Next Gen Discussion: The Badger Slayer
  • The Move was very good I thought but like the Kinect it lacked any real support, plus it didn't have the other features Kinect has.
  • Shame, really. There are a bunch of games that could have Move retro-fitted too, but I doubt they'd bother. Things like Trine and Dead Space 2 (not just Extraction).

Has anyone tried Stranger's Wrath HD with Move?
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Mod74 wrote:
    If it were a console it would be the 17th best selling of all time just behind the 3DS.

It isn't a console.
    Mod74 wrote:
    People do like, or like the idea of Kinect. I think those same people will be more than happy to buy a Kinect 2.

Speculation.
    Mod74 wrote:
    If we're talking E3 stage time vs sales that wizard game sold 0.1m

I don't understand this, so perhaps you could explain it.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I have absolutely no interest in Kinect nor Kinect 2, I am interested controllers that I hold and I could possibly be interested in decent voice control but that doesn't need a wavy, wavy bar to accomplish it.
  • Until we have holodecks, there's little to no point in this equipment.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    If it were a console it would be the 17th best selling of all time just behind the 3DS.
    It isn't a console.
    If is a conjunction that can introduce a conditional clause.
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    People do like, or like the idea of Kinect. I think those same people will be more than happy to buy a Kinect 2.

Speculation.

And? Perhaps you think 18m people buy £120 gadgets they don't like or like the idea of?
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:

Iain talked about Fable: The Journey's chart position being a big fall for a game that was given a large stage promotion at E3.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It isn't a console.
    If is a conjunction that can introduce a conditional clause.

It isn't a console so that's not relevant.
    Speculation.
    Mod74 wrote:
    And? Perhaps you think 18m people buy £120 gadgets they don't like or like the idea of?

I didn't say that, I said your point was speculation, which it was. 
    Unlikely wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Iain talked about Fable: The Journey's chart position being a big fall for a game that was given a large stage promotion at E3.

Still not following.  Is there some algorithm you're using to arrive at the number?  Or are you saying that Fable 3 sold 100,000 copies?
  • The sales of the unit are good, but I think that might suggest that it worked as a novelty. MS did a good job advertising it and people were willing to try it. People here seem reasonably happy using it for menus and the like, but apart from Just Dance, none of the games have stuck.

Is it really worth MS bumping up the price of their next console when this version of the tech has only thrown up one game that can be considered a success.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Where would Tesco Value Sliced Ham fall in the console sales chart if it was a console?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...and rightly so.
  • "Between bread and mustard" would have been funnier but alas it's gone.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    @Unlikely

It's a piece of video game hardware that video gamers buy. No, it isn't a console and I never said it was, thanks for pointing that out twice. Perhaps you've never heard "if something were a something it would be something" used before. Try reading or speaking to people more.

It's speculation yes, however pointing that out only becomes worthwhile if you think I'm being outrageous or can somehow make the case that people are buying stuff they don't like. So have at it.

You've pretty much lost me on the last bit. I've explained why I brought up the wizard game sales. Everyone else appears to have followed fine. Fable 3 came out two years ago and has sold approx 5m.

Fable: The Journey came out this week and I've no idea how many it has sold as that data isn't released.
  • It's about detaching the console from an intimidating 12 odd button, dual analog input system. It puts casuals off. As long as MS are trying to expand Xbox into an all encompassing entertainment hub, they'll be doing this stuff. All we can hope for is that the whole thing stays relatively separate from the Gears, Halos and all the rest of it. 

But yeah I'm not sure about the bump in price* and how they'll do the whole thing. Maybe getting rid of the disk drive will save them a few quid. Not £80 admittedly. Or making the CD tray an external add-on for 'retro' 360 titles. I can't see them having such an easily swappable HDD either so they'll be able to make a few quid charging memory at stupid prices to people who want more than the base level.

*edit: I'm not sure about any of it obviously. Just guessing.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    FWIW people bought Kinect and never plugged it into an xbox. Albeit a very small percentage of buyers had the motive to do something other use it with an xbox.

Same thing happened with the PowerGlove.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Where would Tesco Value Sliced Ham fall in the console sales chart if it was a console?

Don't know, but they were doing two packets of the good stuff for 4 quid at the weekend. That and the 12 rolls for 2 quid, and my lunches for the week were sorted. Well they would have been if I could be arsed to assemble and bring them in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    The sales of the unit are good, but I think that might suggest that it worked as a novelty. MS did a good job advertising it and people were willing to try it. People here seem reasonably happy using it for menus and the like, but apart from Just Dance, none of the games have stuck. Is it really worth MS bumping up the price of their next console when this version of the tech has only thrown up one game that can be considered a success.

Depends how much they bump it up.

There's 18m units out there, and one assumes most people bought at least 1 or 2 extra games for them. The prospect of playing those games on hardware that actually works right would ensure at least some sales.
  • monkey wrote:
     Maybe getting rid of the disk drive will save them a few quid. Not £80 admittedly. Or making the CD tray an external add-on for 'retro' 360 titles. I can't see them having such an easily swappable HDD either so they'll be able to make a few quid charging memory at stupid prices to people who want more than the base level. *edit: I'm not sure about any of it obviously. Just guessing.

Bundles maybe. Media bundle with a 12 month Sky subscription, small HDD and a Kinect 2. Then a gamer bundle with 12 months Live and a larger HDD. Obviously plenty of holes in those examples but you get the idea.

That or Kinect remains largely the same (refinements like the lens) and still uses the processing power of the console which will obviously be more powerful.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    @Unlikely It's a piece of video game hardware that video gamers buy. No, it isn't a console and I never said it was, thanks for pointing that out twice. Perhaps you've never heard "if something were a something it would be something" used before. Try reading or speaking to people more. It's speculation yes, however pointing that out only becomes worthwhile if you think I'm being outrageous or can somehow make the case that people are buying stuff they don't like. So have at it. You've pretty much lost me on the last bit. I've explained why I brought up the wizard game sales. Everyone else appears to have followed fine. Fable 3 came out two years ago and has sold approx 5m. Fable: The Journey came out this week and I've no idea how many it has sold as that data isn't released.

Calm down sweetheart.  Your first point is without point.  It is not a console so there's no point in saying that it is.  Your second point is also pointless, as you're stating, without evidence (apart from your own desires) that people who bought the first Kinect would also buy a future version. 

The last point I'm still not following, but I'm sure "everyone" is thrilled you've spoken for them.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Your first point is without point.  It is not a console so there's no point in saying that it is.

I didn't say it was a console retard.
  • I think comparing Kinect sales to consoles sales as a reference point has some relevance, especially as it is difficult to find anything else to reference it against.

It was marketed in the same way a console is in terms of budget and presentation. It's still hardware and costs quite a bit more than a game so game comparisons would be off.

It's only other peers really are things like the MegaCD, 32X or Nintendo DD, all of which were failures of varying degrees and it would flatter the Kinect too much to lump it in with those.
  • Oh good, you're going for the personal atacks.  Perhaps I should report this thead to Peter. 

Glad you've accepted the second and third points were wrong.  Now check back on the first.
  • Gah, sometimes I think mod might be quite a useful member of society and then BOOM any suggestion that he's wrong is responded to with massive hostility.
  • I think 'the wizard game' that Mod's referring to is the Move Harry Potter tie in.  It was on stage at E3.

I think he's suggesting that Fable Kinect is less of a failure than that yet the HP game was on stage for a while.  It wasn't very clear but if it's a thread about MS/Kinect, I usually just assume most of Mod's posts will be anti Sony.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Nick wrote:
    Moto70 wrote:
    Don't know, but they were doing two packets of the good stuff for 4 quid at the weekend. That and the 12 rolls for 2 quid, and my lunches for the week were sorted. Well they would have been if I could be arsed to assemble and bring them in.
    Don't ever pick up the Tesco Value Smoked Salmon over the the 'finest' range thinking that you'll be getting a bargain. It is shite, got all that stringy shit that you can't bite through, urgh, rancid.

Have there been any details released on what Kinect 2 will entail feature or hardware wise?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Oh good, you're going for the personal atacks.  Perhaps I should report this thead to Peter.  Glad you've accepted the second and third points were wrong.  Now check back on the first.

Report it to whoever you like. I'll point him to you calling me a fuckwit yesterday.

If you're going to give up on your first pointless line of challenge by simply mis-stating what I said then that's no point even talking to you.

My second point was speculation. Have a gold star to stick in your English book.

I can't even begin to answer your third point because you didn't make one you just didn't understand what I said. And still failed to after I explained it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Gah, sometimes I think mod might be quite a useful member of society and then BOOM any suggestion that he's wrong is responded to with massive hostility.

Feel free to suggest I'm wrong.

Piss off if all you want to do is troll lines like "it's not a console" and "that's speculation"

I responded perfectly politely to your first three 'points'. Even though they weren't adding fuck all to the debate just satisfying your desire to try and pick apart anything I say.
  • And there we go.  Off on the making up stuff thing again.  You really do need to take a step back and look at yourself, because you are demented.  How long before that actually sinks in and you rethink your attitude? 

Onyhoo, before Face sinks another thread I'm out.  In summary:

Your first point was wrong, although you won't admit it.

Your second point was wrong, which you do admit.

Your third point is still confusing, and I'm not the only one to think so.
  • I might not be out, for I am terribly unpredictable.
  • Don't worry Moto, I would never, ever buy that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!