Work - The pros and the cons...
  • poprock wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    She’s putting the word out tonight that she’s available for new job offers. Doesn’t mess about, my missus.

A recruiter phoned her at 7:30 this morning and she has an interview tomorrow lunchtime for a job that pays a third again over what she’s on now (which is already more than me). She hasn’t even had time to update a CV yet. I’m impressed and full of pride. Also not in the least bit surprised …

My man!

The wife now matches my salary, even though she's only a few years into her career, she's younger than me, and works for a FTSE 500. Before long I'll be a kept man and I'm looking forward to it.
  • If I ever get to ditch the nine to five, I think I would still need a bit of freelance work to keep my hand in. Just for pocket money though. I’d feel bad about blowing her income on sports cars without at least contributing to the occasional meal out.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    First overtime shift done, 13 hour day done. First time ever. End me now please.
  • I can't bring myself to do overtime. I don't want to be there for normal time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Was email only tonight, some good bants between the six of us. No pay and half so we get an ASDA gift card instead to make it up to overtime pay. Whiskey being bought Friday.

Also got my first ever payslip, feelsgoodman with a joint.
  • I remember my first proper job, because they paid us through a special account that took time to set up, for the first 10 weeks or so we got paid weekly, in cash. We had to go up to a special wee counter on a Friday and the woman gave us an envelope with cash inside. That was fucking glorious. Straight down the pub after of course.

Money in the bank is fine and all but cash in hand feels so good.
  • DS BOSSING IT LIKE A BOSS.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I used to do a fair bit of overtime when I was younger. I remember doing several months in which I did 6 day weeks and a quite a lot 7 dayers - had to develop a lot of code for a system we were rewriting to a fairly strict deadline.

Nothing worse than coming into work on a Monday when you have worked both Sat and Sun.

I had free reign to do as much as I wanted but over a long haul I learned to pace myself. I adjusted to doing Saturday mornings and 6 or 7 hours on a Sunday if I worked both days on a weekend. Sat was *1.5 while Sun was *2.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Anyone after a job in San Francisco organising the lives of and cleaning up after a couple of mentalists?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ofc/d/personal-assistant-must-love/6256376954.html
  • Oh my god. I think this is the most precious part:
    - Two Animal Lovers (this used to say "dog lovers" but we were receiving accusations of being preferential to dogs)
  • So …

Mrs Poprock has an interview next week to go do new business and marketing for a huge law firm. She also has a spreadsheet of every architecture practice in Central Scotland she would be willing to work for, with CEO contact details, sorted in order of preference, and her CV ready to go to every single one of them. She’ll be starting with her favourites today, second batch on Monday, etc.

SO BLOODY ORGANISED.

I did the same (copycat, hell yeah) and fired out applications this morning to every design or ad agency in Glasgow who are currently advertising a position, regardless of whether it’s at my level or not. I’m gonna start targeting proper contenders with speculative applications on Monday.

Suppose I’d better do some actual work now.
  • Able to protect a dog from being attacked by another dog

Is this dog being bullied?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Oh my god. I think this is the most precious part:
    - Two Animal Lovers (this used to say "dog lovers" but we were receiving accusations of being preferential to dogs)

Maybe Trump should just press the button after all.
  • Boom.

Got myself two interviews lined up with decent agencies after my emails this morning. One who are desperate for a Senior Designer and having trouble finding the right fit, and one who have a similar role opening up in a couple of months’ time.

I’m not messing around now, want to get myself out of the current job ASAP.
  • Nicely done pop, good luck with them.

Redundancy process continues at my work. They've agreed the salary bands, I won't move up or down, as i guessed. My boss agreed that I'd achieved my pip, so I won't lose any points at interview because of it. Interviews Tuesday, anyone here have experience with balanced scorecards? Apparently that'll be one part of the interview, rest will be competency and behaviour based questions.
  • All the scoring was done in secret when we did redundancies. We were told what factors we would be scored on, and we were interviewed, but the actual scoring was all behind closed doors and we never learned how we individually fared. (Except for the obvious, that some people got the boot and others stayed on.)
  • The original pass mark was 67%, that's been reduced to 57%, so blessing and a curse for me. I scored in the high 80s when i went for this job as sn external candidate, i should romp it after being in the job a couple years. But, it means there's gonna be more folk hitting the pass mark, so more arses but still less seats.
  • Call me old fashioned but shouldn't your managers and bosses know exactly who they should be keeping and letting go just through the everyday nature of their job!?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • I managed a small team for years and knew exactly who was working well or not at all times.
    It's part of being a manager, surely?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yes, but you have to give evidence for why you've kept some on over others.
  • Yeah there is a hell of a lot of procedure involved with redundancies. The scorecards make things transparent and avoids favouritism.

It is so easy to file a constructive dismissal complaint if redundancy procedure isn't followed.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Call me old fashioned but shouldn't your managers and bosses know exactly who they should be keeping and letting go just through the everyday nature of their job!?
    In theory, we're all safe. My boss doesn't want to lose any of us. But.......
    Yes, but you have to give evidence for why you've kept some on over others.
    And:
    Yeah there is a hell of a lot of procedure involved with redundancies. The scorecards make things transparent and avoids favouritism.

It is so easy to file a constructive dismissal complaint if redundancy procedure isn't followed.

It should just be a a box ticking exercise at my site. We're dropping 1 Manager from our headcount, it's a girl who technically isn't a Manager, she's a supervisor on secondment. There are other manager and deputy general managers in the region that will lose their jobs though, so my boss has to be able to prove that we're all above the minimum score for managers. It's a pointless pain in the gooch.

Regarding scorecards, i was talking about a balanced scorecard, thing that gives an at a glance show of how a business is performing. One of the exercises will be I'm given a scorecard from a hypothetical cinema, and i have to identify problem areas and create an action plan for how to address them.

• Balanced Scorecards so 90s.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Balanced Scorecards so 90s.

We went from that to a value creation map.

Not sure what we have now.......
  • We're sticking with the balanced scorecard for us back of house managers, apparently they want the supervisors to become team leaders and run front of house, following the Disney 'magical experience' ethos. It's a pile of shite, my job isn't changing at all.
  • I've been put on the same project several times this week and can't get anywhere with it.

The brief is contradictory in itself and the design they want contradicts their brand guidelines. Plus it is so complex the thing I am designing will never, ever get built in reality, it will be too expensive and too impractical to produce multiple units.

Just fed up with it now. Each time I get handed a quick sketch done by the creative director along with the same reference and brief.spend a few hours in it before getting to the point it can't physically work.

It doesn't fucking work!
  • Balanced scorecard is just a set of performance measures and their results, allowing you to run the business. There should be mix of customer based, operational and financial.

For extra points I would as well as assessing the results given to you, consider whether the performance criteria you have been provided with are actually the ones that allow you to run the cinema effectively or are there any others you would like to see.
  • I've been put on the same project several times this week and can't get anywhere with it. … It doesn't fucking work!

Can’t really suggest much without knowing the details there, but generally this sort of problem is best batted back to the client with an honest appraisal. I’m guessing you can’t do that because you don’t get direct client contact?
  • Yeah totally agree, I have put my points across to the project manager, can't do much more than that.
    The problem is they have been shown a hand sketch early on as part of a handful of concepts then fallen in love with it.

As for details.
    It is a retail gondola for a spirits company.
    They want the gondola split so one face promotes product A and the other promotes product B.

This was designed for them but they wanted something more radical but with each side unique to each other in form. The issue there of course is that it is very difficult to have radical design form without the other side interfering.
    The solution seems to be bury head in sand and just design each side in isolation.

At hand drawn stage that is fine but when you bring that into 3D shockingly it doesn't work anymore. So that is issue 1.

Issue 2. They have seen this concept where it looks like liquid pouring over the unit. Great, they like it fantastic. Get it to 3D and again problems.
    The liquid doesn't look like their product, it looks like wax or cupcake frosting. So they want it "more liquidy".
    I make it more splashy as to the images in their guidelines.
    Not premium enough, of course it isnt, it is fucking splashy orange liquid!

Back to waxy liquid and they show me a bar that was designed in that way. Great but a bar and a gondola are two very different things. They want it looking like it is dripping off shelves and fairly loose and open, yet somehow I have to mask the rear side while at the same time ensure the ends of the gondola are part of the fluid look.

Personally I think they need to ditch it as a concept, it won't get made anyway, the production costs will be astronomical.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!