Elmlea's Thread of Not Drinking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dainton's Lemon Cut was another little cracker - a blend of rum and sharp lemon juice - again not that strong (it ended up being mixed with vodka if memory serves) but a really nice taste - hard to track down now.

There was a pretty vile run of Smirnoff Silver label on the go in Belfast at one time - it got a rather lengthy innings too. Belfast Gin had an orange tint to it that was nice - so much so that tonic wasn't really needed - but it died out rather quickly unfortunately.....

Think the vilest drink (ignoring stuff like idiotic attempts at local copies of Southern Comfort in somewhere like Ayia Napia circa 1992) I ever had was Green Chartreuse (or Green Short Trousers as my fellow pissants called it) - a real eye waterer - and its 55% abv was a novelty when absinthe was hard to come by.

greenchartreuse.jpg

Speaking of Ayia Napia - when I was there in '92-3 a bottle of Ouzo was cheaper than bottled water. A dodgy bottle of "Royal Ascot" gin was £1.30 (local currency) while a bottle of Fanta Bitter Lemon was £1.50......It made for perfect cheap pre-going out swigging.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bottle of beer in a bar here is cheaper than a coke.
  • Kow wrote:
    Bottle of beer in a bar here is cheaper than a coke.
    Its getting that way here in some places
  • Also, bars make massively more profit on sales of draught coke and suchlike than anything alcoholic that they sell, afaik.  A large draught coke costs a bar a few pence to produce and they usually sell it at 50-100 times that price.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    If it's not in a bottle I'm not drinking it. Apart from guinness.
  • You miss out on some superb cask ales then.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fuck ale, wouldn't drink it if you paid me.
  • What if it was a lot of money for not very much ale?
  • It's alright.  Pay me and I'll drink it for you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    What if it was a lot of money for not very much ale?

No, my anti-ale principles are not for sale. Anyway, Igor doesn't have any money.
  • You sound bitter.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I need some happy pils.
  • Then you'd be lager than life.
  • davyK wrote:
    Might be worth tracking down a nice Calvados (apple brandy) for a change or a bottle of this stuff - poire williams which I bought once. Was nice to drink but I didn't have the skill to break the bottle cleanly in order to facilitate safe consumption of the pear which must be lush.

poire-williams.gif

That would look superb in the cabinet. I remember seeing it in The Whisky Exchange near London Bridge, I think I'll pop down there at lunch. Cheers.
  • Im still keeping up the no drinking, despite going to the pub for dinner last night.

Tonight will be a tough one, had a shitty day at work and will likely be here for another couple of hours. It's going to be really tempting to not nip into the shop for a few cheeky beers on my way home.
  • Im still keeping up the no drinking, despite going to the pub for dinner last night.

Tonight will be a tough one, had a shitty day at work and will likely be here for another couple of hours. It's going to be really tempting to not nip into the shop for a few cheeky beers on my way home.

Well done mate - keep it up.

As for this evening, grab yourself a soft drink that you really love instead. I know it's not the same but that's what I do when I fancy a beer. I've got a soft spot for Ribena so that's my wine - I even drink it in a wine glass with dinner (yes I know that sounds absoutely ridiculous but it works for me).

Or if you DO have a drink - just have 2 beers at the most. But I find that difficult and always want more once I have cracked one open, that's why my 8 cans of Tyskie are still sitting in the fridge, unopened.

Good luck with it all.
  • Yeah, thats exactly it, once 2 are downed inhibitions start to slip and I will finish the lot. Plus its a bit too early to slip yet.

Good advice about the soft drinks, I have been buying decent fruit juice and using that as a beer sub recently. Its quite nice to be able to buy super fancy juice and still be saving money.

cheers man
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    As for this evening, grab yourself a soft drink that you really love instead. I know it's not the same but that's what I do when I fancy a beer.

I've been doing the same recently (had one night of drinking this week, another night off tonight, which for me, thats a big fucking step), so I rock a couple of glasses of Cherry Coke.
  • Plan M wrote:
    As for this evening, grab yourself a soft drink that you really love instead. I know it's not the same but that's what I do when I fancy a beer.

I've been doing the same recently (had one night of drinking this week, another night off tonight, which for me, thats a big fucking step), so I rock a couple of glasses of Cherry Coke.

Good man! And Cherry Coke does indeed rock, love that stuff.
  • I haven't drunk for a long time now, barring the odd sip of anything new to see what the fuss is about.  I've reached the point I started at in childhood, where it all tastes pretty foul.  Not drinking definitely gets easier, partly because the desire for it eases, but mostly because it ceases to be a big part of life - your friends get used to it and you no longer get interrogated as to why you don't drink. 

I do however abuse IrnBru to a ridiculous extent.  (Caffeine, sugar, iron and quinine, what more could you want?)

As for the argument about recommended alcohol levels.  They're currently being reviewed in the UK (as they have been intermittently) but I doubt they'll change much.  They deliberately lean towards the relatively low risk level, for the simple reason (as stated) that everyone's a bit different, and guidelines can't be tailored to the individual.  So you go for the level that's unlikely to kill anyone. 

The main arguments about recommended consumption are about daily drinking, and whether to tailor guidance to certain groups.  The daily drinking thing is straightforwards really - the current guidance is for x amount per day, but actually, it's daily drinking that particularly increases the risk of cirrhosis and alcoholism.  So it may well go back to a weekly recommendation, with a statement that you should have at least 2 alcohol free days a week.  (A bit like the current 48 hour break after a binge session.)

The certain groups thing is about the risks and benefits of alcohol changing with age.  So in blokes over 40, and post-menopausal women there's a bit of evidence to suggest that a small amount of alcohol might reduce the risk of heart disease compared to non-drinkers.  Whilst in the elderly, the evidence is that the recommended levels of alcohol should be much lower, as the potential for harm is greater.  Just to make it even more complicated, in 16-24 year olds alcohol is the number one cause of death - but through binge drinking (resulting in violence, accidents, suicide).  Which potentially calls for a different bit of guidance again.

Given that Government Guidance tends to err on the side of really simplistic however, I don't think much will change at all...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I had a drinking night last night, and on my non drinking nights I drink Carlsberg. It's almost non alcohol so it doesn't count. However the Cherry Coke shuot is full of win, just wish more pubs stcoked it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Cherry Coke and Doctor Pepper.  Divine.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @Cocko: How much Carlsberg did you have exactly?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • One 660ml Moretti and two Koppaberg Elderflower and Limes last night.

I'm trying to do this thread.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back in the day drinking was probably a bit easier to hit on the head - the choice in the market now is breathtaking - it is hard to not try something new. However the range of soft drinks is great too. Love soft drinks too - too much probably.

Ice Cold Dr Pepper is rather nice - and that dark grape juice with that almost wine/tanin taste - Welch's is it? lovely.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Dr Pepper is one of the foulest things I've ever tasted. I'm not even sure what it's supposed to be. It might even be pepper flavour.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Soft drink makes me wince, can't hack it.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!