Next Gen Discussion: The Badger Slayer
  • If the evolution of technology starts driving costs down rather than up then I'm all for it. That would be a true leap forward.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    LazyGunn wrote:
    Not necessarily, with higher polygon counts and more sophisticated shader technology and suchlike it's much more viable to have complex procedural geometry forming the visuals, which opens huge options for studios to create very beautiful complex environments for a low cost, nevermind opening entirely new avenues for gameplay. In tandem with stronger cpus, you can have much more complex physical modelling along with that, so even a basic example like water becaomes a myriad of possibilities. And also you have something like dynamic tesselation, that can create complex geometry from a 2D image, offer realtime deformation and suchlike hypothetically 'accessibly', that more powerful hardware does not at all mean more money needed and a narrower band of options for developers - especially as developing tools and techniques are becoming more sophisticated the opportunities opened to indie devopers etcetera are becoming probably more exciting than they've ever been, and with faster internet and more awareness to alternative streams for software increasing,these indie developers now have more ability than ever to get their work into the hands of consumers. I'm quite excited by next gen to be honest Also it will let you fly with your mind (needed a joke there to seem less po-faced)
    Should have stuck with po-faced.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • I have this feeling that unless the Ipad and all it's shit games get to fuck then this next generation is doomed. Too many people will spazz their money on crap touch games (yes all of them are crap) and nobody will want a stand alone games console.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The thing that needs the most work with all this extra power next gen systems will priovide is AI.
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    You haven't played Sword & Sorcery on iPad then @Scots.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • I think you can make a bunch of awesome games with the sensors on a phone, i just think devs and the players themselves are being a bit backwards about it, like, why make games that play with a pad on a phone? Virtual pads are bollocks. And going on just one sensor, like an accelerometers orientation can be gimmicky too

Anyways no scots, plenty more cool games coming consoles' way, much like you dont get all the best films in the cinema, as any film student could tell you
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    S&S uses the touchy bit in an interesting way.
  • Just had a look through the looked xbox 720 stuff, sorry if this stuff has already been talked about. It seems a large portion of the fangled hardware will be eaten up with multi-tasking.

Theres an always on, bundled in, super Kinect, social network and news/sports feeds, multi screen visual streaming, screen on screen video chat, 2x1080 3D. At some point it appears it plays games too.

It will be interesting to see if MS lock-out some of this power exclusively for these features or if the entire processing power will be usable as the dev team see fit.
  • Or at least better simulated AI. I was watching a program about ants in the amazon a couple weeks back and each member of the ant army passed information onto the next. Each ant had it's own role and each ant knew how to react to the information passed onto it. So while individually each ant is a moron, collectively they have an intelligence that can react to a variety of situations. I don't know how AI is written in FPS's but it always looks like each bot is running his own bit of code and not interacting fully with the other bots.

Ant science, thats what we need.

I'm sure I had a point to make in this post.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I FOR ONE, WELCOME OUR NEW ETC.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I wouldn't be surprised if they just call the new MS machine 'XBOX'.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Given recent policy changes and dull as crap media briefings, I wouldn't be surprised it it's not a games machine at all.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Funny,

Publishers and devs (and MS) wanted a longer generation so they didn't have to spend time and money tooling up for a new gen just as the current one gets into its stride.

Stuff like Kinect and the media features have helped extend the lifecycle and avoid the dive in unit sales in year 5 other gens had.

Now it seems developers and publishers are itching to get into a new gen in year 5/6 after all.
  • End of 2005 that the 360 launched though. We might be up to 8 years before a new machine arrives from MS and it could be a decade before anyone but the hardcore buys one.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I guess we've learnt that 6 years is too short and 8 years is too long.

Maybe aim for 7 next time.
  • That doc says ten. I wouldn't mind ten, if it was staggered better. All three delivering new hardware in a two year period sis stupid. 

What's the average handheld lifespan? Much shorter, which I prefer.
  • Fable: the Journey entered the charts at number 37, which must be as big a flop as possible for a game showcased by MS at E3. Is it time to accept that Kinect games holds little interest for most 360 owners and where does that leave the 360 successor?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What if it works as advertised next time? Or are people too soured by k1?
  • They need to put a different lens on it to work in smaller rooms
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Its just not the golden ticket to make me want one on launch day.
    After playing the Wii and then going back to a ps3 , I have to say the dualshock is so much easier for longer sessions than a wiimote.
    the kinect was just something that never made me go wow.
    Though the wiiu does interest me
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I know MS did a big push for it, but a Fable Kinect game is quite a niche title really. I'd imagine there's a very small sliver of the gaming population that sit in the overlapping space in that particular Venn diagram. 

Despite loads of people buying it, I still think it has the problem of developers not really taking it too seriously as they don't want to cut their potential number of customers in half or whatever the stat is. Which is why you only get shitty little titles, or superfluous features in bigger games. 

I'm going to assume that Kinect 2 will be bundled so you'll have no choice but to upgrade. 

More generally I've got no interest in speaking to my tv, waving my hands at it, or dancing around the room. My setup at home really isn't set up for those sorts of shenanigans either. 

Although MS are working on making Kinect a part of Windows proper. So maybe they're accounting for people sitting at desks doing more slight movements. In which case, it may be ok. I dunno. What's this about again?
  • Just read the Infinty Blade piece in the last Edge. That was the Kinect killer ap right there.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • monkey wrote:
    I'm going to assume that Kinect 2 will be bundled so you'll have no choice but to upgrade.  
    This is the sticky choice for MS, bundling seems like the only way it works, but it might also add £80 to the cost of their next console when very few people seem convinced that it's a selling point.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hmm.. By then it'll likely be at least 3 year old tech, even if it is the one they scrapped in favour of cheaper model. Is £80 right?
  • Let's face it, no one gives a flying fuck about kinect, and Microsoft should have been savvy enough to predict that.
    It was the wrong answer to a problem that never really existed.
    Nintendo and especially the Wii target completely different demographics to Microsoft and the Xbox brand.
    It's niche rubbish that should never have seen the light of day, and ironically a year or two on it' s also dated really badly as tech, as do most techy things that really never catch on.

shit sandwich

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watch them stubbornly push it tho
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Hmm.. By then it'll likely be at least 3 year old tech, even if it is the one they scrapped in favour of cheaper model. Is £80 right?

Yes BUT the Kinect we have now does not equal the Kinect that developers had, the thing that could predict where your joints were even with obstructions in the way because of the algorithms Rare programmed after studying Gray's Anatomy for a year and the processing power they were able to allocate to that stuff because it had a powerful onboard chipset.

A more powerful Kinect enabled by the tuffer hardware in the new Xbox might be closer to what it was touted to be, and possibly a decent selling point if bundled.

Not arguing that current kinect is pish though.
  • g.man wrote:
    Let's face it, no one gives a flying fuck about kinect, and Microsoft should have been savvy enough to predict that. It was the wrong answer to a problem that never really existed. Nintendo and especially the Wii target completely different demographics to Microsoft and the Xbox brand. It's niche rubbish that should never have seen the light of day, and ironically a year or two on it' s also dated really badly as tech, as do most techy things that really never catch on. shit sandwich g.man

While I've little interest in the thing myself, apparently 11 million of the them have been bought, so that's hardly no one.

EDIT:  18 million.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kinect bundles are third, sixth, seventh and twelfth best sellers on Amazon

Kinect bundle is highest rated result for "Xbox 360 console"

That's before you get to facts like 18m sold that don't really take into account customer opinion. If it were a console it would be the 17th best selling of all time just behind the 3DS.

People do like, or like the idea of Kinect. I think those same people will be more than happy to buy a Kinect 2. Especially as Nintendo seems to be giving up on the motion controller idea and the instant family action, and the Move is a joke. If we're talking E3 stage time vs sales that wizard game sold 0.1m
  • While I spent all of one day using Move before deciding I couldn't be arsed with it (still need to give HOTD Overkill a go mind) I was under the impression that the majority of people on here that have it prefer it to the wii-mote.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!