jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    They're doing so much work across the board.

Cheap as chips
  • As usual it's best to wait for proper reviewer testing of all these manufacturer claims.

There's no doubt rasterization won't be double but they'll be right with all the AI tweaks added on. It doesn't matter if it's not actual 8K if you can't tell the difference, and these cards will improve with age if anything, as the AI improves.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I'm on a 1440p 165hz display and currently have a gtx 1080 - do I actually need one of these? At what point does my display output negate all that extra power?

I certainly feel like there'd be no need to get the 3080. 

I'll be interested to see what the 3060 can do when they announce it.
  • The Tis might get announced at some point too. And AMD haven't shown their hand yet. No need to rush.
  • The general rule of thumb for all PC parts is to stick with what you already have, until you start to feel dissatisfied with the experience the hardware is giving you. Then upgrade according to what will make the most meaningful performance difference for your needs.
  • That's the boring rule.
  • Frosty wrote:
    I'm on a 1440p 165hz display and currently have a gtx 1080 - do I actually need one of these? At what point does my display output negate all that extra power? I certainly feel like there'd be no need to get the 3080.  I'll be interested to see what the 3060 can do when they announce it.

If you want the burden of knowledge, then use a FPS monitor overlay to see how many more of those potential 165 hertzes you could actually be seeing while playing a game, keeping in mind that the bottleneck could be your CPU in some circumstances.
  • Frosty wrote:
    I'm on a 1440p 165hz display and currently have a gtx 1080 - do I actually need one of these? At what point does my display output negate all that extra power? I certainly feel like there'd be no need to get the 3080.  I'll be interested to see what the 3060 can do when they announce it.
    If you want the burden of knowledge, then use a FPS monitor overlay to see how many more of those potential 165 hertzes you could actually be seeing while playing a game, keeping in mind that the bottleneck could be your CPU in some circumstances.

Yeah I need to do that more. I noticed the CPU was a bottleneck on Flight Sim but I think that was a special case. Everything else I haven't really noticed any issues with but I would like that burden of knowledge just in case...

I certainly wouldn't be getting one now anyway as I want to see what the new consoles bring for PC game requirements and that won't be clear until next year probably.

Ray tracing would be nice though...
  • My entire pc is the bottleneck. Started to play about with partpicker earlier. Still not sure on best cpu to go for these days.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Is it possible to transfer windows to a new build?
  • Hold on for the new Ryzen 4000 Zen 3 CPUs that will be out soon, probably in the next few months.

You can transfer Windows with a retail license, dunno about OEM keys and the like. I think you might be able to deactivate Windows on your current machine before you reinstall on the new one, I would probably do some research on that.
  • Cool, cheers.
  • Lads might I have some recommendations for an ultra low budget gpu please? 
    Im running a 2600x with 16gb ram, an SSD and.......a gt710.........Im looking for something to let me play some recent games in decent settings.....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Depends what ultra budget means. Might be a good time to pick up a second hand 1070. They were going for around 200 I believe, though might be less given recent announcements. 1060 was a decent card that might be cheaper.
  • Wait until after the 17th and they’ll be all over the place, I’ll be lucky to get £100 for my 2060super.
  • You should get a 1080ti nice and cheap.
  • We talking on eBay?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dunno, never bought a not new one. But they should be cheap.

• I have a high end 850w EVGA PSU to sell, if anyone is needing one for a proper future proof upgrade or for a new system let me know.
  • I’m after a new psu. 850w might be overkill as only looking at a 3070 (or equivalent big navi).
  • SG, I opened up my PC and I have a 700w PSU. I take it that will be fine for the card?
  • Hello friends. 

So Cyberpunk is fast approaching, but also the 3070 might be available at some point in the future. 

I want to have a go at building a PC as my current PC is due for retirement. I have a decent PSU (I think it's an 800 or 1000W jobber) and will keep the HDD and SSD combo along with peripherals, so does anyone have any good resources where I can go to read up on options and/or pricing? 

I think I'm probably budgeting between £1000-1500 for the case, mobo, ram, processor, 3070 but I'm a bit out of touch with prices. Would like to be able to get something decent but no aspiration for it to be bleeding edge which I assume is firmly in the realm of £2k minimum.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So the PSU I'm selling is an EVGA 850w G5 gold rated fully modular power supply, has a silent fan mode that keeps the fan still at idle/low loads and an apparently pretty quiet FDB fan for high loads. I was lucky enough to win it on a recent EVGA livestream, and need sell it for the monies. It has a 10 year warranty too, EVGA are good for RMA's of 2nd hand gear in my experience, though I wouldn't expect any issues at all with this thing for a long long time.

I already happen to have an EVGA 850W G2 power supply that I've been using for the past few years, and it's been perfect. Makes no noise 95% of the time due to the silent fan mode. And it's allowed me to overclock all my parts to the max and keep total stability.

I've banged on about the importance of getting a good PSU for ages now, and I do mean it as a solid PSU will last you through many PC upgrades and overhauls, and protect your components from power surges and dropouts, while also delivering very clean power that will allow the parts to reach their maximum performance should you choose to overclock. That said if you just have cheaper parts in a low/mid range system perhaps this might be overkill, but still it very much doesn't hurt to have far more capacity than you currently need as you add more power hungry components in the future.

It's all brand new, box is still in the plastic wrapping. £95 including postage.
  • SG, I opened up my PC and I have a 700w PSU. I take it that will be fine for the card?

As long as it's from a reputable manufacturer and is of good quality then it should be more than enough. Really cheap PSUs will often have high ratings but might not actually be able to sustain that kind of load, so be careful.
  • Roujin wrote:
    Hello friends.  So Cyberpunk is fast approaching, but also the 3070 might be available at some point in the future.  I want to have a go at building a PC as my current PC is due for retirement. I have a decent PSU (I think it's an 800 or 1000W jobber) and will keep the HDD and SSD combo along with peripherals, so does anyone have any good resources where I can go to read up on options and/or pricing?  I think I'm probably budgeting between £1000-1500 for the case, mobo, ram, processor, 3070 but I'm a bit out of touch with prices. Would like to be able to get something decent but no aspiration for it to be bleeding edge which I assume is firmly in the realm of £2k minimum.

I'll help sort you out, best bet is PCPartpicker for price and parts aggregation and list building. Gimme 20 mins and I'll put a rough list together. You may want to consider holding off until the next gen of Ryzen CPUs which come out fairly soon I think, 3rd gen chips are amazing bang for the buck though.
  • So the PSU I'm selling is an EVGA 850w G5 gold rated fully modular power supply, has a silent fan mode that keeps the fan still at idle/low loads and an apparently pretty quiet FDB fan for high loads. I was lucky enough to win it on a recent EVGA livestream, and need sell it for the monies. It has a 10 year warranty too, EVGA are good for RMA's of 2nd hand gear in my experience, though I wouldn't expect any issues at all with this thing for a long long time.

I already happen to have an EVGA 850W G2 power supply that I've been using for the past few years, and it's been perfect. Makes no noise 95% of the time due to the silent fan mode. And it's allowed me to overclock all my parts to the max and keep total stability.

I've banged on about the importance of getting a good PSU for ages now, and I do mean it as a solid PSU will last you through many PC upgrades and overhauls, and protect your components from power surges and dropouts, while also delivering very clean power that will allow the parts to reach their maximum performance should you choose to overclock. That said if you just have cheaper parts in a low/mid range system perhaps this might be overkill, but still it very much doesn't hurt to have far more capacity than you currently need as you add more power hungry components in the future.

It's all brand new, box is still in the plastic wrapping. £95 including postage.

I’ll drop you a PM this eve.
  • @Roujin Here you go for starters -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£281.58 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£171.38 @ Newegg UK)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (£133.58 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£139.98 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card  (£459.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£91.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £1277.99
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-29 17:28 BST+0100

The 2070 is placeholder, the 3070 should be a similar price, though good luck getting one near launch as the demand will be high AF again. I would want to do more research on the best motherboard so that's just a quick pick for now. The case is one of my typical quick solid picks, you may want something different though I would prioritise airflow.

For your budget and use with streaming I would try and stretch to the 12 core CPU instead. As I said there will be a new gen of Ryzen out this year so you may wish to hold out for that.

I'm not sure what you have exactly but IIRC your system is old enough that you probably don't have an NVME SSD, so I added a nice one there which should get your storage speed about on par with the new Xboxes. Considering you will have PCIE Gen 4 on that mobo you might want to stretch to a PCIE 4.0 SSD actually, which will be a bit faster in some circumstances.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Would anyone be able to say wich card I'd need if it needs to output to 3 screens at the same time, and output 4k images to each screen?
  • Oof, I would need to research that a bit, but I wonder if you could probably do it with most cards, but be limited to 30 Hz to some/all of the monitors..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!