Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Once you bite the bullet and buy Skynet, how much does it cost to keep it state of the art?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I think the fact that for the cost of a gaming PC you could pick up a console, a massive TV and some decent sound means that for me a dedicated gaming rig will always be out of the question...
  • Console friends list probably stops lots of people making the jump to a gaming PC these days.
  • The root thing with PC gaming is, lots of people cant be arsed to make and update/upgrade a gaming rigs. By its nature it will never be any different and nor will people, there will always be both markets IMO.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm not a PC elitist but I think it's hard to appreciate consoles as much once you've experienced the freedom and flexibility a PC gives you in doing pretty much whatever you want ontop of having more power.

It does make you appreciate developers like Bungie though for putting stuff like the Forge into Halo. They're essentially detailed mod tools that typically only PC gamers enjoyed.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'm not a PC elitist but I think it's hard to appreciate consoles as much once you've experienced the freedom and flexibility a PC gives you in doing pretty much whatever you want ontop of having more power. It does make you appreciate developers like Bungie though for putting stuff like the Forge into Halo. They're essentially detailed mod tools that typically only PC gamers enjoyed.

Sorry wasnt trying to suggest you were an elitist, just horses for courses. Personally I have a high end PC for 3D modelling work stuff that could easily run games to a very reasonable level but I just prefer console gaming.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I just prefer console gaming.

Is that to do with the ease of just sitting down and having a straight forward gaming sesh?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    I am not so sure about the "This gens graffix are fine by me" thing. I mean, Batman AA, Skyrim, BF3 etc... All look great on my 360 but is that because I literally haven't seen them running on better hardware (YouTube etc.. Don't do them justice)?

I'm in the 'this gens graffix fine are by me' camp.  I've seen Skyrim running on a high end PC, and in comparison to the 360 version it's lush, but I'm still fine with the 360/PS3 stuff.  They can make things look pretty enough for me.  I'll end up getting the new consoles, and no doubt enjoy the graphical leap, but I'd still rather keep the £700 for consoles/games and have another three years of the 360/PS3.
  • For those who haven't actually read the article:

According to the leaked docs, it's $300 at launch, comes with Kinect 2.0 as well as 4G augmented reality glasses, BR player and full on 3D gubbins.

And it's codenamed 'Fortazela'.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Is that to do with the ease of just sitting down and having a straight forward gaming sesh?

Yeah I think so, also I sit at a desk all day at work, really dont want to sit at a desk at home too.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Yeah I think so, also I sit at a desk all day at work, really dont want to sit at a desk at home too.

Fair play. Different working environment for myself so I guess it's as you say, horses for courses.
  • JRPC wrote:
    For those who haven't actually read the article:

According to the leaked docs, it's $300 at launch, comes with Kinect 2.0 as well as 4G augmented reality glasses, BR player and full on 3D gubbins.

And it's codenamed 'Fortazela'.

All that for 300 bucks. "Impossible!" I shout in my hamiest French accent.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I heard it's the size of a shreddy, doesn't connect to a TV and comes with no controller - you just slip it under your tongue and hallucinate the whole gaming experience.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • I here it has a 4G gastric band with Netflix access
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    I heard it's the size of a shreddy, doesn't connect to a TV and comes with no controller - you just slip it under your tongue and hallucinate the whole gaming experience.

I'd certainly buy that. I don't know if I could get a shredded wheat under my tongue though. 2 maybe, 3 definitely not.
  • I want massively shiny stuff for next gen. And 4k support from day one.  Next gen needs 4k if that 10 year lifecycle is to hold true.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    And 4k support from day one.

Fucking benefit thief.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Webbins wrote:
    BF3 on console, to me, feels like a game that couldn't wait for the next gen.
    Or it could be telling people to fuck off and buy gaming PCs.

There was a time when I was considering doing just that. Then BF3 turned out to be a broken horrible pile of shite and I remembered grafiixors aren't the be all and end all.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'd pay (fairly good) money to see someone manage to port Tribes: Ascend to console.
  • I imagine that would be impossible to control with a pad.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I imagine that would be impossible to control with a pad.

I could do it!
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Tribes taught me that with mouse control I can land a 1ft wide disc at someones feet, 400m away as we are both travelling through the air at 200+ k/ph.

In Halo I struggle with a headshot when standing.

I'm blaming the pad.
  • I want the next Xbox/PS to be the size of WOPR from Wargames and run on diesel. I would need planning permission to install one and the games would come loaded onto a film reel.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Happy with the graphics this gen but maybe they could try putting some acutal RAM in the new consoles.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • It contains the entire internet, is very light and be careful not to crush it, pandemonium will break loose
  • After massively successful trials in Bioware games, it will have a universal 'homo' button that allows you to switch your character to gay.
  • Probably said this before but I value graphical style / art direction much more than polygon count. There are plenty of PS1 games that I personally think look "better" than, say, any modern Call of Duty just because COD does nothing for me aesthetically. Polygon count going up tends to mean higher costs and therefore less willingness to take risks with visuals. As a result, games are actually becoming uglier for me as they get more sophisticated.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • They will condense the 'core' gaming experience to accomodate those of us with lives. Big companies like EA and Activision will hire teenagers to come around, call you 'fag', 'noob, 'garbage' and play tinny rap music in your living room and then punch you in the gut and take £30 of your hard earned.
  • Not necessarily, with higher polygon counts and more sophisticated shader technology and suchlike it's much more viable to have complex procedural geometry forming the visuals, which opens huge options for studios to create very beautiful complex environments for a low cost, nevermind opening entirely new avenues for gameplay. In tandem with stronger cpus, you can have much more complex physical modelling along with that, so even a basic example like water becaomes a myriad of possibilities. And also you have something like dynamic tesselation, that can create complex geometry from a 2D image, offer realtime deformation and suchlike hypothetically 'accessibly', that more powerful hardware does not at all mean more money needed and a narrower band of options for developers - especially as developing tools and techniques are becoming more sophisticated the opportunities opened to indie devopers etcetera are becoming probably more exciting than they've ever been, and with faster internet and more awareness to alternative streams for software increasing,these indie developers now have more ability than ever to get their work into the hands of consumers.

I'm quite excited by next gen to be honest

Also it will let you fly with your mind (needed a joke there to seem less po-faced)
  • The physics that were promised to us at the start of the gen only slightly hit my expectations. For example the train mission in Uncharted 2 was outstanding but they still haven't nailed water physics. The look of most games is fine but how we interact with the scenery still has a long way to go.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!