Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yeah, I suppose I'm looking at this in the wrong way. That type of shit is simply unacceptable. I just sometimes feel that the idea of pre-conception is automatically seen as 'bad' in some ways and I dont think this is the case. But maybe I'm just not quite getting this in the way its intended.

It’s natural to develop biases. If every black woman you met had a certain personality trait, your brain would associate that trait with black women. You can’t necessarily stop that, but what you can stop is acting on that. You can stop yourself from making the false assumption that all black women share that trait. You need to be aware of your bias, and not make decisions based on it, such as refusing to employ black women because you assume they’ll have that trait. And if that feels different when you substitute black women with Eastern European male chefs, you need to recognise that bias, too.

Biases can be helpful. They make up a significant portion of our gut-reactions to people, and that can be useful. But they can often be wrong. I have a general bias towards women for anything health related, physical or mental; given a choice, I’ll speak to a woman. But the truth is I’ve had good and bad female therapists, a good male therapist, and my dentist (male) and dental hygienist (female) measure as highly as each other on the condescending-twatometer.
  • We live in a society intensifies.

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Yeah, I suppose I'm looking at this in the wrong way. That type of shit is simply unacceptable. I just sometimes feel that the idea of pre-conception is automatically seen as 'bad' in some ways and I dont think this is the case. But maybe I'm just not quite getting this in the way its intended.
    Well in this case it seems to be the obviously bad kind of prejudices, so it just doesn't seem relevant in relation to it to discuss bias as a general concept. Of course we all internalise various little assumptions and preconceptions, but this it talking about widespread attitudes that would have social effects. A different, much bigger kettle of fish.
  • This doesn't fit the thread really, but did you see the Charlie Sheen trending stuff? Haven't read owt other than Reddit posts.
  • Nope. Don't know anything about that. What's the skinny?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Corey Feldman film named him as one of the guys who raped/abused him, film was pulled for I don't know what reason, but had one showing in a theatre.
  • Ah right. Got you. Corey Feldman is such a weapons grade fuck-up now though, I think he's going to struggle with any claims he makes about anyone.
  • g.man wrote:
    Ah right. Got you. Corey Feldman is such a weapons grade fuck-up now though, I think he's going to struggle with any claims he makes about anyone.

I read one hot take that was something like, ofc people who were abused as kids are going to be messed up, which I can give some time to.

Apparently (again, just comments from interfolk) Corey F hasn't changed a single detail of his story in years and years, and has had elements backed up.

I'm doing a proper Chinese whispers here tho as I don't have any links.
  • Oh, I'm not calling bullshit on the guy, but dear Lord, he's the dictionary definition of fucked-up.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/feb/06/corey-feldman-nobody-wants-to-go-after-the-bad-guys

Sure he's fucked up, but having been immersed in this kind of world, I'm not surprised.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Some online comments about Weinstein -
    "It's anti-Semitism"
    "Witch hunt by the liberal left who have decided that the casting couch is bad"

Whether these commentators are serious or just trolling, it doesn't paint a nice picture of people.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • His defence actually tried to claim his sentence should be reduced because of his contribution to film. Pretty much saying that he should be allowed to get away with rape because he’s famous. I’m glad that went nowhere fast.
  • The man was in a wheelchair for god's sake.
  • Ref Feldman.

I tend to lean towards believing victims but I have my questions over Feldman. He has been sitting on this film for fucking ages now. He claims he cant release it because he would get sued, which isnt unbelievable. There comes a point though where the bullet must be bitten.

There is a pattern with Feldman where he starts pushing this film to the press, does various interviews and such, sets a release date, then pulls the plug. Give it a few years and the cycle starts again.

I dont disbelieve him as such but if he is a victim or not I feel he has established a a way of using this film to upkeep a lifestyle without ever releasing it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I think hs youth career of getting raped regularly between jobs is what has afforded him the ability to be fussy over his next job and want it to be perfect, because if it isn't perfect they all get away with it again
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • nick_md wrote:
    The man was in a wheelchair for god's sake.

I particularly enjoyed his performances in ‘frail old man who can’t stand without his walking frame’ on the way in to court, swiftly followed by the walking frame literally being left behind in the courtroom afterwards.
  • A feminist is sympathetic to some of what Jordan Peterson says

I think he’s an easy man to criticise but I found myself late last year not completely disagreeing with the things he says. It was pretty strange really. We’re kind of conditioned to recoil at him but he’s not an idiot really.

This is what I was listening to

• Meh. I'll read the article, but no amount of quarantine will make me watch the vid.

;)

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    States Peterson fails to cite any feminist authors, then proceeds to do the same thing by referring to feminist authors en masse. Not terribly helpful. There's a diversity of views in feminist literature, not just the 'teach men not to rape' angle, e.g. bell hooks. If you dig deep enough you can find some sense in what Peterson writes/says, and he is certainly no idiot in any genuine sense, but are they notions unique to his work alone?

He's a popular 'intellectual' who found (or was found by) and courts an audience with considerable success, but that don't make him Chomsky or Zizek or Foucault. I don't think he's necessarily trying to be, but the hard-line of his base seems to want for him that pretty fuckin badly. He seems polarising mostly because of his fan base imo; as a dude he seems like he can be pretty reasonable. Spending 13 years writing a book just means you wrote a book over a 13 year period, not that you were off discovering life's secrets and committing them to earthly tomes.

I'm boring myself writing this post.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Most intellectuals I find aren’t really saying anything *that* interesting or novel in my view. But the critical thing is that they are saying it. The skill is not finding something new but finding something old or primal and saying it. Marx stating in plain words that a business owner must be making cash between the value of a persons work and the price that work is sold for is only retrospectively obvious in my view but it is retrospectively obvious.

I find it intriguing also how often philosophers are almost to a one inevitable failures as they get wrapped in their own dogma and ideology. In fact the pattern I see is that a lot of famous philosophers are really only famous after someone has revised and interpreted the choice bits of their work.

Anyway the point of me posting tha was more that it was an interesting for approaching someone like Jordan Peterson. The perception of the man is memefied to the point of instinctual which i think is a critical mistake and it’s good to observe these apparently orthogonal perspectives. One thing I think is worth always remembering about him is that his day job was to help people and I think pretty successfully but I think people paint him too monsterously because of his audience.
  • Peterson is largely fine if you listen to what he says, not what his fans/opponents purport.

Get up and make your damn bed is solid advice for us all.

• I think the problem of saying the response to him is memeified is that it hand waves lots of thorough criticism that has been penned, some of which specifically aims at why “get up and make your damn bed” is a pointless aphorism.
  • It’s not about hand waving. Obviously he’s a person and he isn’t going to be 100% correct (which in some cases really means I, a person, don’t 100% agree with him) but I do think it’s a problem if people get conditioned to do dismiss him out of hand because haha lobsters or whatever.

I guess this is sort of what you are saying temps but in reverse.
  • I make my bed more now.
  • The POINT is that he's a self-help shill. He doesn't say anything new, either interpretatively or original; and some of what he has said is harmful, and some of what he's said is obvious, and some of what he's said is interesting. But his real skill is packaging it up, and marketing and selling it. He's a multimillionaire because he's said things like "make your own damn bed" and "women! eh?".

There are lots if self help hucksters around like that and they usually get mocked by the wannabe intellectuals. This guy has managed to find a way to sell to these dumb internet nerd boys and because dumb internet nerd boys are so fucking tribal and defensive and "oppressed" they go after anyone who says "but he's just a self help shill" or, worse, dare to point out the actively harmful things he's said.
  • I too make my own bed. And my wifes bed. Its a good start to do. But it wasnt Jordan Petterson who made me do it, no sir. 

T'was John Cena
    SFV - reddave360
  • I didn't see that coming.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!