Androids, Everybody needs good Androids
  • for an app, and this was recommended by a mate because i know practically nothing about what apps are out there or how popular they are, but 'instapaper' sounds pretty cool.  basically if you see a web page you want to read later, you send it to the app, and it basically collates your own little 'paper' of interesting things to read for when you have time.  apparently it strips a lot of the crap out of the web page too, so you just get the article itself.  better than trying to remember urls, or emailing links or saving loads of favourites...

I like the idea of Instapaper but, for the things I'd use it for (mainly technical documentation), it'd need to download pages a couple of links deep and keep the links working.  For some things, it'd need to have active scripts for the menu systems, too.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't do any of that and is entirely focused on grabbing blocks of text (much like Apple's "reader" button in Safari).

EDIT: Just came across Chrome to Mobile which might (I've not tried it out yet) to be more like what I'm after.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pinball Arcade has the Pride of Pinbot table for free for this month, free to play for this month that is.
  • Android peeps; my wife's boss is having a nightmare syncing stuff up when she's working out and about.  Not the most technically literate woman so she doesn't have a robust way to do it.  

They've asked me to recommend the best way of maintaining a calendar on a computer and syncing it easily and reliably with an Android phone.  My first guess was that Google Calendar must be the best way, but as a dyed in the wool iOS person I have no idea if that's right or how it works?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, all Google apps should sync easily between pc and android device.
  • So how do you set up a Google Calendar?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Um, I forget and I don't have a pc at hand but if you have a Google account, it should.be in one of the options on a Google plus or i Google home page. Just sign in on any Google page and look through the options.
  • Sweet; is synching done through an app?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Syncing should be automatic I think. At least that's the way mine is set up.
  • THE PLOT THICKENS.

She's got a Google Calendar account set up, but apparently it's not synching.  Everything on the phone is correct but the info on her Calendar online is wrong.

Is there a simple way to make sure it syncs, and make sure it overwrites with the data on the phone or at least merges?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There is probably a set time or interval when it syncs. Otherwise there will probably be a sync now option somewhere. I'll have a look later, heading out into no Wi-Fi land right now.

I'm pretty sure though that it syncs when you save the created event. Could be wrong though, I don't use the calendar very often.
  • No probs, cheers for the help.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Also, you would probably need to have auto sync on. A lot of people have it off by default as it eats battery but there is a check box for the calendar in the settings I believe, so you could have the auto sync for calendar only, in theory anyway.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Just had a quick look in my settings and there is a on option in the "accounts and sync" setting, under the Google account, for calender. If you have the automatic syncing turned off you can tap this to sync immediately. So, save the events in the calendar and tap in settings to sync. On the pc, I think the sync is automatic but there may also be an immediate sync button.
  • Might be worth checking she's using the correct calendar in the account on all devices - you can have multiple.

And, if it's of use, you can connect to Google Calendar like an Exchange account.  The login is your email address and the server is m.google.com
  • Yeah, mine syncs automatically. I love it.
  • The Google integration is the most amazing thing about Android. It's weird that the Gmail app is so pish though
  • i find the web version of gmail awful too...

also, re the sync issue, could it be that, if not one of the above sensible options, her phone is set not to automatically use data services over the mobile network?  some phones can be set so they only use wifi for a lot of services so as not to use up your 'bandwidth allowance'.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • google wrote:
    The Google integration is the most amazing thing about Android.
    I finally got 'round to switching to Chrome as my main browser, rather than Firefox, and I'm really loving all the syncing it does between different PCs and devices at the moment.

It's weird that the Gmail app is so pish though
    Yeah, that surprises me, too.  No combined inbox, what's that all about?  Hopefully the standard email app is better; I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but it certainly was back on 2.2.
  • I just picked the humble android bundle up for $7.

Humble Indie Android Bundle

Fieldrunners, Bit.Trip Beat, SpaceChem, Uplink, Spirits, Anomoly: Warzone Earth, Edge, Osmos, World of Goo
  • Ooh, they've added more games, nice. Lucky I threw them some extra dollars, rather than giving the minimum to get the full previous set, before.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yay 'paid' for Osmos, Edge & World of Goo again!

Still can't complain, chucked a tenner to charity for it and they are DRM free. So anyone not on HB want the APKs?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I've already got world of goo, how good are the other games?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Edge & Osmos I like- though I find Edge more compelling. Spacechem is fucking boss. Bit.Trip beat won't run proper on 7". Uplink is just the same. Spirits is meant to be boss. I've no idea about Anomoly.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Bit.Trip and Uplink both run fine on my 7" Nexus. In fact, all the Humble Bundle games do, despite three of them claiming they don't.

Anomoly is like tower defence in reverse. Don't think I'm going to like it, but then I hate normal tower defence. Speaking of which, Fieldrunners is included too, which people rave about.

All in all, I'm very happy  with it. Particularly considering the majority of my money goes to charity.
  • I've been trying to play space chem on my s3 it's quite hard squinting at the tiny icons.

I found out that Google nav was doing live travel updates as I drove around the m25 today, that was a nice surprise.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Yeah spacechem is purely a tablet/desktop experience. You get it for PC though if you get the humble don't ya?
  • Windows, OS X, Android and desktop Linux, IIRC.
  • Bit of a faff installing them, is it?

Getting them, anyway. A tenner, most of it to charity, and some quality games.
  • Not really, just get the Humble Bundle app from the Play store.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!