Elmlea's Thread of Not Drinking
  • I've been avoiding alcohol pretty much my entire adult life, as I can easily become addicted to things. But I can see now how it's beneficial. I've been drinking a 300ml bottle of Budweiser whilst watching the football and it is relaxing and I know it's not doing me any damage. It's probably beneficial. Glass of wine a day and all that.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I don't think there's any alcohol (or flavour) in Budweiser so you're safe.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Oh, there's flavour.  It's like someone soaked a jay cloth, let it go sour, wrung it out and passed it through a Soda-Stream.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Carling is the worst for me, tastes and smells like a tramps piss that's been run through a corpse. Although if its free, or someone else is buying, gimme gimme.
  • Can't remember the last time I touched stuff like Carlsberg, Carling, Fosters etc...

+1 for booze snobbery.
  • Well, in terms of hates, Foster's tastes so soapy I find it undrinkable. I prefer Bud to Stella.
  • A pint of anything is too much I find.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I dont mind Fosters, nor Carlsberg.

Fucking love me Export/Oranjeboom though.
  • Few decent microbreweries around here so they get my dorra if ale is the way.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    A pint of anything is too much I find.

lol ur a girl m8 ya cant keep up lol BANTER GRRR FOOTBALL HAHA TITS!
  • I'd have a pint of tits
  • ...a tramps piss that's been run through a corpse...
    That was one helluva day.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Leffe yum

Careful, I started on Leffe before developing a taste for all sorts of ridiculous Belgian goodness.

The Belgians tend to regard Leffe with the same disdain any right minded person has for Carling here.
  • Point me towards your filthy Belgium ales
  • The missus and I have cut out Monday to Thursday for dietary reasons, and the difference is amaze. With a restricted calorie intake, I am half a stone gone and counting. I've cut down from a half bottle of red and a subsequent half bottle of vodka every Friday and Saturday with a conciliatory Sunday bottle of red, to a bottle and a half of red every Friday and Saturday plus the Sunday red. I admit it doesn't sound like a massive come down, but it feels like one, especially as it wasn't top vodka.

Does four bottles of red over three days with a four day no drink detox sound acceptable?
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • My favourite Belgian: brewed three times I believe, thus the name. Tastes like heaven, and the foam adds another dimension.
    Bosteels_Tripel_Karmeliet.jpg
  • I'm gonna give this non drinking a go. I'm still hungover from saturday night and the 2 or 3 beers about 3-4 times a week has given me a wee pot belly. Sexy.

Wish me luck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've cut down from about 20 cans in a night to 2 or 3 bottles of Chimay or something similar. I do have nights off though when I go a bit mental.
  • Stubbies don't count as a full can, bub.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • 10.4% Brewdog Stout right now, YUM.
  • Kow wrote:
    I've cut down from about 20 cans in a night to 2 or 3 bottles of Chimay or something similar. I do have nights off though when I go a bit mental.

Mmm, Chimay, was drinking the Triple the other night, gorgeous stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Does four bottles of red over three days with a four day no drink detox sound acceptable?
    I fucking well hope so. 

Loving the snobbery going on in here. I can't drink Fosters, it's vile, other than that I'm ok. I'll try anything once, which isn't the best policy for remaining hangover free but you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Looking forward to ModStock where I'm going to buy Gremill a nice cold pint of Stella.
  • Couldn't go anywhere social without having a drink. In fact she would be an absolute bitch if we went somewhere and she wasn't allowed a drink, because she considered it being social and said because I didn't mind, I should have the decency to be the designated driver. when we went to her parents her mother was just as bad.   And she was a moody, aggressive shit when she had too many - which was usually after 3 glasses.  was it alcoholism? Dunno, but it wasn't normal.

That actually sounds remarkably like me in some ways.  I find it relatively unusual; not hard, not too difficult, but just "wrong;" to go out for a nice dinner and not have a beer or glass of wine with it.  And I'm not talking about even beautifully matching the perfect wine to a course, I mean just having something alcoholic.  I could easily not do it, it just seems like the incorrect choice, which is an odd feeling.

Likewise, I find myself very frequently saying to my wife "do you mind driving back if I have a beer?" whenever we end up eating out.  She barely drinks so it's not strictly a problem, it's just the assumption that it's alright isn't right.  

The moody, aggressive bit however seems to disappointingly match me once I've had too many, and it's that in particular I'd like to cut out.
  • I would routinely drink a beer or glass or two of wine most evenings until I realised that I felt so much better if I didn't. It's a very easy habit to slip into, especially if you have a stressful life, but I'm not sure it's really all that helpful, even in moderation, if it becomes something of a crutch.

Yeah, I do that.  I'm not sure if it's specifically a crutch or anything, but it is a nice way to destress.  I'd like to find an alternative, because it's certainly become way too habitual.  I ended up having a beer to relax after work at after work time, even if I hadn't been to work, if you see what I mean.
  • I drink far, far, far too much. I may join Elm on this crusade.

Do it!  Actually, it was some of your posts that made me think about this a bit more.  Not that you're often obviously posting with a hangover, or complaining about it or anything;  but when I spotted in the "what was the last thing you bought thread" that you were probably buying beer/cider about as regularly as I did back home it made me think about it.
  • Kow wrote:
    I've cut down from about 20 cans in a night

Yipes.
  • I'm surprised how many people have popped out to say that habitual drinking had become a thing for them.  Glad I'm not entirely alone.  I'm not sure what to replace it with, although I have just gone for a nice early morning jog which I couldn't have done if I had 4 bottles of Sapporo last night rather than throwing it away.  If I can replace it with exercise I'll be doing pretty well...!  The fact I haven't been able to exercise properly since my shoulder op last summer means I really need to crack back into it.

I can tell it's certainly time to do something, as my other half initially didn't believe I had chucked the Sapporo away and assumed I had just drunk it and chucked the bottles away.
  • I've never really been that bothered about super quality beers - cold and fizzy is good, although I draw the line at stuff like Foster's and Carling. Generally drink bottles nowadays, and would go for something like San Miguel in the UK. Where I am now it's pretty much Efes or nothing, and fortunately it's just right for my tastes.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!