The Dark Knight Rises for the last time... (Spoilers as well if you like)
  • Tempy wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    No doubt in my mind either that it was real although how Nolan set it up does indeed open it up to suggestion. We first see Alfred's dream/hope that when on Holiday he'll see Wayne on another table. And at the end of the film, we see the exact same location and shot. All that Nolan is saying is that Alfred's wish came true although it could (wrongly) be perceived as Alfred still dreaming/wishing.
    I don't buy this because of how film works. You don't show superfluous stuff. Nor do you cram in last minute exposition if you're building to a 'debateable' ending. As Reg as said, if he is just dreaming it, why not cut when Caine smiles? He shows you Wayne and Selina because they are there. If he ever comes out and says otherwise then he needs to go fuck himself because he pisses on all sorts of logic to make a dumb point.

Have you misinterpreted what I said? I am 100% for it being a 'real' ending. All I was saying is that - how the ending references the earlier scene of Alfred's dream/wish makes the ending play out dream like. To me I just see it as an erroneous piece of storytelling.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    three1ne wrote:
    No doubt in my mind either that it was real although how Nolan set it up does indeed open it up to suggestion. We first see Alfred's dream/hope that when on Holiday he'll see Wayne on another table. And at the end of the film, we see the exact same location and shot. All that Nolan is saying is that Alfred's wish came true although it could (wrongly) be perceived as Alfred still dreaming/wishing.
    I don't buy this because of how film works. You don't show superfluous stuff. Nor do you cram in last minute exposition if you're building to a 'debateable' ending. As Reg as said, if he is just dreaming it, why not cut when Caine smiles? He shows you Wayne and Selina because they are there. If he ever comes out and says otherwise then he needs to go fuck himself because he pisses on all sorts of logic to make a dumb point.

Have you misinterpreted what I said? I am 100% for it being a 'real' ending. All I was saying is that - how the ending references the earlier scene of Alfred's dream/wish makes the ending play out dream like. To me I just see it as an erroneous piece of storytelling.

I did misinterpret, yes, I tried to rectify it in a subsequent post. Now just laugh at the Inception gif and we can forget all of this nonsense.
  • Its the animated gif we all fucking deserve.
  • Took my 13 year old Tom boy niece to see this today. It's better the second time around. Still a bit flabby but enjoyable.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Spock wrote:
    Took my 13 year old Tom boy niece to see this today. It's better the second time around. Still a bit flabby but enjoyable.

I wondered if it might be.

Now I really didn't like this film, but i've been hankering after a second reviewing since the day after.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think so highly of Nolan that I'm tempted to blame not being blown away by the film on myself. Maybe I missed something.
  • I enjoyed it a whole lot more 2nd time around. Think the hype, expectation and the fact that it isn't as good as TDK makes you automatically go gangbusters on it. Bale, Hathaway are great and I like Bane's voice: odd, theatrical, pompous, arrogant, ace. He is a batman villain lets remember.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I do think some people are forgetting that it's Batman. It's never going to be that dark as it will always be Batman. None of the comics, even when being excellent, went past being a comic. Nor should they. Saying that the movie was reigned in for the certificate is silly. Batman should be reigned in. He's a comic character.
  • Kow wrote:
    I think so highly of Nolan that I'm tempted to blame not being blown away by the film on myself. Maybe I missed something.

No, don't blame yourself! It's evil, evil Nolan and his hypo-device that's convinced the world he's actually any good at this.

I was something close to angry when I came out of the IMAX. Ranted all the way home. Some of the finer points of said rant are presented here for your consideration.

There's some really cringy expositional dialogue in the first half hour that immediately put me on edge. The ending in bungled and patronising (would a smile from Caine not have been enough)?

It's devoid of any emotion, despite being crammed to the rafters with talent (all doing mostly good jobs, too). 

Gaping, multiple plot holes, cringy dialogue, flat action sequence, painfully obvious twists and most unforgivably - Bale still looks stupid in the suit and sounds even worse.

On the plus side, his Wayne is definitive and by far the best thing in the movie was Catwoman. Not quite movie-elavating as Joker was, but the nearest thing it has.

I think it's a 6.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I found Catwoman to be be pretty dull, tbh.
  • It's a film a bout costumed crime fighting heroes. Why is everyone judging it against "The Remains of the  fisting Day"? Im sure star wars, lord of the rings and all the other stuff have massive gaping holes. Did you enjoy it? Did it move you? Did you allow it to move you? It's a film. Titties.
  • Spock wrote:
    It's a film a bout costumed crime fighting heroes. Why is everyone judging it against "The Remains of the  fisting Day"? Im sure star wars, lord of the rings and all the other stuff have massive gaping holes. Did you enjoy it? Did it move you? Did you allow it to move you? It's a film. Titties.

I'm not doing that. I live for this shit! 

I didn't enjoy it, it certainly didn't move me and I was wide open to this.

It just ain't a good movie.
  • It is good. It's not great. What say you JRPC?
  • Hmm, go on then.
  • *adopts alan partridge's voice* Ahaaaaaa. 
  • I really don't like how Bale portrays Batman himself. Bruce Wayne is fine. But that god awful voice he puts on, and the look of his mouth that makes me think he's holding his breath through his nose really bothers me.
    I mean, why?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sas is this what you're saying

BaneJS.jpg
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Also never forget

• Something perhaps about inversion? Or the vague line between good and evil? In TDKR, the joker and batman ended their relationship literally opposite (head inverted to head) like a playing card. Bane's lair has a waterfall, his mask covers the places batmans don't. He is a batman. Voices smoiches.
  • All felt a bit rushed to me until the final 30 or 40 mins when the action flowed a little nicer. Still a bit of a mess though luckily not as bad as Prometheus. Seems to be turning into a year of disappointing blockbusters though (apart from Avengers) which I'm not sure is better than last years "no blockbusters" year. I hope The Hobbit can bring in the goods and be a proper good movie.

I did feel Bane's voice was a bit crisp but I definitely preferred it to when I saw the plane bit before the newest MI and I couldn't understand anything he said due to the plane noise overwhelming everything. I was a bit disappointed with the Bane breaking Batman fight as it didn't seem as high impact as I thought it should be apart from when he broke the mask.
     There was a bit in the second fight at the end when there's a bit of CG of computer modification of Bane's punches that make them seem quicker and heavier than the average bear (just after Batman damages his mask I think) and that was more what I was expecting.

Was still a cool character even though, as has been said, he was kind of ruined by the Talia thing which completely emasculated him as the mastermind villan he'd been set up to be.

It's been a long time since I've watched Begins so I need to go back and see it again to make a "favourite" judgement call but at the moment it is 2.
  • I also liked the "so that's how that feels" line. Was a clever little joke.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Also never forget
    Never forget a film that people reviewed poorly because they didn't get that its tongue was firmly in its cheek, going for the same feel as the Adam West era Batman?
  • Yes, Batman and Robin was too clever for everyone. 

Remember all the shit stuff? That was all intentional you idiots.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    They should rerelease it with kapows and thwacks added, instant classic.
    Things can only get better.
  • Just realised that the reason Bane's voice sounded dubbed was because it was fucking dubbed, durr. Had to sort it out after people complained about it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It was always dubbed. How do you think the mic would clearly be able to record his voice with that thing on?
  • his voice would come out his ears duh
  • Well I assume he actually delivered his lines while filming so sound must be able to get out?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Sas is this what you're saying BaneJS.jpg

Sorry. IDGI.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!