PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Sasukekun wrote:
    I've got an Android phone now and feel very underwhelmed compared to iOS. Am I missing something?

Oddly enough, my experience has been the total opposite. I'm finding Android a joy to use, while iOS felt stifling and unnecessarily restrictive. Don't think I'll ever go back to iOS devices (unless they introduced an Android/GateKeeper style "allow non-App Store software" button in System Preferences).

However, I'm in the market for a non-stock version of Android. I've heard good things about Cynogen Mod, anyone else got other recommendations?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Did you do it? I'd be too scared.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    No, going to wait until I get my unlock code emailed to me. Then I'll start dicking with it.

In other news, I'm a bit in love with the Steam, Xbox Live and Halo Waypoint apps. Bloody brilliant they are.

Can anyone recommend a torch app, i.e., something that turns your camera flash on? The only ones I've been able to find in the Play store seem to want an awful lot of permissions (access to contact lists, that kind of thing) for something that's just meant to turn an LED on.
  • Yes, I've got one. Will have a look.

It's called Flashlight. Does morse code too, for that inevitable moment when you are lost, with a mobile phone but - curses - no signal, but are still near enough to some boy scouts.

Slightly more usefully, it has a strobe setting, which you can use to take some cool photos.
  • Or cause some seizures.

I had cyanogenmod 7 on my desire hd, the vanilla version wasn't really to my liking but there are some pretty cool tweaked versions. I've got cyanogenmod 9 ics running on a kindle fire and I'm very happy with that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Thanks, @WorKid.

I think I'll grab Cyanogen Mod once I've got my unlock code through. (At the moment my new phone is basically a tiny tablet.) Any pitfalls I should look out for, @n0face?
  • Anyway, I bought Cut The Rope the other day and am now quite addicted.

Anyone registered on that Scoreloop thing?

Do we have an Android gaming thread btw?
  • @Blue Swirl, I don't claim to have any expertise but I found the guides on xda quite easy to follow. You have to root your device then install a boot loader and recovery then your kernel, radio and Rom. I'm pretty sure once you've got the boot loader on your mostly safe from bricking your phone. The thing I found hardest was understanding all the terminology but there is plenty of reading and guides on xda to get you started.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers, n0face.

Anyone played with SE Android? Pondering it mostly for the geek cred.
  • Play your android games with a Dualshock controller

Can't see me using it on the train, but, it's relatively cheap, and a good idea.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    My phone has decided that connecting to the wi fi is a bit too much like effort.

As far as I can tell, I haven't changed anything. It says it's connected, but only Firefox works; any other app that requires a 'net connection complains that I don't have one. The wi fi signal strength indicator has gone from green to white. It still fluctuates as I move around the house.

Any ideas? I've tried forgetting the network, rebooting the phone, turning wi fi on and off, all that jazz.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    My phone has decided that connecting to the wi fi is a bit too much like effort. As far as I can tell, I haven't changed anything. It says it's connected, but only Firefox works; any other app that requires a 'net connection complains that I don't have one. The wi fi signal strength indicator has gone from green to white. It still fluctuates as I move around the house. Any ideas? I've tried forgetting the network, rebooting the phone, turning wi fi on and off, all that jazz.

No idea. I have a similar issue round my mum's house.
    I can connect to 2 seperate wifi points at work, my own one at home, one round the in-law's, one round the brother-in-law's, and some public ones. But for some reason, it won't connect to my mum's wifi point.
    It tries to obtain the ip address, then fails saying it protected me from a poor connection, despite my mum having a good virgin media connection, and me having a full bar signal from her router...
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • I've got this free £15 to spend in the Play store. Anyone got any recommendations for stuff that's compatible with my Nexus 7? Wanted Machinarium, but it hasn't been updated for 4.1 or something.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Minecraft? Zen pinball?
  • Pinball's a good shout, I'll check that out. Don't get the interest in Minecraft, though; particularly not the mobile, off-line one.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The mobile version of Minecraft allows local multiplayer over WiFi. Not that I've actually tried it.
  • World of Goo is worth a punt at £2.99

I'm currently ploughing my way through Cut The Rope (I realise anyone else interested probably played it years ago) and finding it quite entertaining.
  • Seriously, get Where's My Water? And also where's my Perry. Pisses all over Fucking angry birds.
  • Pretty much everything pisses all over Angry Birds.  Anyway, I had my fill of direct-the-water games back with Enigmo, all those years ago on iOS; tried those two on iOS and they bored me.

Probably should have said before that really I'm looking for Android exclusives or stuff that's only available/ works much better on a tablet than a phone.

It doesn't have to just be games, either; if anyone knows a really good outiner and/or notes app, for instance, that would be awesome.  Tell you what, a decent sticky note widget would be good, too.

I did grab the latest Humble Bundle, after realising it came with Android versions, but that can't come out of the free credit.  Still, Uplink; yay!

Anyone got opinions on Great Litte/Big War Game and which is better?
  • Field runners is a good little game. Tower defence,works nicely on a tablet.

Quite uninspired but GTA III works well too.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Except it's impossible to control, which is kind of a big problem.
  • I haven't had any problems so far.

Try Little Stars for Little Wars 2 - I think it's either v cheap or free.

And there's always NSS.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    AJ_ wrote:
    Pinball's a good shout, I'll check that out. Don't get the interest in Minecraft, though; particularly not the mobile, off-line one.

There's a demo of Minecraft if you want to try it out before dropping the moolah. Though I can see it not being much cop without friends, and the controls, while serviceable, were not a patch on a pad or keyboard/mouse combo.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's been updated to be very close to the pc version apart from the world size, which is quite small. It's quite enjoyable if you like the single player version on pc, which I do.
  • Thanks for all the suggestions, here's some notes about them just because:

Thing about Minecraft is that it just doesn't look fun to play; it looks like all the enjoyment comes from building things and if I'm going to build things in my free time, there's plenty of "real" things I enjoy building, so am going to do that. Suppose cheching out the demo can't hurt though.

Fieldrunners was part of the Humble Bundle, so I have that. On the whole, I can't stand tower defence games, but it's not all that bad if you're watching telly at the same time or something.

Little Stars looks promising, I'll give the demo a shot, but NSS and GTA3 don't interest me in the slightest (due to, respectively, not being into football and thinking the game design is laughable).
  • for an app, and this was recommended by a mate because i know practically nothing about what apps are out there or how popular they are, but 'instapaper' sounds pretty cool.  basically if you see a web page you want to read later, you send it to the app, and it basically collates your own little 'paper' of interesting things to read for when you have time.  apparently it strips a lot of the crap out of the web page too, so you just get the article itself.  better than trying to remember urls, or emailing links or saving loads of favourites...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!