Elmlea's Thread of Not Drinking
  • Brooks wrote:
    My rule is now "only if it's expensive". Not that this'd especially interrupt me were I a raging addict, but. Basically, spirits are too interesting to dodge entirely.

Does that mean you would consider petrol?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The Brooks rule is a good rule.  Why sour-face your way through bottled dishwater when there are so many choice drops, crafted by dedicated artisans and journeymen, to savour?  Reward their labour and expertise.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Brooks wrote:
    My rule is now "only if it's expensive". Not that this'd especially interrupt me were I a raging addict, but. Basically, spirits are too interesting to dodge entirely.
    Does that mean you would consider petrol?

I do like the smell of petrol, but that's my limit for the time being.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Drinking is for mugs.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Mugs are for drinking
    that was the point wasn't it
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yes thanks
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Mentioned before but I had many a year of absolutely having to have at least one beer a night, usually two or three.

Usually just mid-strength lager and thankfully never graduated to spirits.

Apart from the fact it destroys your waistline I eventually stopped when my gastritis type stomach meant boozing every day was low level pain and a night out was agonising for days which became weeks.

I wouldn't have stopped if it wasn't for the pavlovian type recoil in fear the thought of having a drink does to me.

On the plus side, no daily boozing means touch-wood nights/days/weekends out boozing haven't resulted in the weeks of paying the price.
  • I can take it or leave it tbh.  When I was younger I was usually out drunk at least once a week.  These days I tend to drink a handful of times a year.  I was at a stag do in March which has been the only time this year I've been drinking.

I don't go out of my way and decide that I won't drink, I just don't feel the need.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I drink far, far, far too much.

I may join Elm on this crusade.
  • Im in a like for like situation as Elm with my own drinking. Most nights I will have a few to unwinde but really I dont need them, its a boredom thing.
    It effects my eating habits too, I generally eat OK until Im pissed/hungover then Im eating crap and nibbling on crisps etc.

So this is Day one.
    My rules are as follows.

1. No drinking if others aren't.
    2. No mid-week drinking (I work mon-fri 9-5 so weekends can still be play time).
    3. No heavy drinking (more than 8 units) unless its an 'event'.
    4. No cheap lagers/Ciders/Wine.

I have quite a few things coming up where I know I will want to drink, birthdays, Creamfields etc. I will keep these open and hopefully enjoy the drink more rather than it being a default.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    May as well put it out there:

I drink to excess at least four nights a week (talking three cans + maybe a bottle of cider), and I can feel the dependency beginning to kick in. I have medication, which makes me feel amazing, helps me sleep (a constant worry), and the such, but I often ignore it for the drink. Got to the point where I feel shit everyday due to it, so I believe a dry patch is a go.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Stop now DS, liek srs.  Replace it, don't just leave an empty space.  Rollerblading?
  • Real life Trials?

I'd love that. Probably wouldnt be quite so willing to tap B as much though.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Real life Trials? I'd love that. Probably wouldnt be quite so willing to tap B as much though.

Arthritis, my knees are fucked so easily.

I'll get back on the meds and replace it with writing.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I've barely touched a drop for about 10 months, stopped 2 months before baby was due. In fact, the times I have had a drink are Christmas Day, a stag weekend and a wedding I attended. 

I never used to drink in the week at all anyway, and was more into my single malts for pleasure at weekends than getting wasted. I do miss occasional drunken Xbox nights though. 

Need to get beer fit for Modstock, otherwise I'll be asleep by 3.
  • Autobiography?

'Tapping B' by DS
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • A lot of people I work with have a drink when they get home from a late shift.  I've never understood it. I've never tasted a beer that tastes nicer than a soft drink, and if you're just having one then going to bed, well, it's either going to have no effect at all or a minuscule effect once you're asleep.

One of my ex-girlfriends and I got into wine drinking.  It started off as our Friday night routine; a bottle of red, some sweet Thai chili Sensations and a box of Maltesers.  Then it became our Friday and Saturday routine, then I started shift work and it would be the routine for any night that was a Friday or Saturday for one of the two of us.  Once we split up I carried on my membership of wine clubs, and to this day I have a massive wine rack full of wine in my house.  Can't remember the last time I sat and drank one.

Anyways, I've gone through spells of not drinking at all on nights out.  You have to pick your replacement very carefully, because a night full of carbonated soft drinks will still give you a headache the following morning.
  • Over the last few months my drinking got a lot worse. Realised I was sinking into using it as a crutch, so I'm stopping altogether at the moment. With a history of alcoholism in my family it's an easy habit to sink into, and it's important to recognise the signs before it goes too far.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I may as well muck in.  I started drinking at around 12 or 13 and did it semi regularly until about 17 or 18, at which point I started getting carried away, taking two bottles of vodka to parties for starters and other such nonsense.  Wrote myself off many times.  Carried through to just before 20 when we'd get together at this chap's house every weekend (was doing a course at that point and we all became friendly pretty much instantly) and get shitfaced.  One weekend was the end of it for me.  I got utterly blind (never to the point of blacking out interestingly) and was subsequently quite ill for a few days.  Not being a fan of repeatedly vomiting air, being unable to leave my bed or see from the splitting headache I had, I decided it simply wasn't worth it.  I may have slightly shat myself in my sleep one night too.

So, I barely touch the stuff and if I do, it's a tasty boutique beer or similar.  I feel no real need or motivation to drink, which is nice.  Cheap too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    three1ne wrote:
    Autobiography? 'Tapping B' by DS

More 'Hold Right Trigger Down Like a Mentalist'
  • I drink on a Friday and/or Saturday, never more than 6 beers or a bottle of wine, maybe a few malts if I'm on the beer.

My rules are always drink quality products, avoid bad-tasting fizzy pish like Stella and only drink something if I genuinely like the taste of it.

I think my Friday night, end of working week drink is a habit - but its one that I enjoy and it never gets in the way of anything else I need to do that weekend. I generally need to drink a LOT to get a hangover and with 2 kids to look after its not worth it.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • I resolved a few weeks back to detox for a month and not drink any alcohol in that time. I lasted two days before I, um, forgot, and had a few bottles of soju over dinner with some Korean friends.

I certainly don't drink much though, so I don't feel any real need or urgency to cut back. I drink once a week typically, usually just knocking back a few beers and a few bottles of soju with friends/co-workers on a Friday. I find a few drinks helps me tremendously in social situations, particularly around people I don't know (I'm very shy) but after a few I do start spouting a bit too much nonsense. And repeating myself. I very rarely drink in the week, and when I do it's usually just a couple of shots with dinner when I'm with my Taekwondo instructors.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I just bought some cider!

YEAH!
  • My rules are as follows. 1. No drinking if others aren't. 2. No mid-week drinking (I work mon-fri 9-5 so weekends can still be play time). 3. No heavy drinking (more than 8 units) unless its an 'event'. 4. No cheap lagers/Ciders/Wine.

I never drink on my own anymore as I found that I got incredibly depressed once beyond the initial buzz, REALLY depressed. Social drinking has also been cut after one too many hangovers and extremely empty wallets.

I like live and Brook's rules. Nothing cheap especially. Make it an event/experience rather than a routine.
  • Wine is my biggest vice...   in a similar situation to a few other here.  Get in from work automatically have a glass of wine.  Before you know it the bottle is gone and i'm snacking away.  Almost like a habit to be honest.  Since takingup a new fitness regime have curtailed it somewhat but found the easiest way to avoid it is to not buy any.  Got a bit scared at one point when particularly stressed with work found my self easily getting through two bottles without any issue.  Scary stuff,  actually found it very difficult to stop.   Now I try and avoid drink altogether.  Thinking about it I was verging on alcoholism, which isn't a good place to be.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Over the last few months my drinking got a lot worse. Realised I was sinking into using it as a crutch, so I'm stopping altogether at the moment. With a history of alcoholism in my family it's an easy habit to sink into, and it's important to recognise the signs before it goes too far.

I never thought about the history, family wise. My Uncle was, and still is a full blown alcoholic, and one look at what a cunt he was, what hes done to the family and himself, well, its enough to cause anyone to get off alcohol altogether.

I did once see myself near dependent on it (night times only though, never got to the point where I need it just to function) and cut it out for six months, which led to meeting the most beautiful woman I've ever met, and losing a ton of weight. I have a feeling come August I'll be off it completely again.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I just bought some cider! YEAH!
    Good start.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    I just bought some cider! YEAH!
    Good start.

Haha, I know, but I've got a full on week coming up in about 3 weeks in which I know i'll drink like a mentalist, along with the weed and such, so I see August as the beginning point.
  • It's a slippery slope. A few cans then a bottle of wine.

Damn pauillac at £25 a pop, makes for an expensive booze bill if done a few times a week.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah but you're loaded

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!