ex partner and himself to death.

Extreme and horrific end to a tragic dv situation.

There's been as much media around the way it's been covered as there's been actual coverage.

Its been a mess.
    This got glossed over but it's a horror for a case study of how the media represents this kind of thing. Fox Sports was probably the most egregious. Ex rugby league star dies alongside family in tragic fire? No you cunts, he burned them alive then stabbed himself.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Meant to @ you, but you'd vented a fair bit on the old twitter by then.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Now that is fucking horrible.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Different approach but similar attitude to the airbrushing from history that happened to Chris Benoit. Didn't really want to comment having been up close and personal with a family arson case a few years back
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Meant to @ you, but you'd vented a fair bit on the old twitter by then.
    Oooooh I'd had a solid vent alright. Vents on my vents.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Andy wrote:
    Gonzo: All that phrase does is shut down the argument.

Also Gonzo: If you disagree with me it’s because you’re ignorant and haven’t read the right papers and there’s no point in arguing with me.

Massive fucking eye roll.

Yes, that's exactly what I said.

I'd quote Mark Twain, but in your case, there really is no point. Thanks for the chuckle, anyway.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    tbf, even if you had said exactly that, there would still have been no internal contradiction
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @Facewon and @Skerret I see the OA mens rights arndt biscuit head has chimed in with the "pushed too far" line.

I'm certainly no expert on dv and theories about it but the problem appears to be a very stupid trap to fall in: conflating the crime and the emotional state of the criminal when both need explicit separation (ie the criminal may have reached a personal limit but that has no relationship to the act that follows).

Dunno why the cop who made the same error didn't just do the sensible thing and shut the fuck up, or just refer to procedure (ie it's the coroner's say, police stick to evidence to support a case).

Aside from being a huge example case of how support systems are broken, it also shows how broken reporting and commentary is.

Can't wait to see hot takes from kennerly, poooorrrline, bolt and hildebrand
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Betina is a festering pustule of an individual.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There are meaningful steps being taken to strip her of the OA.
  • Queensland has poor form for policing in general it seems.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    NHS gender clinic 'should have challenged me more' over transition

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51676020
  • On a lighter note

Apparently everyone is biased against women

I kinda take these things which a pinch of salt. I certainly have bias opinions of men, women, children, different nationalities. Doesnt everyone? Is it that bad a thing to have a bias opinion?
    SFV - reddave360
  • If you don't critically examine it, yeah
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nothing wrong with having bias, everyone has them, just a matter of recognising that they exist, deb=nying them is often what leads to folk being numpties
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Being conscious of them, and trying to make sure to minimise their impact on your decision making process, is important.
  • Tempy wrote:
    If you don't critically examine it, yeah

cockbeard wrote:
    Nothing wrong with having bias, everyone has them, just a matter of recognising that they exist, deb=nying them is often what leads to folk being numpties
    Being conscious of them, and trying to make sure to minimise their impact on your decision making process, is important.

Of course, to all of the above. But people would have them. And there's nothing wrong with them if they have come from personal experience and aren't treated as absolute

Like I could say that generally from my experience and that of two female head chefs I know that Eastern European Male Chefs can be a bit overly macho in a kitchen and can have issues with a higher level female chef in charge of them based on several examples. That's a bias from experience, I wouldn't use it as a reason not to promote  female chef in a kitchen with many eastern European male chefs nor would one of those head chefs use it a reason not to hire someone for their kitchens BUT it would be something all three of us would be aware of and keep an eye on in certain situations.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The article doesnt link to the study does it?
    That would be useful.

Too many variables really, although I will say it doesnt look good. I would want to know weighting on age and religion as well as what the exact questions were.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From the BBC
    A new UN report has found at least 90% of men and women hold some sort of bias against females.

The "Gender Social Norms" index analysed biases in areas such as politics and education in 75 countries.

Globally, close to 50% of men said they had more right to a job than women. Almost a third of respondents thought it was acceptable for men to hit their partners.

There are no countries in the world with gender equality, the study found.

Zimbabwe had the highest amount of bias with only 0.27% of people reporting no gender bias at all. At the other end of the scale was Andorra where 72% of people reported no bias.

In Zimbabwe, 96% of people said violence against women was acceptable and the same proportion did not support reproductive rights. In the Philippines, 91% of people held these views.

Reform and repression go hand in hand in Saudi Arabia
    The women who dream of power-sharing

Women in political roles

According to the report, about half of the world's men and women feel that men make better political leaders.

In China, 55% of people thought men were better suited to be political leaders.

Around 39% of people in the US, which is yet to have a female president, thought men made better leaders.

However in New Zealand, a country that currently has a female leader, only 27% of people thought that.
    Image copyright Reuters
    Image caption In New Zealand, a country which has a female leader, 27% of people think men would be better leaders than women

The number of female heads of government is lower today than five years ago with only 10 women in such positions in 193 countries, down from 15 in 2014.

However when it comes to seats in parliament, there is a slightly higher percentage of women in these roles.

Latin America and the Caribbean had the highest share of seats in parliament held by women with 31%. South Asian countries had the lowest percentage at just 17%.
    Share of seats in parliament held by women
    Region Percentage
    Arab States 18.3
    East Asia & Pacific 20.3
    Europe & Central Asia 21.2
    Latin America & the Caribbean 31
    South Asia 17.1
    Sub-Saharan Africa 23.5
    Source: United Nations Development Programme

Pedro Conceição, head of UNDP's Human Development Report Office said: "We have come a long way in recent decades to ensure that women have the same access to life's basic needs as men.

"But gender gaps are still all too obvious in other areas, particularly those that challenge power relations and are most influential in actually achieving true equality. Today. the fight about gender equality is a story of bias and prejudices."
    Women in the labour market

Women are paid less than men and are much less likely to be in senior positions. Globally, 40% of people thought men made better business executives.

In the UK, 25% of people thought men should have more right to a job than women and said men made better business executives than women did. In India that figure was 69%.

Raquel Lagunas, UNDP gender team acting director said: "We must act now to break through the barrier of bias and prejudices if we want to see progress at the speed and scale needed to achieve gender equality."
  • Cheers Goober.
    That shines a bit more light on it by country and realistically it tracks as to be expected.

Religion, tick.
    Power of monarchy/leader, tick.
    Lack of general education, tick.
    Lack of economic equality, tick.

I wouldnt expect any country to be perfect either, inequality has to be slowly bred out over generations and over a certain age people just arent going to change their world view.
  • https://twitter.com/joshuabadge/status/1235777312488067073?s=19

Docs and hostipals here backing trans folks.
  • RedDave2 wrote:

Of course, to all of the above. But people would have them. And there's nothing wrong with them if they have come from personal experience and aren't treated as absolute Like I could say that generally from my experience and that of two female head chefs I know that Eastern European Male Chefs can be a bit overly macho in a kitchen and can have issues with a higher level female chef in charge of them based on several examples. That's a bias from experience, I wouldn't use it as a reason not to promote  female chef in a kitchen with many eastern European male chefs nor would one of those head chefs use it a reason not to hire someone for their kitchens BUT it would be something all three of us would be aware of and keep an eye on in certain situations.
    I don't think that's quite the point here.
    Globally, close to 50% of men said they had more right to a job than women. Almost a third of respondents thought it was acceptable for men to hit their partners.
  • JonB wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:

Of course, to all of the above. But people would have them. And there's nothing wrong with them if they have come from personal experience and aren't treated as absolute Like I could say that generally from my experience and that of two female head chefs I know that Eastern European Male Chefs can be a bit overly macho in a kitchen and can have issues with a higher level female chef in charge of them based on several examples. That's a bias from experience, I wouldn't use it as a reason not to promote  female chef in a kitchen with many eastern European male chefs nor would one of those head chefs use it a reason not to hire someone for their kitchens BUT it would be something all three of us would be aware of and keep an eye on in certain situations.
    I don't think that's quite the point here.

Yeah, I suppose I'm looking at this in the wrong way. That type of shit is simply unacceptable. I just sometimes feel that the idea of pre-conception is automatically seen as 'bad' in some ways and I dont think this is the case. But maybe I'm just not quite getting this in the way its intended.
    SFV - reddave360
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nah, not necessarily bad, just depends what folk do with that knowledge. Just take the argument to it's extremes, do we treat everyone equally, or make allowances for things that folk identify with? Ideally everything would be in place to allow people to customise their workstations to their own preference, but then do they have enough knowledge to know how to do that. It's a fucking minefield so just remember rule #1 and bollox to the rest

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!