Elmlea's Thread of Not Drinking
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I wish someone would explain Jagermeister's popularity. Horrible shit.

The whole Jager-bomb thing is just one of those trend things, they are nice enough but I rarely join in when mates are getting rounds of them in. Normally results in me being called a pussy etc, which is fine, I have drunk some mental stuff in some dumb ways in my time, watering down shots with energy drink I can do without.

Like most of you guys on here I now prefer a higher grade of drinking. Or did 'til yesterday.
  • Jager bombs are crap - they just make me feel wired afterwards, as most caffeine based drinks do.

Give me a few sambucas any day - love that stuff.
  • Jagermeister? That's Covonia and RedBull isn't it?

grot

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Plan M wrote:
    Jager bombs are crap - they just make me feel wired afterwards, as most caffeine based drinks do. Give me a few sambucas any day - love that stuff.

I hate almost any shots.  Goldschlager (sp?) is the worst.  I think I might be allergic to that as both times I drank it it was back up within minutes.
  • I remember the Vodka and Red bull excitement that went round for a while.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Don't know how anybody could stomach that Red bull shit. Tastes like chewing gum.
  • I remember the Vodka and Red bull excitement that went round for a while.
    Yeah, I remember doing a few of those somehwere around the dawn of the millenium. Pointless shite in retrospect.
  • What's the new thing then? Surely it must end with 'bomb' or 'blast' or 'cram'.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • In my house its hot chocolate with marshmallow bombs.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Spock wrote:
    What's the new thing then? Surely it must end with 'bomb' or 'blast' or 'cram'.
    Agwa bomb.

agwa_bomb.jpg
    Can't remember what they taste like so they mustn't be too offensive.
  • In my house its hot chocolate with marshmallow bombs.

Yummy. I need one of those tonight now.
  • I hope that bitch has been cast out by all who know her. Disgusting.
  • Oh yeah I really like Hoegaarden.

I remember once at a school social drinking about 14 JD & cokes, but then I was 21 stone at the time. Still, my vision became like rather fishbowly and I remember singing the softball song from the Simpson's all the walk home
  • Who's this Space guy?  Have we got our first troll?  He seems to be deliberately contrary just to try and start arguments.

In other news, I've not had anything to drink since Friday, which is actually relatively rare considering I'm still off work.  I'd quite like to be at Plan M's stage where I can stick 8 cans of Nice Beer X in the fridge, and actually make it last a fortnight rather than a night.  Thing is, the habitual draw is so strong, I'm pretty certain that if I bought 8 beers now I'd drink at least 5 through the day today.

I remember at times being so caught up in it that I'd drink 4 out of 6 while sitting at home relaxing.  Then the next day, I'd realise I only had 2, so would buy another 6 so that I could have 4 that night too and so on.

We have a lovely bottle of wine in the fridge that was a gift from my wife on fathers' day, so I wonder if we could have a glass each of that with dinner and just shove it away again afterwards.  We might try that tonight.
  • Good to see you are sticking to your plan mate.
  • I'm sure space is not a troll. He's drunk.

50 units is a hell of a lot.
  • Good luck with it all Elmlea - keep us posted on your progress and remember, it gets easier the longer you stick to it.
  • I'm going to hop in on the no drinking side of things, as in I've never done it. 

Well once I sipped my aunts Heineken and I've tried communion wine twice but that's been the sum total of alcohol in my life.
    Not entirely sure why, I wasn't bothered before I was 18 and when that came around everyone else had already got a head start so I decided not to follow. There's a bit of alcoholism in the family, also had a bit of a temper as a kid that I managed to bottle. Probably a combo of everything.

Anyway Elm, I have no idea what its like to cut it out but being alcohol free is fine. Nightclubs just become despairing places of zero joy
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • Well done for recognising it and oing something about it, Elm.  By the look of things you're at the early stages of a potentially more serious problem, so it's good that you're getting on top of it.  There are a few other worrying trends in his thread, tbh.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The drinking for no reason other than it being there is what does my head in. Like Elm, I can't see a time when beer in the fridge wouldn't be in my belly. I stuck four cases of lager in the fridge at Christmas, gone by New Year. Wtf
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I used to be exactly the same. Drinking as soon as I got in from work just became the norm and if there was booze in the fridge, I'd polish it off. I was terrible for having 'just one more can or glass of wine' and before I knew it I had consumed 2 and a half bottles of 14% proof wine. To myself. On a Tuesday evening.

I do miss having a drink in the week but I can't stop at just one so I generally don't bother these days unless there's a big footy match on or I am celebrating something.
  • 20/20, Fruits Unlimited, Diamond White, K, Blastaway (TNT cider and Castaway), it's amazing what you'll drink growing up. We would basically drink whatever was doing the rounds, all gratefully received from the big brothers of others.

Jagers do seem to be this decade's RB and vodka, give me an Islay malt and water to sip everytime.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • eGACG.jpg?1
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • After collecting/drinking whisky for a good two years, I've recently moved on to brandy after purchasing a snifter warmer from Amazon.  I've started the ball rolling with a Torres 30 Jaime and a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza (the latter of which is one of the nicest liquids I've ever tasted), in addition to my existing bottle of Remy Martin Champagne Cognac, but can anyone recommend any other decent brandy/cognac that has particularly tickled your tastebuds?  I'm looking for one or two more bottles for the cabinet.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Jagers do seem to be this decade's RB and vodka,

The cross hasn't has this much marketing since...um, the Crusades.
  • Having beer in the house is like having junk food around. If its there I'll have something, but if it's not then I'm not worried. Therefore I don't tend to have beer in, more because of not wanting to gain weight rather than drinking it all. If its there I'd have a beer with dinner, and maybe another afterwords.

On a night out I don't get too drunk these days. I like being a bit buzzed, but I don't like not being in control, or saying/doing something to regret.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Only went on the Red Bull once - an ill advised session with mates I hadn't seen in a while back from that London - TVRs (Tequila - Vodka - Red Bull combo) were the chosen tipple - me being me I just went along with it.

Was actually very pleasantly drunk but the next day was vile. Never again.

I actually find that an evening on whiskey and water leaves me feeling OK - feeling better than being on the Guinness in fact.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    After collecting/drinking whisky for a good two years, I've recently moved on to brandy after purchasing a snifter warmer from Amazon.  I've started the ball rolling with a Torres 30 Jaime and a bottle of Cardenal Mendoza (the latter of which is one of the nicest liquids I've ever tasted), in addition to my existing bottle of Remy Martin Champagne Cognac, but can anyone recommend any other decent brandy/cognac that has particularly tickled your tastebuds?  I'm looking for one or two more bottles for the cabinet.

Might be worth tracking down a nice Calvados (apple brandy) for a change or a bottle of this stuff - poire williams which I bought once. Was nice to drink but I didn't have the skill to break the bottle cleanly in order to facilitate safe consumption of the pear which must be lush.

poire-williams.gif

• RB and vodka gave me almost LSD like dreams. My brain was pissed and awake at the same time.
    Its something you do only once
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    God this thread is bringing back memories - another one from my cabinet that had something in the bottle - Cristallizzati Tangerine - not that strong but there was crystallisation on the fake branch in the bottle - vague memories of eating the rock candy like substance after the finishing the bottle.

Pics are hard to find - this is a miniature bottle of the stuff..

cristallizzato.jpg

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!