The Dark Knight Rises for the last time... (Spoilers as well if you like)
  • 'cept he programmed said autopilot himself.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is like overanalysing Green Lantern.
  • I watched that the other night.  It was poop.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bird was right fit though.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why's Begins your favourite then Temp?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    This is like overanalysing Green Lantern.

Not really, if Nolan wants his films to be held up on a pedestal as a different level of blockbuster filmmaking then he should have crafted something with at least a story that stands up to scrutiny.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Why's Begins your favourite then Temp?

I like Gotham in it, I think the Narrows/Asylum look really convincing. I liked the glee and joy in Wayne becoming Batman and getting all of his toys. It has a nice line of humour running through it too. It also focuses on some villains that haven't really been done so often, and the fear gas stuff is really good, especially when Batman uses it on Crane in what is such a typical Batman move. The bit with the bats is great too, it just feels more rough and ready to me. Dark Knight is really good, but I think the movie hangs on the performance of Ledger.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Begins is my favourite too.
  • I liked Begins because it washed away all of Batman and Robin's taste. 

I loved TDK. 

Nice avatar Reg. Where did you get that from...?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It also wove the Ra's Al Ghul character into the creation myth really smartly.
  • Yeah I think Begins remains my favourite too for all the reasons mentioned. The story is quite simple and Nolan utilises his non-linear skills to great effect in the first half, the training montage is a highlight. I think it lulls a bit when he actually becomes Batman, pluss it's pretty cheesy at first - "WHERE ARE YOU?". But I love the last part when Ra's turns up. Their confrontation in the manor "it should be you standing by my side, saving the world" - holds a lot of weight and really sets up the ending - "I'll be standing right where I belong, between you and the people of Gotham".

I was hoping we'd see a return of the Narrows in the final film, ahh well.
  • Begins is much more well-rounded and focused than the other two. The sequels are more bombastic. 

I agree with three1ne about the mutation of Gotham across the three films as well. Begins could easily have been a straight adaptation of a never-written comic. Also there's a better use of the Batman character. Like when he first emerges in proper outfit and takes down the mob thugs at the docks. We get the classic rooftop surveying pose when the cops find the thugs(he might actually be perched on a gargoyle or something). It's a well-earned use of that and closes the first act of the film brilliantly. You are watching Batman on film here. Not a hollywood movie with the Batman IP.
    Dunno if that makes sense.   

TDK and DKR definitely feel more like mainstream hollywood blockbuster fare with their reliance on set pieces and explosions. Still good though.
  • I read some utter fan wank about how the last shot of Batman being in the cockpit whilst already out to sea was deliberately put in to confuse you and he'd ejected during that bit the bomb is scrapping along the floor.

How much of a fucking rabid fan boy do you have to be to not even trust what the director is showing you to get everything to add up? Comic book nerds are just the worst.
  • So he replaced himself with a very convincing mannequin?
  • Have you seen the mass effect and Prometheus nerds?
  • THE WORST

Agree with your comments re: Begins Monkey, Batman Comic on Screen, later films Batman IP as films. Heck, in Begins he uses his rope gun to get all over the shop. It is serious and to an extent gritty, but still retains the fantasy of the comics to great effect.

Also love Gordon's "GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THOSE!" line about the Tumbler.
  • I'm just angry because some Batman fanboy had the temerity to tell me my opinion was wrong regarding my statement that I like Iron Man better.

Like there was some grand-master hierarchy of super heroes that everyone agrees on and I was wrong for going against it. Batman is some untouchable god-tier super hero to some people. See also: death threats to the guy who gave TDK a bad review (before the film was on general release I should add).
  • Batman isn't a superhero.  Ironman's status is debatable.
  • But, yeah, whoever gave you grief is a dick.
  • Also there's the scene where it's noted that the autopilot is fixed so.. Wayne/ Batman bailed long before the explosion.. although if the wind was in the wrong direction i expect the fallout blew in and killed them all anyway.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Just because the autopilot is fixed, doesn't mean he definitely used it.
  • Ra's All Goolies flew down from Wayne's memory and flew him to safety.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SUPERMAN CAME  AND SAVED HIM

LINK TO MAN OF STEEL 

:O
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    DAZ WAT DAT TRAILER WAS 4!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Zod resurrects Ra's for some serious moustache twirling.
  • Can't believe I didn't think about this sooner, but even if you accept that a 4 megaton nuke could explode a few miles of the coast of a major city and they'd be unharmed by the fallout, if Batman did bail out and let the Bat autopilot to the work, how the fucking fuck is the Bat not atomised in the blast?
  • This all strikes me as rather tenuous. It's not as if it's Prometheus levels of dumb.
  • Or was the autopliot thing the one they used to block the signal to the bomb in the container, and that's what was fixed (in which case Batman would've had to been carrying around a spare?

Can't remember if the Bat was still intact at the end of the film.
  • No, the autopilot in the wreckage of the Bat was what they found had been fixed.  Wreckage without Bruce's remains in...
  • The wreckage that had been hit with the power of a thousand hammers and still survived.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!