Final Fantasy - General
  • Mine is on its way. Status is shipping so I'm not sure if that means it will be posted today or delivered by courier today. Either way, not sure I'll get to play until Thursday evening.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    GAME seemed quite late sending the dispatch notice for mine, so we'll see.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    Thinking about getting this. Last decent FF game (apart from FF XIV ARR if you ask me. :)
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Playing this now.

You lucky sausage. Two more looong days before I can get my mitts on it.

How is it?

It's nice - the PS2 roots show, but everything is clean, colourful and bright. There's some decent quality of life improvements with loading, saving and map access. Tinkering with audio tracks - both Jap or English dub, as well as original or reorchestrated OST - is super quick and easy, too.

The new job system already gives it a slightly different feel. But, overall...it's just a shiny FFXII.

There's probably enough improved here to justify a look for old fans, but it won't win any new converts.

I'm a proper XII fanboy so I'm enjoying myself and really enjoying the license changes.
  • Have they fixed that Zodiac Spear shite?
  • Tempy wrote:
    Have they fixed that Zodiac Spear shite?

Yes, although it's been replaced with yet another troll. Lol.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My copy just arrived. Initial impressions - there's a nice holographic sticker for the 30th anniversary of Final Fantasy but it's on the outside of the shrinkwrap so now it'll be lost instead of making the outer cardboard O-ring look nice and shiny. The Steelbook is not endorsed or licensed by Sony! Gasp. Currently 2/10, would not remaster again.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    When they announced this I said i'd get all cheevos bar the zodiac one on ethical principle.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    PS4 just went mental and ejected the disc and then kept doing the eject mechanism over and over until I restarted, so seems as good a time as any to give actual initial thoughts.

Opening FMV sequence looked nice. I'm curious as to what assets they were able to access for this as it doesn't look too obviously upscaled - I wonder if they originally rendered in HD to future-proof them or were able to re-render them. Or maybe it's just a nice upscale. Regardless, the FMV scrubs up well.

Graphics hold up well, though the texture work is noticeably dated when viewed up close and unfortunately the camera often chooses to show textures close-up in cutscenes. Still, it's nice to see everything given a chance to breathe and on a more macro level the visuals have dated well.

Content in the opening bit holds up well. Kind of feels a bit before its time - feels like it fits in well with the post-Game of Thrones mediascape. Everything seems very well thought out and put together but it does dump a load of stuff on you quite quickly - I couldn't remember the opening FMV and it only really makes sense now having played the game before and got familiar with the characters and setting. It's interesting that it kicks off with Ashe and Basche's story then immediately veers away to Vaan's. Part of me wonders if some of this opening content might have been better covered in flashback once the characters pop up in the story. I remember the story as not being particularly emotionally engaging and unfortunately the opening is matching my recollections so far - not helped a poorly timed trophy notification during the emotional climax of the opening section.

Nice to be able to play with Japanese voices to mix things up a bit - Vaan's Japanese actor seems like a better fit for the character than the English once. On-screen map is very nice as well.

In the initial section, the reorchestrated soundtrack and updated lighting combine to make everything seem very cinematic and atmospheric. I'm surprised by the impact the updated soundtrack has since the original synths were well-executed - seems like this is going to be a very good way to enjoy the game, providing my PS4 doesn't keep spitting out the disc.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    How many spits to get the Zodiac Spear.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    PS4 just went mental and ejected the disc and then kept doing the eject mechanism over and over until I restarted, so seems as good a time as any to give actual initial thoughts.

Opening FMV sequence looked nice. I'm curious as to what assets they were able to access for this as it doesn't look too obviously upscaled - I wonder if they originally rendered in HD to future-proof them or were able to re-render them. Or maybe it's just a nice upscale. Regardless, the FMV scrubs up well.

Graphics hold up well, though the texture work is noticeably dated when viewed up close and unfortunately the camera often chooses to show textures close-up in cutscenes. Still, it's nice to see everything given a chance to breathe and on a more macro level the visuals have dated well.

Content in the opening bit holds up well. Kind of feels a bit before its time - feels like it fits in well with the post-Game of Thrones mediascape. Everything seems very well thought out and put together but it does dump a load of stuff on you quite quickly - I couldn't remember the opening FMV and it only really makes sense now having played the game before and got familiar with the characters and setting. It's interesting that it kicks off with Ashe and Basche's story then immediately veers away to Vaan's. Part of me wonders if some of this opening content might have been better covered in flashback once the characters pop up in the story. I remember the story as not being particularly emotionally engaging and unfortunately the opening is matching my recollections so far - not helped a poorly timed trophy notification during the emotional climax of the opening section.

Nice to be able to play with Japanese voices to mix things up a bit - Vaan's Japanese actor seems like a better fit for the character than the English once. On-screen map is very nice as well.

In the initial section, the reorchestrated soundtrack and updated lighting combine to make everything seem very cinematic and atmospheric. I'm surprised by the impact the updated soundtrack has since the original synths were well-executed - seems like this is going to be a very good way to enjoy the game, providing my PS4 doesn't keep spitting out the disc.

Agree with all of that.

All the Ivalice games have such a subtle, poetic tone. Very slow, very talky and precious little melodrama.

It's aged very well and still feels very fresh.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I posted it because it seems to be one of the only ones that compares PS2 emulated-HD footage with the remaster, which highlights the changes made beyond the rendering thingey. I can't help that it has silly boo-hooing about Pro numbers too.

I was just trying to be helpful. :(

In the absence of any PC port announcement I've been considering sticking it on emulator, so it's spot on for me. Ta.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Ev has decided to spend her overtime money on a £180 PS4, so it looks like i'm back baby! hunting marks is good again! awooo (Vaan howl)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Turned out I only had to rewatch a few second of cutscene after having my progress lost by the eject - hooray for the new autosave!

Loving the option for Japanese voices, Vaan's is sooo much better and given there's a large black area at the bottom for subtitles anyway it all looks natural and classy as fuck.

Having to choose a licence board now though I'm terrified since it can NEVER BE UNDONE.
  • With the new super speedy options, can you just grind out a shed load of marks in short time?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    With the new super speedy options, can you just grind out a shed load of marks in short time?

I said marks and meant XP/Licence Points.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    With the new super speedy options, can you just grind out a shed load of marks in short time?

I said marks and meant XP/Licence Points.

Once you've got enough gambits to make autopiloting viable and you find the right area for large chains, I'd assume yes.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My brain is constantly surprised that I'm not playing Final Fantasy XIV and things behave slightly differently. I kept expecting AOE circles to pop up in the opening battle and now I'm surprised Vaan's not auto-attacking. It's a minor thing but it weirds me out how the characters can just wander around and look in different directions instead of auto-focusing in the enemy's direction, as in FFXIV.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Loving the option for Japanese voices, Vaan's is sooo much better and given there's a large black area at the bottom for subtitles anyway it all looks natural and classy as fuck.

Agreed. The Japanese voice track and reorchestrated soundtrack makes this a real audiophiliphic pleasure. I also think the game's somewhat "shakespearan" dialogue works better as pure text. So the Japanese voice acting rather adds to the poetry, than takes away.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Now it's no trusty old school manual but I do like when we at least get a reversible cover. 

Never did get round to this back in the day so it's all new to me.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Something amazingly addictive about tailoring party AI to that depth.

I was going to start on Tearaway tonight. Ah well.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Something amazingly addictive about tailoring party AI to that depth.

The tweaked licence boards make that even better, imo, since they force variation with regards strategy - you can't just buy useful early-level spells and give everyone access to them anymore, which means
    Spoiler:

However, the flip side is some fantastic customisation. I have penelo as a
    Spoiler:
    ready to go for her 2nd job as a
    Spoiler:

The first job gives her access to some decent curative spells, but also lets me give her a skill which recharges her MP as she does damage. That, coupled with the 2nd job, should turn her into an absolute death merchant.

I wouldn't have had to think in that way with vanilla FFXII.
  • There's a good quote from the Polygon review which I think nails the change created by moving to set jobs:
    The Zodiac Age's job system forces each character to choose a job (one to start with, and then a second later in the game) that limits them to a unique license board, which defines what they can do and learn.

In the early sections of playing through the game with these new limitations, I didn't notice much of a difference. But as the difficulty level ramped up and monsters started throwing more and more status-effect causing attacks at me, I realized that Final Fantasy 12: The Zodiac Age was not a game I could play on autopilot. I couldn’t let the if-then magic of my perfectly set up gambits play the game for me. I was going to have to strategize, and plan my parties, and alter my gambits on the fly. I no longer had the convenience of everyone serving as a tank, a healer, and support all at once. Boss battles that I previously knew how to sleepwalk my way through now took my full attention. And after 11 years and 300 some-odd hours, that was thrilling.

I'd argue that the change does alter the early game, too, as I've struggled on a couple of early hunts that I was able to get through before by just using attrition and abusing kiting. Kiting and agro is still there, but you've got to be smarter about it.
  • I remember the game only getting super dense during the section you fought the Giant Bomb in Garpa Wood? Or is that XIII? Anyway he was tough, and after that I recall a shift, but it was always that sewer dwelling esper that I struggled with the most.
  • Silke wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Agreed. The Japanese voice track and reorchestrated soundtrack makes this a real audiophiliphic pleasure. I also think the game's somewhat "shakespearan" dialogue works better as pure text. So the Japanese voice acting rather adds to the poetry, than takes away.

!!!  Didn't know they had Jap voices this time!! Rejoice!!!!!!
  • Tempy wrote:
    I remember the game only getting super dense during the section you fought the Giant Bomb in Garpa Wood? Or is that XIII? Anyway he was tough, and after that I recall a shift, but it was always that sewer dwelling esper that I struggled with the most.

Giant Bomb, yeah he was tough. Deffo XII.
  • There was one particular dragon that I struggled with that dropped from the sky. Green. Lots of poison. What a fucker. 

On Marks, I gave up on Pylraster, the one-eyed T-Rex outside the Pharos Lighthouse I think. Would've needed lots of grinding to get better but fuck that. 

This time round I'm gonna do lots of hunts and marks as I go along so that I'm readyyyyyy!!!! And also get all the summons or whatever. Like Zodiark
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Silke wrote:
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    !!!  Didn't know they had Jap voices this time!! Rejoice!!!!!!

Apologies for more posts, but I just wanted to pick up on that Shakespearean comment. It's one of the reasons why I love Vagrant Story so much, another Ivalice game by Matsuno (with OST by Sakimoto).
  • So it was delivered 12:25 today!  Gym first then maybe just maybe I'll have a quick go tonight.

Will show to wife and see if she recognises the game...  I was playing it a heck of a lot in 2006 after we got married and it caused... problems.  She remembers me spending far too much time playing games like Test Drive Unlimited and PGR3 early in our marriage, wonder if she will remember FFXII.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    FFXII was about when I met my wife too. Had to pretend I wasn't a gamer geek which hindered progress somewhat.

Not sure what I make of this job malarkey.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!