Final Fantasy - General
  • I'd play XII again, but it'd need to be PC or Switch now
  • JonB wrote:
    Syph79 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for XV to be fixed before I go back in.
    Fixed? They need to finish it first.

Still can't believe they had the nerve to release that, even if it did sort of work.

I should think I'll get to XII at some point. As I said somewhere, I haven't played it before and always thought it sounded good.

What are you waiting for? XV is amazing!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I'm waiting for XII. I've played through XV. It was decent, despite being a total mess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Grabbed the XV ost yesterday. Four discs. Each one has a boy on it
  • Currently playing XV. It swings between some great highs and some terrible, terrible lows with alarming regularity.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Currently playing XV. It swings between some great highs and some terrible, terrible lows with alarming regularity.

It is just the hottest mess.

*2 thumbs up*
  • Looking back, I'm not sure the highs were that high after all. I'm just easily impressed by a decent open world to explore.
  • Playing it after a long slog in Breath of the Wild is just the worst because everything is so god damn clunky and unresponsive.

I did hunted Deadeye last night, and the bit where you're following him in the mist makes the choice of graphical style 100% worth it. Then at the end he stops moving, cycles through some animations, and then disappears... could they not just have animated him jumping to the next area?!

The Imperial base after was ok, if symptomatic of the game's main problem: it's huge and almost entirely barren of interesting things. Then I used Ramuh and it was un-fucking-believable. Until the destruction faded and everything was pristine again. Those few seconds after Judgement Bolt were spinetingling though, a real nod towards how ludicrous summons have been in the past.

Just... man. A few more years would have made this a great game. Why they didn't introduce an option to button mash during combat I'll never know, I generally just muddle through because I have no idea what I am doing most of the time, and reading enemy animations is almost impossible.

As for the story... fuck me. Some guy turns up last night and starts pontificating about stuff, and he's got a metal arm or something. Turns out he's a huge part of Kingsglaive. Even a little "previously in the world of FFXV" before the game would have been nice, cos I currently know nothing beyond "imperials bad" without really knowing why.
  • There must have been so much content cut out or never finished. It becomes increasingly obvious the further you get.
  • MGSV got a hard time for not being finished too, but at least the core gameplay was basically flawless. A lot of fights in FFXV seem to devolve into the enemies AI breaking, or my allies clipping around the place.
  • Are you implying that the last third of the game is full of extreme gameplay lurches, disastrous tonal shifts, as well as nonsensical and unexplained story thread changes?

Edit: that @Jon
  • Are the boss designs and big hunts good at least? I fought Naga last night and nearly fell off the couch and rolled into the bin whilst laughing
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Deadeye fight is a bit of an awkward thing to pick out as it was clearly designed as a spectacular set-piece for the vertical slice demo that was consequently fucked about with to fit in the final game.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • It's just clear they changed direction for the game multiple times over the years. I did really enjoy it, but it could've been truly special.
  • Are you implying that the last third of the game is full of extreme gameplay lurches, disastrous tonal shifts, as well as nonsensical and unexplained story thread changes? Edit: that @Jon
    Pretty much sums it up.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Word on the streets is that Versus XIII ended up as the first of a trilogy before it got cancelled so only the first section of the plot was available for the new team when it got cancelled and turned into XV. Apparently they couldn't outright can the scenario due to contractual obligations so they just had to bodge as much as they could together as quickly as they could because management wanted a numbered FF out.

XV is probably quite good considering the time the dev team had to work on it, I just hope with XVI they're able to make something polished since we've been getting messy FF games for far too long.
  • FFXV was great. An utter unfinished (in the truest sense of the word, rather than just a lazy shorthand for "buggy") mess, but fantastic nonetheless.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FFXV was great. An utter unfinished (in the truest sense of the word, rather than just a lazy shorthand for "buggy") mess, but fantastic nonetheless.

Correct sir
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I didn't like it. At all. And that really disappointed me as I was so looking forward to it and had only just come around enjoying its predecessor, so I thought I was well prepared to enjoy it for what it was. But nope, it was too much of a mess for me to bear.
    Get schwifty.
  • I think I am binning it as well. I did a big base to get my car back, then I had a shite story beat that sent me to another big base which was incredibly boring, and then the Aranea Highwind fight which was some amount of glitchy shit. I read up on the story and it seems it's fairly useless too.

I only have a few days left to play it so I might try and tan it... but I think I'm done after 12 hours.
  • Which chapter are you on?
  • 8 I think, just about halfway through I think?
  • I don't see the point in carrying on if you're still not enjoying it.

That said I loved it, only thing that nearly broke me was that stupid chapter they apparently patched out. That was utterly tedious, LONG, and complete bollocks.
  • I kinda want to see how the hunts and big boss fights play out, and to better grasp why people loved it. I can see kernels of it but I feel like I've pulled the bad luck card on it, like people did with TLG.
  • If you're on 8 it won't take long to power through it. I wouldn't recommend it to see why people like it though, more to see how it all falls apart so quickly. It's pretty funny at least.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I kinda want to see how the hunts and big boss fights play out, and to better grasp why people loved it. I can see kernels of it but I feel like I've pulled the bad luck card on it, like people did with TLG.

I think I was 10s of hours into the game before doing the chapter you're doing now, so was probably a lot higher level and skilled up. I think I did all hunts and side quests I could before moving on most of the time.

Not sure if that would help but to me the most enjoyable stuff was cruising in the car, stopping to do hunts etc, and just hanging with ma boys.
  • My problem with doing the hunts is cruising around and fast travelling takes so damn long. I took a three hour break to do a few though. Not quite FFXII, but still fun.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Not sure when it popped up but Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV is on UK Netflix if that's of any interest to anyone.
  • I can't quite explain why this is compelling to play but I am still going. Just fought Leviathan. Just an awful fight. Made some headway into the Ascension grids though, some good new abilities mean the fighting is still quite fun.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!