The Dark Knight Rises for the last time... (Spoilers as well if you like)
  • But Toy Story is animation and for children.

trolololol
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Watching Begins at the mo.

A few interesting things, chiefly the fact that R'as holds his collars in the same way as Bane, nice touch.
  • Watched this tonight. Thought it was great but I too had a little bit of difficulty understanding Bane at times. But not enough to really annoy me.

No, the annoying was primarily handled by the wank in the cinema who's phone erupted with "i'm sexy and I know it..." at a crucial moment in the film.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Anyone else have suggestions for best Hollywood trilogy?

Lord of the Rings, actually. As a suggestion.
  • The Bourne Trilogy have been fairly consistent. At least three of the Die Hard films have been good and you cold probably pick three good Mission Impossible films too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes, 2, 2 and 2.
  • Interesting shouts on top Trilogies. I dont think the Mission:Impossible films work as they are more like bonds - they're sequels but not connected in any real way and certainly not telling a joined up story. Bourne would be a good shout for some but personally I never liked them (cant put my finger on it) and again, not sure how much linked up the three films would be.

Dont think Die Hard 1-3 could stand up on the grounds that 2 is only decent and 3 is more than a bit lame. Alien Trilogy is a good one (I quite like part 3 but I understand why others dont). Toy Story? Thats a good shout, really didnt think of it and its probably the only trilogy I can think off where the third film exceeds the second (for me anyway) 

Of course we'll have to wait until the final Cornetto film comes out to see how that stacks up :)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Is there something I'm missing about George Gordon Levitt? Why does Nolan have such a man crush on this guy? Anyhoo I liked TDKR but think I'll need to seedy again, a weirdly paced/structured film with some flabby bits
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Yes, 2, 2 and 2.

2 is the worst one!
  • Yes, the BWURST one.
  • He'll always be the sardonic kid from 3rd Rock to me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Spock wrote:
    Is there something I'm missing about George Gordon Levitt? Why does Nolan have such a man crush on this guy? Anyhoo I liked TDKR but think I'll need to seedy again, a weirdly paced/structured film with some flabby bits

I've got friends who talk about him being the best actor in DKR and I just can't see it. He was adequate for the part but that's it.
  • the Matrix?

There was only one Matrix film you silly.
  • Oops! I always forget that!

Does anyone think batman is meant to be Jesus? In TDK he's all like into the abyss to save Gotham and in TDKR he's all climbing out of a hole in the ground a new man.
  • Nah, it's just the story of 'the one' which you can apply to hundreds of characters, including Jesus.
  • Is batman meant to be Keanu reeves? :-O
  • Was meant to see this on Friday but I was ill so went along today.  Thankfully I managed to avoid spoilers.

Anyway I loved it.  It's my favourite of the 3.

I did miss a couple of Bane's lines when he took Batman to the jail but other than that I heard him fine.  As someone else said, he was almost too clear.  I thought it sounded like his mask had a blue tooth connection to the cinema at times.

I wanted them to do a little bit more with Batman's appearance allowing Bane to escape.  Have him wonder if it was the right thing to do etc.  The film had enough going on though I suppose.
  • Also; I though Bane sounded a bit like George from Rainbow.
  • Heh, he sounds like a lot of things, yep.
  • "No one cared who I was until I put on the mask".

Saw it this morning, the ticket guy was wearing a very convincing Scarecrow costume whilst he tried to appease the rest of the audience as we waited for all the tubbies to get their jumbo popcorn and coke  - at 9.30 in the morning.

Anyhoo, there's a lot to like about this final film and, being post-Prestige Nolan, quite a bit to tear apart too. That will come with more reflection and a second viewing though.

Really enjoyed Tom Hardy's Bane, a towering presence in the film. I couldn't get enough of the voice and I actually think it was intentionally supposed to be funny in a number of scenes as there was certainly a dry undercurrent of sarcasm to some of his deliveries. I was quite giddy in the initial confrontation in the sewer and had goosebumps when Batman tries to fire those things at Bane, only for him to laugh about theatricality (nice return of that theme in the film) and deception to the "initiated".

Hathaway's Catwoman, sorry, Selina Kyle, was great for the time afforded. Most shocking of all is that Nolan actually gave a woman a bit of depth, we got to see inside her flat and everything. Then of course he just forgets about such trivialities, suddenly puts her in costume, has a bit of fun with Batman (great chemistry) and then sidelines her for the majority of the film.

Why did Alfred even need to disappear for the majority of the film too? Yeah sure we have the pain of him not being able to watch Bruce put himself through what he does, but there's surely a missed opportunity here to build upon the man that revealed he was in Burma in the second film. I know Michael Caine is old and all, but he could have had his own heroic moment. Or ya know even pick up Wayne from the prison in the private jet when he escapes, actually giving us an explanation of how he managed to get back to Gotham.

Speaking of the prison, yep loved all this stuff. Although it wasn't particularly the hell Bane made it out to be. The inmates seemed pretty amicable, offering the rope to escape, giving medical assistance etc, Bane even provided a television.

Now the film's major sore point - Talia. I actually thought by the end that it can't be her real identity as Nolan wouldn't be so foolish to shoe-horn this in so late. Surely the ideal point for the revealing would have been when Bane breaks Batman and steals all the tumblers? This would have left Wayne in the prison contemplating both the deception by Talia and fate of Gotham. We could then have had more of an established connection with her and Bane, leaving the flashbacks still until later in order to keep the image up of a compassionless masked warlord. Hell, why not kill Talia before him, fuelling his rage in a more satisfying confrontation with Batman? Freeing up Wayne's feelings for Talia would have also opened up a stronger connection between Batman and Catwoman, leading to jeopardy then success after he saves the woman he loves this time.

Oh and they should have put a picture of Katie Holmes in the picture frame just to fuck with the audience.
  • I still think this movie is poor, but won't comment further until I watch it again. I regret buying so many tickets now.
    GT: RasDam Twitter: @RasDam
  • I stand by that it should have been split into two movies but then it may have fell flat with Nolan. Loved it though. The more I think about it, because I love the trilogy, the more plot holes and questions arise. Overall I cant complain.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Wander wrote:
    Or ya know even pick up Wayne from the prison in the private jet when he escapes, actually giving us an explanation of how he managed to get back to Gotham.

That bothered me actually. How he just casually strolls back in despite the blown bridges, military presence stopping all traffic out (and presumably in) and the wafer-thin ice surrounding the island. Yes, "He's da Batmon!" but I would have liked to see something.
  • He has a gadget for thin ice. Duh.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh yes Mr Freeze's gun.
  • Its like none of you have ever read a comic before.

The elevation of these films to 'modern classic' status is a an annoying. They are good, but they aren't made to stand up to scrutiny. They are just blockbusters. Cast your criticisms on any blockbuster and you'll find the same amount of shitty logic.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    No i'm quite satisfied now that Frosty pointed out he used Freeze's gun. There is no shitty logic in that scene.

mr_freeze.jpg
  • How did Wayne get back from Wherever? Who knows. Even after 8 years out of the spotlight, I imagine Wayne can source a few favours.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Oh yes Mr Freeze's gun.

I meant Arkham City but okay.

The whole thin ice walk bit in the penguin's club. Probably just did the same thing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!