Final Fantasy - General
  • I only fished once. I don't really enjoy fishing in games, or in real life.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    Strong fishing here Tempy. Strong fishing.. I eagerly await the VR upgrade. 

I remember having some bumps along the way but ended up liking the story for what there is of it. There were some daft boinks along the way but nothing that really ended up being too bad. Platinumed the bastard too. I think the only Platinum I have infact.. 
    I found the clunks in the story quite a nice way of being reminded that this was in development for eons and it was a daft ol' FF story. I haven't really played any since about VIII or IX so any idea that it was going to be particularly successful or epic was out the window at the start. Bad dudes.. err .. sort of... somewhere. Good boys. Yup nice and clear. Spoiler: Good boys dun it in the end. Fin. 

The early car stuff is great fun. I nailed every single sidequest I could and trudged reluctantly back to a generally odd and clunky bit of story mission as an absolute last resort. It rattles into closed nonsense as you say but it didn't really worry me that much once it was all said and done. I clearly have a different attitude to putting up with this stuff.

And did altogether too much fishing.. Delicate balance that fishing game.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm also Captain Basch from Dalmasca

Basch lives!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Niagara Falls of Game Dumps, that. Loved it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    HE’S A TEN THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN DRIVEN INSANE BY A LUST FOR REVENGE. WHY HAVE YOU GIVEN HIM A FEDORA AND MADE HIM KOOKY?! HE UNIRONICALLY SAYS DUDE?! AM I BEING HAD ON SQUARE ARE YOU HAVING ME ON WITH A JAPE?! IS THE FACADE OF MY LIFE GOING TO FALL AWAY AND YOU ARE ALL GOING TO BE STANDING THERE, ALL OF THE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS GAME ALL LAUGHING AT ME, PROPER EYES BULGING BELLY LAUGHING FOR NOT GETTING THE BIG JOKE THAT IS BEING TOLD THAT UP UNTIL THIS POINT I HAVE NOT BEEN PRIVY TO LIKE A SHIT YOUTUBE PRANK THAT’S OBVIOUSLY BEEN HEAVILY ORCHESTRATED BY A SAVVY SHOREDITCH ADVERTISING STARTUP WHERE THEY HAVE A UNICYCLE IN THE OFFICE AND DRINK MILKSHAKES OUT OF MASON JARS?! AM I A DOPE?!

Posterity.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Beat the mimic queen tonight is my pace. Made Vaan a Red BATTLEmage, Balthier my token White Mage and Fran can be the Amazon Bun Death Machine as a Foe Breaker.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    HE’S A TEN THOUSAND YEAR OLD MAN DRIVEN INSANE BY A LUST FOR REVENGE. WHY HAVE YOU GIVEN HIM A FEDORA AND MADE HIM KOOKY?! HE UNIRONICALLY SAYS DUDE?! AM I BEING HAD ON SQUARE ARE YOU HAVING ME ON WITH A JAPE?! IS THE FACADE OF MY LIFE GOING TO FALL AWAY AND YOU ARE ALL GOING TO BE STANDING THERE, ALL OF THE HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE WHO MADE THIS GAME ALL LAUGHING AT ME, PROPER EYES BULGING BELLY LAUGHING FOR NOT GETTING THE BIG JOKE THAT IS BEING TOLD THAT UP UNTIL THIS POINT I HAVE NOT BEEN PRIVY TO LIKE A SHIT YOUTUBE PRANK THAT’S OBVIOUSLY BEEN HEAVILY ORCHESTRATED BY A SAVVY SHOREDITCH ADVERTISING STARTUP WHERE THEY HAVE A UNICYCLE IN THE OFFICE AND DRINK MILKSHAKES OUT OF MASON JARS?! AM I A DOPE?!

Posterity.

That was my favourite part too, loved it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've been playing with the roles the characters were given in Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings but it meant I had no proper healer for ages because Penelo doesn't show up for a pretty long while. Also, I like Dragoons but I can't have whatever the FFXII equivalent is called because Llyud, the new character from Revenant Wings, took that role. My Gambits are pretty shit at the moment and it's a bit weird not having all the characters being able to do the same stuff but gameplay-wise I'm enjoying it.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Yeah, I didn't have a proper healer for quite some time. Thankfully, several of the jobs get access to a limited selection of white magic, so you can make do. Red battlemage has a decent selection of all-round magics - black, white, green and time are all represented, which is what I gave to Ashe.

In the end I made Balthier my white mage (for his second job) with penelo as a monk / black mage for ultimate damage.
  • Cheers loves, that was my inner Vice writer
  • Got a cheap Steam key for FFVII + FFVIII last night.

Replaced the music files, so it sounds great, but doesn't anyone know how to make a controller work on FFVIII, specifically a DS4 running through DS4Windows?

It lets me set the buttons in the options, but when the game launches, it has a screen showing the keyboard controls, which can only be skipped with the keyboard, and the controller does not work on the main menu.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    FFXII day for me! Just got a last few things to polish off at work, an agonisingly long one hundred and thirty mile drive home and then I'M IN.
    Get schwifty.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I felt pretty bad buying this when my pile of shame is quite big but in the end I think I'm going to end up blasting through it before I finish anything else so I don't feel too bad now. I felt quite disapproving of the fastforward at first but now I use it judiciously out in the wild, in dungeons, etc. I think having played it before makes me more inclined to use it since I've already seen it all and don't need to soak in the experience to the same extent. I only use it at 2X though since 4X is borderline unplayable and a bit unsafe without a strong party. Apparently New Game+ lets you start at Level 90 so I imagine if you wanted to blast through it again in the future for the story or whatever you could speedrun it quite quickly with a combo of that and 4X fastforward.
  • Yeah, the fast forward is pretty cool. Only used the x4 properly on one occasion though - running and re-running a route in the sand sea to get that beautiful 999-chain!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm in love all over again.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Just imagine if Matsuno had been allowed to complete his game...

I wonder how XIII might have turned out, and the series beyond, had he had a hand in things.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah such a big shame he had to leave or was forced out or whatever the reason was. Best (J)RPG ever would've been even more best. And we could've had another classic Ivalice game by now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Cluckatrice is still like "go and level you fucking nerd".
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Hit the Stilshrine of Miriam but I've now reached the point where I can basically no longer play without grinding as I'm too underlevelled. Suspect I shall finally be breaking out the 4X fastforward tomorrow.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Hit the Stilshrine of Miriam but I've now reached the point where I can basically no longer play without grinding as I'm too underlevelled. Suspect I shall finally be breaking out the 4X fastforward tomorrow.

Sounds like a rubbish place to be.  Loving my time with the game, why would I want to fast forward?
    Get schwifty.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Benny Hill mode.

I've used it a few times today on a fetch quest and getting from one side of town to the other. Felt a bit dirty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    It's the best addition by far. And retroactively damning of an entire genre.

Still digging it though.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Yeah it's cool.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why did I doubt red eye? Uhlan's don't even get Leap. Basch is now half useless.
  • For me balthier is pretty useless. The red battlemage (Ashe for me) seems as good a healer in the early and mid-game as a dedicated white mage (which is what I had balthier as) and guns do stupidly little damage. I only drop him into the party to keep his level up, but rarely find a lot of use for him.

In other news, this game is so fucking good.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've seen a lot of recommendations for having Balthier as a white mage. Doesn't really match with the character though!
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I've seen a lot of recommendations for having Balthier as a white mage. Doesn't really match with the character though!

Yeah, thing is I wanted to avoid just having penelo as a white mage...seemed kinda obvious, and I wanted Ashe more front line utility paladin type. So it was fran or balthier, both ranged, as either a white or time mage for me.

They're both becoming more and more useful, but for the early levels both rely on physical attacks rather than magic - it takes a while for magic to become super useful outside of status effect management and basic healing - a couple of boss battles aside, that is.
  • That's probably a result of the early game allowing more attrition-based tactics than anything. Once bosses start mixing it up then there's a real need for strategic flexibility.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've found Dark super useful for groups thus far. Though i'm only on the imp ship. Should probably make excuuuuse me princess a knight and penelo a black mage? Or maybe i should stack that on vaan for + magic damage licenses.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am surprised there's literally no option to respec. Not even a super expensive late game one.

Unless....

It's DLC.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!