Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I have heard lots of reports of Dunkirk being effed at lots of IMAX screens because projectionists basically don't exist now.
  • Nah, reason it wasn't displaying correctly was that the guy in here last night didn't shut the projectors down properly, so failsafes kicked in which stopped the left hand projector supplying full power to the lamp. I intended to power cycle it earlier, but same clown from last night didn't pass on that i had 3 school groups in my first show, so was caught up dealing with that.

Sorted now.
  • Aye I wasn't suggesting that was the reason, but damn if proper projectionists are a job that should still exist.
  • They were all made redundant in cineworld around 2011 when they switched to digital projection. Some art house style places still have projectionists that manually wind spools of film etc. These days, I've got a couple av trained staff along with me, we look after all the projection stuff. Scheduling films etc, changing xenon bulbs and such. And, me and my team are 4dx technician trained. Hopefully This'll help me avoid redundancy, I'm one of the only managers in the uk that can deliver the training for stuff like that.
  • Aye, I have a friend who I believe now manages the Cameo in Edinburgh who is a reel projection wizard. Digital projection isn't the worst, as long as like you say, you know what you're doing.
  • Cameo's part of cineworld now, they bought picturehouse. Has he mentioned the protest that was meant to be happening there today?
  • No but another friend of mine was doing that down in London
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I felt Bobby's day at work was vaguely related to the last page.

• Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    AAAAAAHHH AAAAAAHHHHHH
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Currently en route back into work after an automated call from the alarm company, and yer auld da here got given his boss' keys this evening as she's off the next two days. Uhhhhh..... Help??
  • So it was all good, just had to reset the darn thing and arm it again. And I've been told that for answering the call, I'll be paid a mandatory 3 hours at triple rate. Not a bad night's work.

Good night.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Night Gav.

A bit melancholy, last day tomorrow. Ready to leave but met some delightful people and had a few quite lovely moments along the way. It's been good, I'll be back.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • So it was all good, just had to reset the darn thing and arm it again. And I've been told that for answering the call, I'll be paid a mandatory 3 hours at triple rate. Not a bad night's work. Good night.

Christ, I never got that at Game!
  • So I've just been asked to do 3 callbacks. For these, I was given the clients name, and a contact number. No other information.

There are two databases the clients accounts could be under, and some will have an account in each. One database may have more than one account. I could be representing RBS group insurance (therefore any of the banks under that umbrella), Talk Talk, Or Team Knowhow.

If it's the latter, no one will know who that is, is it's just been rebranded from Geek Squad. Some people may think they should be speaking to Carphone Warehouse, as that is where they would have purchased their insurance.

I eventually possibly located accounts for two of them, which did not have any indication that they had spoken to my department before, or why I could possibly be calling them.

Fortunately I only got through to one of them, and left voicemails for the others.
  • Do you work at Capita owned PC World tech support?
  • No, that's in Sheffield.

I work for Dixons Carphone, and do tech support for Geek Squad/Team Knowhow insurance replacement devices, RBS Group insurance replacement devices, and Talk Talk handset customers.
  • It used to be in Lenton before they sacked everyone and moved it. I got out before that happened. I have sympathy for you, I despised that job.
  • So... Two interviews yesterday, both went well I think. One is definitely interested and already talking about a follow-up ("informal, over a coffee") which to me sounds like unless I do something mad and punch them in the face or insult their family or something, they want to offer me a job.
    Fuck!

Annoyingly I preferred the other company so trying to subtly and not-at-all desperately chase them up before I get back to the first lot.

Looks like I might be a cockney wanker soon enough. Who'd'a thunk it?
  • Pro-tip: Don't punch a horse.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Don't listen to him, he's northern. Down here we're all punching horses all the time. You won't be a real Londoner until you punch a horse.
  • In the face. Doesn’t count if it’s not in the face.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, it also counts if it's from behind and you survive, but it's not recommended.
  • You mean giving an HP sauce a Sunday lunch?

I thought I should make a start on learning the language.
  • I applied for a job in Seattle yesterday. Fuck it, why not?

(Nb. Actually getting it would be a very, very, very long shot. I requested a stupid salary so that I could cover the Mrs not working and they’d need to sponsor my citizenship or work permit, or something, as well.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm working from France. Could be worse.
  • I have a project on the go just now, relatively small. Just a wee thing designing a new business incubator / co-working building. The architects are on top of the build, one of my colleagues is handling the interior design and I’m just adding environmental branding and wayfinding signage. Dead simple, and it’s on an incredibly tight budget. This is a tiny wee job for us.

I have the client coming in just after lunch for a catch-up.

One of our company directors just asked to see what I’m presenting to them. Okay, no bother. Then she asks where the exterior sign package is. Er, there isn’t one. We haven’t been commissioned to do anything outside the building. The budget wouldn’t cover it even if we had been. So she says yes we have.

Bollocks. I know for sure it’s not within our contract. I’ve been in every client meeting so far. She just wants to give them extra for free because she’s buttering them up in the hopes of getting more work from them. Which will look good for her while simultaneously making me look like I can’t work to a budget. I’ll get into shit for this.

She then justifies herself by saying that “Well we’ve worked miracles on the small budget” meaning the interior design side of things. She hasn’t. She’s blown her half of the budget three times over. I have access to the accounts you silly boot, don’t bullshit me.

This is why I need to find another job. I’m done with it.

You don’t win sustainable future business by cheating on budgets vs achievements. You win future work by doing a good honest job and by treating your clients (and colleagues) with respect.
  • Sounds like a total areshole with no idea of what she's doing.
  • Sounds like you’ve met her.
  • I've worked places like that, it is a joke.
    I have always maintained that it doesn't matter who the client is if you don't make money from them then there is absolutely no point in gaining repeat business from them.

May as well stay home and pick your bum.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!