Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Elmlea wrote:
    I drink far, far, far too much. I may join Elm on this crusade.
    Do it!  Actually, it was some of your posts that made me think about this a bit more.  Not that you're often obviously posting with a hangover, or complaining about it or anything;  but when I spotted in the "what was the last thing you bought thread" that you were probably buying beer/cider about as regularly as I did back home it made me think about it.

It shall be done, August 1st for at least a month, as I say, got a big session I've been looking forward to for a while before that, cannae be no lightweight.

Oh, and bottle of Jim Beam on July 23rd as well oh yesh.
  • JonB wrote:
    Where I am now it's pretty much Efes or nothing, and fortunately it's just right for my tastes.

I had a bottle of Efes Dark in Turkey last year which was lovely - quite chocolatey
    Sparky wrote:
    Looking forward to ModStock where I'm going to buy Gremill a nice cold pint of Stella.

I'm not saying I won't drink it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Surprisingly for all, I'm not a habitual one. Very sober through the week and only beer at the weekend. Mrs Reg cut me right down too. I'm amazed a lot of people have one naturally with their dinner.
  • Gremill wrote:
    JonB wrote:
    Where I am now it's pretty much Efes or nothing, and fortunately it's just right for my tastes.
    I had a bottle of Efes Dark in Turkey last year which was lovely - quite chocolatey.
    That's the stronger version I take it. Not tried it yet but might give it a go then.
  • I still have the odd drink now and then, though only the nice stuff.  I found the best alternative way of unwinding of an evening is either to walk the dogs (if it's nice out) or go swimming.  In fact, swimming is like a magical elixir to me these days, which relieves many ills in my life.
  • I've never felt the unwinding thing, only having a couple of drinks does put me to sleep, but it's not a good sleep.
  • Elm, this has become the alcohol thread which is grrreat!! But I Think you should create an " On the wagon/Off the wagon" thread for those of us on again/ off again lushes/ lushi?
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • I'm not really one for drinking to be honest.
    Tried to get into it when I was at school with my mates but even then quickly discovered I don't like the feeling of being sick and then hungover the next day.
    Then I started seriously knuckling down with my karate, the adults in my club started inviting the 17 year old me along to all their extra training sessions on Saturday and Sunday mornings, so I would find at I didn't want to go out drinking with my mates on weekends as it would impact my ability to keep up with the bigger, scarier guys. 
    This soon became habit and my drinking was saved for the odd social occasion maybe once every month or so.

So when I do drink, i become a real lightweight. I get very drunk, very fast and I seem to love everyone. I've never been an aggressive drunk or a somber chap, I just wanna dance and hug everyone. 

The last time I got drunk was in Vegas with Elm and Frosty, the next time will be at Bearstock with you  guys.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    In my twenties I was a force of nature when it came to drinking - copious amounts of Guinness accompanied by whatever spirit took my fancy. Three or four nights a week was normal. It got to the point where I would put a bottle of vodka away myself before going out and I was able to get by bouncers with barely a twitch from their eyes. Neither big nor clever. I hit the vodka on the head and started to vary my spirits.

Thing is - it was always social - even the bottle of vodka before going out was in company at a friend's house. Never drank alone - it was the combo of company and alcohol I liked - and I never drank when in a bad mood.Money was a means to going out - I decided to wise up a bit mid-20s - buying a house curtailed the amount I drank a bit.

Marriage and kids came along in my early 30's. The kids really did it - totally went off it for a few years and while I missed it at first (and I mean missed the drink AND getting out) I quickly got to the point where it didn't matter any more. It was amazing waking up on a Saturday with a totally clear head.

My powers of consumption are not what they were of course - being 40-odd will do that - and a bender will take some time to recover from - but I can still do a round of Pub Golf at Christmas without making a tit of myself. However I am on a wind down - there have been a few occasions over the last 5 years when I thought I was still 25 and let it get the better of me (Havana Club rum I think it was) - but its been a couple of years since I have been truly drunk.

It's a few sociable ones once a week normally - and the occasional 2nd night in a week every couple of months. I'm genuinely not fussed about it anymore - in actual fact my wife has to push me out the door on occasions. Think I've been very lucky to be honest - like Churchill I have probably taken more out of drink than it has taken out of me.

Wine is OK but I love spirits - I have huge amounts of drink in the house - almost a collector in fact - but rarely would drink in the house unless there's a party on. Like to mix a few cocktails when company is in and and can't resist a cocktail book. Beer still equals Guinness for me and when going to somewhere like Donegal I will over indulge because it is so fecking nice in Nancy's Bar in Ardara.....

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'm actually the opposite, I'm making a conscious effort to drink more. I rarely touch booze at all, but it's a social lube and I may as well. I used to care about grrr men beer rarr, but now I just drink what I like. Current favourites are large rum and ginger beers with lime and white Russians. I did have a thing for cocktails last summer as anyone from the forum who's seen me on Uno cam will vouch for :0S
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Christ. I love the ale. Irish, catholic, vulcan you see. I drink waaaay too much. Hmmm.
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I have an unhealthy relationship with alcohol. Last few months been swapping the cider for bottled cheap lager. Carlsberg, the alcoholics Kaliber. We're lucky in this town that there are plenty of proper ale houses carrying beers from all over. Though I genuinely prefer the taste of stronger beers, more depth so I have to take it easy

Like Elm I find it strange to be out without a drink. However as someone I trust once said "I hardly need the social lubricant, so why bother" I can identify with that but it still seems a step. My friends have commented on whether I'm ok when very sober, so I guess it is affecting me. I know what I think I'd like, but not sure I'll get there
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I drink a lot. Not as much as I did, but it's still more than most. I love alcohol. Despite having a new(ish) son, and a partner who's still in and out of hospital, I make the time for wine and beer. 

It can be done you know. 

It might be taken alone when they're in bed, it is certainly taken when they're staying at her Mum's. I currently drink about 50 units a week. I'm a devoted Dad and partner, and I honestly believe you can combine them with being a devoted drinker. Quite often I'm caring for them both at the same time. 

The only concern from the missus is the possible effect on my longevity. It's a fair and uncertain point, but I eat real well, I'm 40 but look 30, I'm a good weight and have silly amounts of energy. Eat well and drink say I. Just make sure you eat well. 

Government guidelines are stupidly ignorant of an individual's overall habits and as a result do more harm then good. 

21/14 units per week? Where the fuck do they get that from? It's pseudo science and it's fucking bollocks. No wonder people ignore it.
  • On reflection (and after a Google search), it's not even based on pseudo science. Not even the internets have bothered to back this argument up with a crazy factoid.
  • I've just realised that people are about 4000 times more likely to believe in astrology than they are in the recommended unit recommendations, which is both uplifting and 4000 times as depressing at the same time.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Whatever you need to justify your filthy habit... lol
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Bludgeoning astrologists to death is not a filthy habit.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't think it's technically illegal either.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    I don't think it's technically illegal either.

Surely they should see it coming and therefore avoid the beating?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Then their prediction would have been wrong and they'd have to give up. Better to take the beating, Shirley.
  • Day one down under my new rules.

It involved a trip to Tesco in which I bought zero booze, a toughy as Tesco has a pretty good, cheap selection.

I did end up drinking a whole big bottle of Innocent Orange juice instead.

Baby steps.
  • Tropicana do a very nice range of mixed juices. Their Ruby Breakfast is delicious, as is the red grape juice. Grapes are underrated in their non-alcoholic form.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • I was out for 3 hours last night and only had two third measures of beer. Granted they were Brewdog Stouts and one was 10.4% proof and the other 15.4% but again, quality over quantity, and I didn't drink anything with my meal or after.
  • I got your meal right here.
  • Funny, that's what the staff at the pub said last night.
  • Stop denigrating my job.
  • Stop denigrating my EYES with your hack WORDS
  • I got your meal right here.
  • Don't put that up your nose. The ketchup doesn't go there sir.
  • I've got my meal right here and you've no business telling me how to eat it you boob. Scurry off.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!