Let's make a gaming PC
  • Hmm looks like even the GTX 1080 could do 3x 4K @ 60Hz. I guess as long as it has enough display outputs most cards should be able to do it, but I would try and double check.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Thanks Gurt, think we got to the 1080 or 2080 as well, without doing too extensive research. We won't be building the pc this side of the ocean, so it's a bit of a weird build
  • SG, I opened up my PC and I have a 700w PSU. I take it that will be fine for the card?

Plenty.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Ooh ta Gurt! I'll give that list and the part picker website a look. Definitely content to put off the build until 3070s are relatively available though given the performance boost for the price, even better if that means I get to pick up the next gen Ryzen from having to wait anyway.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    Thanks Gurt, think we got to the 1080 or 2080 as well, without doing too extensive research. We won't be building the pc this side of the ocean, so it's a bit of a weird build
    If your card doesn't have enough 4k capable outs you might be able to buy an additional external graphics card thingamebob for the third screen.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Something like that maybe. Not sure if it will be any good for gaming, but I'm not sure if that what you want it for (plus one or two monitors can still use your existing card).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dell-D3100-Docking-Station-452-BBOT/dp/B00O0M46KO
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    so......Im doing it....FTW I have this project I'm working on that involves streaming, video making and maybe some gaming (cyberpunk at 1440p and looking nice.....?) requires something a bit more adept than my current i7 and GTX970, so call me MAD but the time is right to actually try to build a pooter! This will involve beer, and also my son who is knowledgeable and home during these mad and rubbish times.....so.......this is the spec so far and I'm scared but it also feels as I buy parts like this is my Aston Martin in the form of a PC!

i9 10900k
    GPU - not sure, but probably a 2070 or 2080 super if I cant get a 3070 before november (yep....no, so will wait till next year for that and then stick the 2070/80 in my older Thunderbird)
    Mummyboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E
    16GB DDr4
    PSU - Corsair RM750

case - something like a fractal R6 with a glass bit cos I'm all about the bling.

Any thoughts from the crowd well appreciated.

Things feel shit here. This is therapy and a dad son project of sorts. :)
    rest less
  • Good man, I meant to find the thread for you and got sidetracked.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Good man, I meant to find the thread for you and got sidetracked.
    I am here sir. Thanks.
    rest less
  • Louiecat wrote:
    so......Im doing it....FTW I have this project I'm working on that involves streaming, video making and maybe some gaming (cyberpunk at 1440p and looking nice.....?) requires something a bit more adept than my current i7 and GTX970, so call me MAD but the time is right to actually try to build a pooter! This will involve beer, and also my son who is knowledgeable and home during these mad and rubbish times.....so.......this is the spec so far and I'm scared but it also feels as I buy parts like this is my Aston Martin in the form of a PC! i9 10900k GPU - not sure, but probably a 2070 or 2080 super if I cant get a 3070 before november (yep....no, so will wait till next year for that and then stick the 2070/80 in my older Thunderbird) Mummyboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E 16GB DDr4 PSU - Corsair RM750 case - something like a fractal R6 with a glass bit cos I'm all about the bling. Any thoughts from the crowd well appreciated. Things feel shit here. This is therapy and a dad son project of sorts. :)

I don't know how much of a rush you are in to get it built, but you may want to hold off until the end of this month, at least for the CPU. Details on the next generation of Ryzen will be released in a week, and the first of the actual processors could be out by the end of the month/November. For your purposes a Ryzen CPU will be ideal, more cores and better multicore performance than Intel for the price, and much better power consumption relatively, which also means lower cooling requirements. The PCIE setup is better with the AMD X570 chipset too. Rumours and other details indicate that the next AMD gen (Ryzen 5000) will be a beast, 3000 was already excellent for editing and general productivity as well as being very close to Intel for gaming.

You should get much more RAM IMO if you want to do video stuff, at least 32 GB, and I would aim for 3600 MHz speed.

GPU situation is tricky right now what very low availability of the new stuff, I guess the best bet would be to put in a back order for a reasonable price.

I would recommend a case with decent airflow, particularly if you are going for high end parts that will be kicking out a lot of heat. I'll have a look at some of the best options a bit later.
  • Yep - end of this month and the PC landscape will be completely different.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    so......Im doing it....FTW I have this project I'm working on that involves streaming, video making and maybe some gaming (cyberpunk at 1440p and looking nice.....?) requires something a bit more adept than my current i7 and GTX970, so call me MAD but the time is right to actually try to build a pooter! This will involve beer, and also my son who is knowledgeable and home during these mad and rubbish times.....so.......this is the spec so far and I'm scared but it also feels as I buy parts like this is my Aston Martin in the form of a PC! i9 10900k GPU - not sure, but probably a 2070 or 2080 super if I cant get a 3070 before november (yep....no, so will wait till next year for that and then stick the 2070/80 in my older Thunderbird) Mummyboard - Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E 16GB DDr4 PSU - Corsair RM750 case - something like a fractal R6 with a glass bit cos I'm all about the bling. Any thoughts from the crowd well appreciated. Things feel shit here. This is therapy and a dad son project of sorts. :)

I don't know how much of a rush you are in to get it built, but you may want to hold off until the end of this month, at least for the CPU. Details on the next generation of Ryzen will be released in a week, and the first of the actual processors could be out by the end of the month/November. For your purposes a Ryzen CPU will be ideal, more cores and better multicore performance than Intel for the price, and much better power consumption relatively, which also means lower cooling requirements. The PCIE setup is better with the AMD X570 chipset too. Rumours and other details indicate that the next AMD gen (Ryzen 5000) will be a beast, 3000 was already excellent for editing and general productivity as well as being very close to Intel for gaming.

You should get much more RAM IMO if you want to do video stuff, at least 32 GB, and I would aim for 3600 MHz speed.

GPU situation is tricky right now what very low availability of the new stuff, I guess the best bet would be to put in a back order for a reasonable price.

I would recommend a case with decent airflow, particularly if you are going for high end parts that will be kicking out a lot of heat. I'll have a look at some of the best options a bit later.

Gurt thanks for the really constructive feedback!
    Ha - having thought I would stick with intel I have cancelled my i910900k order for now(one is actually a return!) based on your thoughts about the AMD options and price and discussions with my “PC Doctor” son on the need/not need for an overclocking option (yeah I wont be tinkering and the straight i910900 is 140 quid cheaper) and am doing some more research and really want to make this a pleasurable exercise in using money rather than burning it! 

the busiest I will be will be when I’m streaming, recording the stream AND gaming, although the stream will be a podcast style at times with live readings of fiction and graphic backdrops on green screen. Games I would love to share play with audience will be cyberpunk, action RPGs, stuff that has great environment design and is good for just wandering around in and exploring the wider stories. 

I'm really interested in your thoughts re cases - you're rhe second in a couple of days to mention having a spacious set up and knowing me I would like room to add.....fire.away. I liked the fractal line for the minimalist look and I am an aesthetic type of chap but open to suggestions. If my budget can squeeze in a bigger case then brill.

Roger on the RAM. I had thought 32 rather than 16 but was trying to save money - im working on da vinci resolve with 16gn right now and its not bad at all......could always add later?

On the gpu. Yep. Need a build in the next month for momentum so probs go for 20 series but won't buy till after 15th just incase.......

And thank you. I feel less rushed now and will do some more thinking and research.
    rest less
  • Crosspost from the Ask... thread:

I need to get a new laptop and am wondering what ~£500 will get me - this isn't for gaming, just want something that's not shite and will see me sorted for a number of years. I probably will play some retro FPS, and some other bits and bobs, but mostly indie/retro stuff, not looking to push it. Mainly going to use it for day-to-day admin, general browsing etc.

Any specific tips?
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Another one to fly up the @GurtTractor flare.. 

I've got a nephew who's all fired up top get his first PC for minecraft, light streaming with friends.. other PC gaming fun. He's a pretty canny chap and would have a budget more in the £800 range and might look to buy by year end. 
    He's been looking at the trusty pcpartpicker site so we're veering deep here.. 

I know the 5000s are coming out by then so they'll be a hopeful choice, the  new AMD GPUs might be on depending on the price or some cheaper 2000 Nvidea ones?, 16gig ram? maybe to get him running, PSU? 500? 600?,  he's got a 1080 Hisense TV that would work as a monitor at a pinch.., already uses a M&K for the PS4, needs a Windows license, and case for potential expansion or filling with leds... 

I'm aware that that's not too much to work on given the time of year and announcements imminent but I'll probably be back in a while to pester you for more info as and when.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • I'm really curious to see the amd graphics offering later this year, given they will be upscaled versions of what's in consoles. Does that mean the old driver amd issues won't be a thing? Will they do the nvidia thing of offloading texture decompression from the cpu . Alternatively, will we still not get all the extra bells and whistles that you get with nvidia offerings on their cards? Will nvidia card actually be available to buy by then....?
  • Louiecat wrote:
    I don't know how much of a rush you are in to get it built, but you may want to hold off until the end of this month, at least for the CPU. Details on the next generation of Ryzen will be released in a week, and the first of the actual processors could be out by the end of the month/November. For your purposes a Ryzen CPU will be ideal, more cores and better multicore performance than Intel for the price, and much better power consumption relatively, which also means lower cooling requirements. The PCIE setup is better with the AMD X570 chipset too. Rumours and other details indicate that the next AMD gen (Ryzen 5000) will be a beast, 3000 was already excellent for editing and general productivity as well as being very close to Intel for gaming. You should get much more RAM IMO if you want to do video stuff, at least 32 GB, and I would aim for 3600 MHz speed. GPU situation is tricky right now what very low availability of the new stuff, I guess the best bet would be to put in a back order for a reasonable price. I would recommend a case with decent airflow, particularly if you are going for high end parts that will be kicking out a lot of heat. I'll have a look at some of the best options a bit later.
    Gurt thanks for the really constructive feedback! Ha - having thought I would stick with intel I have cancelled my i910900k order for now(one is actually a return!) based on your thoughts about the AMD options and price and discussions with my “PC Doctor” son on the need/not need for an overclocking option (yeah I wont be tinkering and the straight i910900 is 140 quid cheaper) and am doing some more research and really want to make this a pleasurable exercise in using money rather than burning it!  the busiest I will be will be when I’m streaming, recording the stream AND gaming, although the stream will be a podcast style at times with live readings of fiction and graphic backdrops on green screen. Games I would love to share play with audience will be cyberpunk, action RPGs, stuff that has great environment design and is good for just wandering around in and exploring the wider stories.  I'm really interested in your thoughts re cases - you're rhe second in a couple of days to mention having a spacious set up and knowing me I would like room to add.....fire.away. I liked the fractal line for the minimalist look and I am an aesthetic type of chap but open to suggestions. If my budget can squeeze in a bigger case then brill. Roger on the RAM. I had thought 32 rather than 16 but was trying to save money - im working on da vinci resolve with 16gn right now and its not bad at all......could always add later? On the gpu. Yep. Need a build in the next month for momentum so probs go for 20 series but won't buy till after 15th just incase....... And thank you. I feel less rushed now and will do some more thinking and research.

Yeah so for your usage high end Intel will be fine, you can just get more cores and overall power with AMD for the money which is why I mentioned it. A 10900/K will handle everything you need to though, just be careful to get sufficient cooling for that as it does run hot.

In terms of cases I'm not super clued up on the best models to look for currently, but I would recommend Gamers Nexus as a source of quality reviews with an airflow focus, which is important if you going to be putting some high end gear in there. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now  Also see their youtube channel for the latest case reviews. Choose something that you can grow into, and will be easy to clean the dust filters on and get into to add more storage. I also recommend at least 4 front USB ports for convenience.

For your usage I would 100% go for at least 32GB, if you get two sticks then you can always add another couple. It used to be that 8GB was the general standard minimum recommendation, and 16 was more of the future proof 'enough for most things'. But now I would say that about now 16GB is the new minimum recommended, and 32 is where you should be looking for future proofness. I'm saying this sort of mainly due to how much RAM Flight Simulator 2020 manages to use, other games will follow suit and the new consoles will usher in more ambitious games. Also for video editing it's generally recommended to have more memory than the average user would need, I think that many youtubers need 64GB for their 4K workflow.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Crosspost from the Ask... thread: I need to get a new laptop and am wondering what ~£500 will get me - this isn't for gaming, just want something that's not shite and will see me sorted for a number of years. I probably will play some retro FPS, and some other bits and bobs, but mostly indie/retro stuff, not looking to push it. Mainly going to use it for day-to-day admin, general browsing etc. Any specific tips?

For that money and your usage I would focus on getting as good a CPU and general build quality as you can get, and not worry too much about the GPU as you just aren't going to get anything super performant for that budget.

Not endorsing this particular laptop but this sort of thing is what I would look out for - https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/hp-14s-fq0000na-14-fhd-ryzen-5-4500u-8gb-ram-256gb-m2-nvme-ssd-ps49997-at-box-3555898

Something with a Ryzen 4500U processor or other 7nm Ryzen CPU should do you just fine, and has integrated graphics which is probably fine for old and retro games.

• isanbard wrote:
    Another one to fly up the @GurtTractor flare..  I've got a nephew who's all fired up top get his first PC for minecraft, light streaming with friends.. other PC gaming fun. He's a pretty canny chap and would have a budget more in the £800 range and might look to buy by year end.  He's been looking at the trusty pcpartpicker site so we're veering deep here..  I know the 5000s are coming out by then so they'll be a hopeful choice, the  new AMD GPUs might be on depending on the price or some cheaper 2000 Nvidea ones?, 16gig ram? maybe to get him running, PSU? 500? 600?,  he's got a 1080 Hisense TV that would work as a monitor at a pinch.., already uses a M&K for the PS4, needs a Windows license, and case for potential expansion or filling with leds...  I'm aware that that's not too much to work on given the time of year and announcements imminent but I'll probably be back in a while to pester you for more info as and when.

£800 is a good budget for a build to start with, gives you a good platform for future upgrades -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£179.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£99.95 @ AWD-IT)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (£59.95 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£72.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card  (£200.00 @ Currys PC World)
    Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  (£83.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£104.99 @ AWD-IT)
    Total: £800.87
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-06 16:59 BST+0100

The GPU and perhaps the CPU can be considered placeholder, it certainly won't hurt waiting a little bit for the new hardware to come out in the next month or two. That system should handle mostly any game just fine, for streaming it might be wise to try and aim for a little more CPU power with an 8 core, but the 6 core Ryzens tend to be fantastic price/performance.
  • voices wrote:
    I'm really curious to see the amd graphics offering later this year, given they will be upscaled versions of what's in consoles. Does that mean the old driver amd issues won't be a thing? Will they do the nvidia thing of offloading texture decompression from the cpu . Alternatively, will we still not get all the extra bells and whistles that you get with nvidia offerings on their cards? Will nvidia card actually be available to buy by then....?

I think AMD's drivers have been generally fine for a while now, you hear about people having issues but honestly I hear about the same amount regarding Nvidia. The driver control panel interface is unified and much nicer with AMD IMO, Nvidia still uses the ancient Control Panel and the dreadful Geforce Experience for full functionality.

We'll have to wait and see how AMD's next gen graphics stack up against Nvidia, hopefully they are decently competitive. Raytracing performance will be very interesting to see, and I hope that they have something similar to DLSS.

There will be news from AMD regarding Zen 3 CPUs on October 8th, then news on the GPUs on the 28th.
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I don't know how much of a rush you are in to get it built, but you may want to hold off until the end of this month, at least for the CPU. Details on the next generation of Ryzen will be released in a week, and the first of the actual processors could be out by the end of the month/November. For your purposes a Ryzen CPU will be ideal, more cores and better multicore performance than Intel for the price, and much better power consumption relatively, which also means lower cooling requirements. The PCIE setup is better with the AMD X570 chipset too. Rumours and other details indicate that the next AMD gen (Ryzen 5000) will be a beast, 3000 was already excellent for editing and general productivity as well as being very close to Intel for gaming. You should get much more RAM IMO if you want to do video stuff, at least 32 GB, and I would aim for 3600 MHz speed. GPU situation is tricky right now what very low availability of the new stuff, I guess the best bet would be to put in a back order for a reasonable price. I would recommend a case with decent airflow, particularly if you are going for high end parts that will be kicking out a lot of heat. I'll have a look at some of the best options a bit later.
    Gurt thanks for the really constructive feedback! Ha - having thought I would stick with intel I have cancelled my i910900k order for now(one is actually a return!) based on your thoughts about the AMD options and price and discussions with my “PC Doctor” son on the need/not need for an overclocking option (yeah I wont be tinkering and the straight i910900 is 140 quid cheaper) and am doing some more research and really want to make this a pleasurable exercise in using money rather than burning it!  the busiest I will be will be when I’m streaming, recording the stream AND gaming, although the stream will be a podcast style at times with live readings of fiction and graphic backdrops on green screen. Games I would love to share play with audience will be cyberpunk, action RPGs, stuff that has great environment design and is good for just wandering around in and exploring the wider stories.  I'm really interested in your thoughts re cases - you're rhe second in a couple of days to mention having a spacious set up and knowing me I would like room to add.....fire.away. I liked the fractal line for the minimalist look and I am an aesthetic type of chap but open to suggestions. If my budget can squeeze in a bigger case then brill. Roger on the RAM. I had thought 32 rather than 16 but was trying to save money - im working on da vinci resolve with 16gn right now and its not bad at all......could always add later? On the gpu. Yep. Need a build in the next month for momentum so probs go for 20 series but won't buy till after 15th just incase....... And thank you. I feel less rushed now and will do some more thinking and research.
    Yeah so for your usage high end Intel will be fine, you can just get more cores and overall power with AMD for the money which is why I mentioned it. A 10900/K will handle everything you need to though, just be careful to get sufficient cooling for that as it does run hot. In terms of cases I'm not super clued up on the best models to look for currently, but I would recommend Gamers Nexus as a source of quality reviews with an airflow focus, which is important if you going to be putting some high end gear in there. https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3604-best-gaming-pc-cases-for-airflow-in-2020-right-now  Also see their youtube channel for the latest case reviews. Choose something that you can grow into, and will be easy to clean the dust filters on and get into to add more storage. I also recommend at least 4 front USB ports for convenience. For your usage I would 100% go for at least 32GB, if you get two sticks then you can always add another couple. It used to be that 8GB was the general standard minimum recommendation, and 16 was more of the future proof 'enough for most things'. But now I would say that about now 16GB is the new minimum recommended, and 32 is where you should be looking for future proofness. I'm saying this sort of mainly due to how much RAM Flight Simulator 2020 manages to use, other games will follow suit and the new consoles will usher in more ambitious games. Also for video editing it's generally recommended to have more memory than the average user would need, I think that many youtubers need 64GB for their 4K workflow.

superb - thanks man. Tbh I am getting the feeling that the higher end one can go the less are the differences between intel and AMD in terms of experience - I’m very tempted to go build immediately but a couple of weeks ain’t long to see what is going to come out and if I can get a 3070 then great. 
    the AMD new stuff is interesting but as you say the intel i9 is going to be a great workhorse for whatever I want to do....probably would go for the non-K version though as it would save me 150 squid as I have no plans or need to overclock......that said the base speeds are faster on the K...

thanks for the case advice. will look and see!
    rest less
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Just get an i7 9700k, fecking beast of a processor
  • Thanks Gurt - this gives me a good starting point, time to open lots of browser tabs...
  • New AMD CPUs announced -

• aYJFjsJ.jpg

Take that with a fair old pinch of salt as it's AMD's benchmark results, but it seems reasonable to me to expect basically no perceptible difference in gaming between Intel and AMD now. AMD will be ahead in some things, Intel for others. For productivity stuff like video/3D/compiling I think AMD will absolutely smash it, as the 3000 series was already excellent in those tasks.

There will be compatibility with X470/B450 boards but you will want to pay attention to the details in that video as there's specific BIOS versions to look out for.

Prices are higher for these though, so I might hold off a bit for price drops which typically happen with Ryzen CPUs.
  • Some good numbers. Not sure what to go for in the impending upgrade. Numbers look pretty good on the 5600x, but does it make more sense to go for a higher spec for the long-term?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Louiecat
    Show networks
    Xbox
    louiecat
    Steam
    louiecat

Send message
    I’m thinking 5900x. Still around £420 which is amazing. Instead of the i910900k at another100 squid.
    rest less
  • Yeah, 2 more cores, probably uses much less power (so generates less heat), and with an X570 motherboard you get access to PCIE 4.0 which can be useful for getting the most performance with 4.0 SSDs, and perhaps GPUs in some cases. It's always worth waiting until proper reviews come out for a really accurate picture of just how the performance is, but it looks like they've made some smart architectural changes this time around to improve performance and latency, and the IPC and clock speeds are improved once again over 3rd gen.
  • Howdy experts (Gurt),
    Any idea on when would be the opportune moment to buy a good budget gpu? 
    I keep hearing that the 1660 super is great. I want to pounce when the price is low as possible!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Well black friday sales will be coming up soon, so it will probably be worth keeping an eye on those. Usually GPU prices drop just before newer cards come out too, the 3070 is next I think but there will be a 3060, and the lower tier cards will follow after I guess but I don't know when exactly. If the price/performance of the latest cards is found to be that much better than the old stuff then prices can drop a fair bit too, so after the launch of new stuff can be a good time to try and grab a bargain, used cards will be plentiful too. A newer card may be a better purchase though depending on your budget and performance needs.

You can use PCPartpicker for an aggregated look at GPU prices - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#sort=price&c=450 
    Click on individual cards to see a price history graph which is very useful for checking price trends.

If you spot something and aren't sure if it's a good deal just ask here and we can take a look.
  • cheers!!
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!