Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Buy it now. Same reason i bought prebuilt. Id rather pay a little extra for ease of mind, but then im utterly rubbish at building anything.
  • Yeah, I’d normally say build it yourself cos it’s piss easy, but given the state of deliveries at the mo, pre-built seems a solid option.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    You can get my PC for a few hundred more (even though they've changed the CPU since I complained to them).
  • Looks at Muzzy's complete inability to build hardware, checks avatar. Yup, checks out.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    'No customer review.'
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    IT
    IS
    DONE
    #pcmasterrace
  • acemuzzy wrote:

I'll explain the 4000 series issue in a moment, but first of all while that generally appears to be a good spec it uses an A320 motherboard which is the most basic and limited of the chipsets, and almost certainly won't see 4000 series CPU support.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Lol too late
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Thread title change needed.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Lol too late

Mate youre gonna be balling for years, its legit. Forget the technicalities, i cant even overclock my CPU and it fucks everything into submission.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Welcome to the top peddle stool lad
  • I built my pc from scan/amazon/ebay over black friday, cycber monday and boxing day sales a few years ago. Whole machine just came under 2k at the time and work paid for it. It was my dev lab for home. 64gb of DDR4 ram is still over kill now. Lol. Machine is still a beast. I got a Asus x99 deluxe board, 1.5 tb of SSD. RAID 1 setup for the data drives and a m.2 as a boot drive. 1070 gtx card.

Oh and colour changing keyboard, mouse and mouse pad finished it off.
  • Ok so with upgrading CPUs, first of all it's worth considering if your the sort of person that would ever really need or want to, it's fair to say that most people probably don't upgrade their systems with a more powerful compatible chip and end up just waiting until several gens later when they just upgrade the whole lot.

But then again many might buy a cheaper setup with the intention of upgrading later if necessary, like for myself I've been thinking about swapping in a higher core count CPU than my 8 core 2nd gen so I can get better performance in 3D, music production, and video applications, as well as for some benefits in gaming.

So you may or may not wish to upgrade but it's a nice option to have, and for the last 3 generations of Ryzen we've had great compatibility and options to do so. But with the next gen it looks like things might change due to some daft BIOS chip size limitations. Basically many boards' BIOS chips don't have enough capacity to contain all the necessary code to run the huge array of available AM4 socket CPUs now, AMD knew about this a while ago but neglected to update their marketing and communication leading to some annoyance and frustration from a lot of people and the tech press.

The thing is, if the board manufacturers were allowed to they could release updates that would bring support for 4000 on B450/X470 boards, by removing support for older chips like the first generation of Ryzen. This has been done before already on some X370 boards where in order to get 3rd gen you have to lose the 1st, so it's not unprecedented and could be done, but is just a bit of a faff for the board manufacturers to sort out. I think they would do it though given the huge demand, would make for great PR.

The possibly good news is that the boards that I have been recommending to you lot for your budget builds stand the best chance of seeing some kind of update to add the 4000 series as supported CPUs, they are the most popular and have the biggest userbase, and in many cases have the 32Mb BIOS chips to make adding the extra code no problem really. But at the moment AMD has just dropped this blanket sort of determination over which chipsets will and won't get support, so it's not clear what will happen closer to the launch of 4000 probably later this year.

For now if you want guaranteed next gen support the only option is a more fully specced X570 motherboard, which is not ideal for budget builders as they seem to start at £150 rather than £70-100ish. And unless you have some more serious requirements for productivity it's unlikely most people need all the I/O and features of X570, B450 is usually more than enough. There is B550 which was supposed to have released ages ago, but has yet to be released. This puts people like me and the tech press in an awkward postion when it comes to putting together builds for people, as we'd like to suggest stuff that offers the greatest performance and capability for the money, as well as offering plenty of future support for new tech, but there's this big price gap between B450 and X570.. Until like last week everone was under the impression that all these boards would be getting support for the 4th gen based on AMD's previous marketing and communication.

Despite that I think AMD are still better than Intel when it comes to this kind of stuff, you basically only ever get two CPU generations out of a socket with Intel, so we've had it pretty good considering. But still, unless there's some other technical reason why we couldn't have 4th gen Ryzen support on current lower end or older boards that AMD aren't telling us about it seems quite daft to be limited due to BIOS chip capacity, something the engineers should have ideally have thought of back at the start of Ryzen. But hey that's hindsight for you I guess, perhaps they never thought they would be so succesful with the new architectures.
  • Lol too late
    Mate youre gonna be balling for years, its legit. Forget the technicalities, i cant even overclock my CPU and it fucks everything into submission.

Yeah to be fair, while I wouldn't recommend A320 for a DIY build, it will probably perform just fine if all you are doing is playing games on the machine and don't want to plug lots of stuff into the system or upgrade it in the near future. A 3700X is about the same but slightly better than the next consoles.

Regarding editing PCPartpicker lists: If editing a list I've sent someone is fucking up just start a new one with the button near the top left right of the page, and manually add in the same parts that were on the initial list. Just take a screenshot of the initial parts list or go by my forum post or whatever. It'll be because the link I posted is a permalink which I guess doesn't want to be edited. Just in case anyone else has this problem.
  • Ever since I installed a new mobo my PC starts in hibernate mode and I have to turn it off and on again before it'll start normally. It won't wake up without depowering first. Any ideas?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Probably some BIOS weirdness, try resetting to defaults or updating it the latest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a very strange graphical glitch and I don't know how to fix it. It doesn't effect web browsers, or certain office apps, but does interfere with other apps, particularly GoG, Slack, atom text editor, Microsoft teams, and game loading/option menus that appear sometimes when you launch a game from steam.

Essentially the screens go grainy around text or areas of contrast until forced to refresh (mousing over, or clicking on etc). I've updated drivers and fiddled with settings but I can't seem to fix it. Anyone got any ideas?
  • Nvidia sharpening, or AMD's equivalent, try disabling it in the respective control panels.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah it happens on a couple of my games if I ramp it up to like 100%
  • Probably some BIOS weirdness, try resetting to defaults or updating it the latest.

Ta.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Yeah it happens on a couple of my games if I ramp it up to like 100%

Oof 100% is a bit much IMO, normally I find 5-30% more than enough depending on the game.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah I never use 100% but always check it out
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That seems to have fixed it for most things, thanks.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Heh, don't think so, alas.  Given I'm on a 670 or something atm, I think any of this will be quite a step up!  

Pretty tedious trying to edit stuff on that pcpartpicker page - whenever I try to change a component it has me start a new build nngg.  Might see how chillblast compares, if that has a good rep and means I don't need to risk breaking anything...
    Edit - you need to click the edit button, duh.

Use Scan. Ive only ever used them and theyre legit. Got a little usb drive with mine showing all their stress tests diagnostics.

Went with scan. Not even shipped in the expect delivery day. Damn you DS, damn you. Legit indeed.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Ask their customer sevice for 50% off
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Hmm they're now saying it's it of stock till the 26th, despite still being "in stock" and "order now to receive in Wednesday" in their website. Which is pretty shitty of you ask me. Particularly when speed of delivery was a factor I weighed up.

They've offered some chassis upgrade, but it's left me a bit grumpy. Grr.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I know that trick, we employ it at work. Just say you want another 16gig of ram as a compromise or get a refund.
  • Yeah, that’s sneaky but a lot of places do it - mainly for cash flow and invoicing. Ask for something good or a full refund like DS said.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!