The Dark Knight Rises for the last time... (Spoilers as well if you like)
  • Spoiler:
    I think one of the main problems is that there's so much unnecessary guff in the middle of the film, that for some reason didn't get edited down, that the entire ending is done at breakneck speed.
    Spoiler:
  • Can't get past that second spoiler to to continue post so...

I think Nolan's made 3 really good Batman films, but each one is 2/3rds excellent and one 3rd shite.  Generally the endings seem the most unsatisfactory - BB goes downhill as soon as Neeson  re-appears,
    Spoiler:
    TK probably has the best ending, although again the entire Two-Face / Gordon's kids thing didn't really do it for me either. I can now see why they had those bits for the overriding story arc of the 3 films, but in each film I'd have preferred a better resolution with regards to Scarecrow, Joker and Bane.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Spoiler:
  • I've tried avoiding what you did with Prometheus, enjoying it in the cinema then picking it to bits afterwards, but it's proving slightly difficult. Really enjoyed it for the most part while it was their.

Also, I'll text you the ending at midnight tonight, if you haven't seen it by then...
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Ha cheers! Also, I'm pretty sure I was sitting through Prometheus thinking 'That was a bit shit', but doing my best to ignore myself.

I liked BB, loved TDK so I can't see this hitting Prometheus levels of garbage, mainly due to it being a continuation of a current trilogy all from the same director.
  • FFS, I can't reveal spoilers on the work PCs, so most of this thread is now pointless to me.
  • seeing this in a few hours.... the temptation to click on the spoilers is almost unbearable
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    FFS, I can't reveal spoilers on the work PCs, so most of this thread is now pointless to me.

Quote their posts and read them in the edit box, s'what I do.

• If you haven't seen the film yet, why the hell are you in this thread? It clearly says spoilers in the title. I'm not spoiler tagging anything.

I thought the movie was poor and far too predictable. I thought the opening sequence, introducing Bane, lacked impact. The first half an hour or so had no flow whatsoever, although considering the 8 year gap from the end of TDK to the start of DKR its quite understandable. Far too much happened in that time that needed to be said, but very little of it was entertaining.

Banes voice was irritating throughout. I struggled to understand what he was saying at times. I've no idea what he sounded like previously as I don't watch trailers, but it's hard to imagine that it was much worse. All his 'grand' speeches were lackluster. The public announcements inside the stadium and outside the prison were real low points for me.

In fact, Bane on the whole was quite the disappointment. Despite his physical superiority over everyone else in the movie, the only time he came across as particularly intimidating was when he rested his hand on that dickheads shoulder who I can't remember the name of. Yes, he was brutal in a fight, but that in itself isn't enough to make a good villain.

I'm not a Batman comic fan and neither were the four people that I watched it with, but we all knew that Talia was going to turn out bad. None of us foresaw that she'd be revealed as the daughter, but her coming to the rescue of Bane was signposted.

Blake being set up to be Robin was also obvious, but I've no complaints with that. The only issue I had with Blake was the nonsense reason he had for knowing that Wayne was Batman. It was at that point that we all knew he was either going to die later in the movie or he was going to be Robin. Only one of my friends thought it'd be the former.

Another gripe I had was with Alfred and his emo rants. Shoehorning touchy feely moments into the film that really didn't fit well.

Nolan set out to do something really ambitious with this film, I just feel as though he failed to achieve his goal.

Anne Hathaway was wonderful.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • I assume that was intimidating before your phone corrected it.

Liked Bane but agree with a lot of your post. Still enjoyed it though.
  • And yes, Hathaway's great.

Love those heels.
  • Yes, autocorrect fail. Although how I managed to spell intimidating wrong for it to change to irritating I don't know.

I'll edit it for clarity.
  • People were originally spoikering stuff because there was another discussion going on that hung over from before people started seeing the films. It's moved to the Current Affairs thread now so I'd say here is fair game.
  • I think watching this a second time (at home) in several months will be a lot more enjoyable (despite still really enjoying it the first time).

Its a film thats too big to be enjoyed at the cinema. In my fidgety opinion.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm off to see it again next weekend as part of a double date (I FUCKING KNOW) so I'll try and piece it all together later.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also you people on here are the first people I know who couldn't understand Bane. Were you not listening or something?
  • There's a deaf joke there that I don't have the finesse to pull off.
  • I have tickets to watch it again next Friday as part of Nolan's Batman trilogy and then again a week or so after with different mates. Think I'll try to offload one of them.
  • No, didn't have a problem understanding Bane, didn't see any trailers so no idea what he sounded like before though.
  • If anything I thought Bane's voice was too clear.  It sounded like it had been dubbed into the film afterwards.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    That was my thought
  • Bane's voice was much better in the first trailer. Bunch of idiots sound like the reason for the change. His voice in the film sounded of authority, slightly posh, which jarred a bit considering his hatred and cleansing of the social elite.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Nexx wrote:
    If anything I thought Bane's voice was too clear.  It sounded like it had been dubbed into the film afterwards.

That's what I said on the journey home. There were still times when his words ran together though. Best examples I can think of was on the plane in the opening sequence and his speech during the first fight with Batman. When he was calm it was totally decipherable, but on a few occasions when he was more worked up I was left wondering if I'd missed out on some important part of the dialogue.
  • Nah, Banes voice is fine. I do think his impact is lessened somewhat by the Talia reveal (Not sure why she couldnt have been working for HIM instead of the other way round - more or less everything could have been left in place and Bane would still be the mastermind he is, up until the twist, made out to be)

I think the Blake/ Robin thing is just a funny nod. If anything, the ending sets him up as being the new batman and not a robin character. My feeling is that if Nolan was to do a fourth (and he has given every indication he has no intention) then Blake would take the mantel of the Batman. If WB & DC have the balls, I reckon that is the way they should go as a third Batman reboot doesnt engage as much. 

I'm surprised that people here didnt like Neeson and the twist in the first one (BB). I thought he was excellent as Ra's Al Ghul and that film out of the three hangs together much better than the others. Repeat watching of Dark Knight reveals an awesome Villain but one where plot logic is sacrificed often to showcase him. 

Still, I've enjoyed all of the Nolan films I've seen - Prestige being my own personal favourite but all being very enjoyable. I know he has flaws but as a Big Budget, Blockbuster director he far out-strips his peers - Cameron, Bay, Scott (both of them), even recent Spielberg fare. Actually now that I think of it Spielberg has been off the boil for a while.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dave - I liked Neeson and Ghul. Never quite understood the hate it got. BB is also, perhaps MAYBE PERHAPS better than TDK.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm surprised that people here didnt like Neeson and the twist in the first one (BB). I thought he was excellent as Ra's Al Ghul and that film out of the three hangs together much better than the others. Repeat watching of Dark Knight reveals an awesome Villain but one where plot logic is sacrificed often to showcase him. 
    I think there is far less logic involved in the plans of the first and third films as it's understandable that the Joker would be making up his plan as he goes along to fuck with the authority, he says so much to Dent in the hospital, something to the effect of "They're all schemers, Batman, Gordon". The League of shadows have a plan to destroy Gotham and go through the most insane hoops to pull it off. What was Talia doing all this time, just waiting for someone to trust her with a fusion power source she could turn into an atom bomb, what? Bane does explain he wants to give the people hope and then take it away, but I guess that's more Talia's desire than his as she is the one who jumped out of the pit. Maybe they had a chat about it sometime off camera. Yet another instance of the twist just making Bane pointless. I'm sure if I wanted to read into it that religious dogma gets tainted as it is passed down, that would be fine, but from the movie I just get that things are thrown around quickly with a lot of spectacle so that you just roll with it.

I've watched all three films there over the past few days and I have to say TDK has just far more impacting scenes of drama than the other two, I mean Harvey telling Gordon to say everything's going to be ok to his son even though it isn't is just scary, that whole ending is disturbing as hell, there's actual stakes involved in that movie after Rachel dies(switching to another actress is a real curveball I don't care for. Especially since Holmes was surprisingly decent.)
    Spoiler:
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Not to be too negative, I have to say I just loved Bane. One of his great comebacks is in the Wall Street Exchange. "This is a stock exchange, there is nothing for you to steal." "Then why are all you people here?" He broke Batman for fuck sake, it was great. Also, the only joke I got ruined for me was "Death...by exile!" which is a shame since it's one of only like four jokes in the entire movie.

So what is this film saying. Revolution is not the answer? I guess all Bane does is create a fake revolution, he takes over and then becomes the same as a dictator using hi-tech weaponry while echoing platitudes about freedom. Is this trying to say that revolution can't work? That the people need Batman(the government?) and the police to be controlled. It was kind of strange how police corruption is such a huge issue in the second film and almost completely ignored here.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Thanks for letting me know the end of the Avengers Rick!

Agree with pretty much everything else though, not sure why Holmes got replaced either. Always quite liked Maggie G, but she looks a bit rough compared to Holmes if you watch the films back to back.
  • rickjoyce wrote:
    Also, the only joke I got ruined for me was "Death...by exile!" which is a shame since it's one of only like four jokes in the entire movie.

For reasons I won't bore anyone with I'd been trying to remember the "death or maumau" joke from the League of Gentlemen the other day and couldn't remember how it went until that line.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!