Work - The pros and the cons...
  • The Vibe is a beautiful building. Shame it was a piss tier nightclub. It will be flats soon enough.
  • Yeah got caught in a Google loop looking at its history. It's lovely.

4257486957.jpg

Wife still isn't having it.
  • There is some brilliant architecture here unfortunately it is a bit run down in places.

The building I live in is an old hop house. They took the grain off the trains across the road then distributed it to the local breweries. Since it has been a West Indian refuge, student housing, a brothel and now flats.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Wife still isn't having it.

What does she know though?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    St Albans is very expensive for commuterville. London ish prices. But yes it's pretty nice.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    London's a weird one, I'd say try to live as close to work as possible or simply don't live in London. At the end of the day if it's going to take an hour or more to get across London I'd rather live in Bournemouth (hometown bias) or somewhere around Aldershot/Camberley way. Going to likely be better for kids and school, easier to get back to the West Country when desired and a lot cheaper. Season ticket from around that way wouild be around £3.5k but the savings in cost of living would far outweigh that

Don't get me wrong I quite enjoy being iun London but I've no family and I genuinely don't know how I'd feel about raising a family here
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was raised in London, I wouldn't have had it any other way.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Lots of my friends here at work were as well. I wasn't and I really appreciated the fact I had a beach and a forest almost on my doorstep. I know there are some lovely places around (I loved living in Wandsworth for example) just I guess it's what you're used to I suppose. I was imagining a bit of a culture shock moving West Country to London but on the flipside that might be preferable to moving to an area that similar but a bit less good which might be seen as change for changes sake, where being in the city could be sold to them as an adventure. The other way is a Mon-Fri rental, and work from home every Friday so you get half the week with them at least
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • @wordkid have a look at this site http://www.commutefrom.com

commutefrom.com helps you decide where to buy a house around London. It tells you which stations are within your preferred commute time of the central London station nearest to your work. It also tells you information like the average house prices, crime rates, and schools in the area.

Reading is quite expensive nowadays, you'd get more for your money in Basingstoke or Swindon. As said previously, Essex is worth a look as well. All comes down to commute time and cost. I know people who commute in from Bristol on a daily basis (to london). Season ticket is an eye-watering 12k.
  • @cockbeard

Aldershot?!

@Dino

Baisingstoke?!

Do you guys secretly hate him or something?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ok Church Crookham, Farnham, Camberley it's all the same bloody place, they just sound better
  • I think everywhere has it's pros and cons. I loved growing up in Milton Keynes up to about 16, then it lacks the culture a young adult yearns for.

London is a funny one though. I have no doubt people appreciated growing up there but there are very few areas of London that haven't transformed over the last 30 years so raising a kid there today could be a different experience to when we were all kids. I think that is less true of places outside London, everywhere changes of course but some parts of London have changed dramatically in the five years since I moved there.
  • Applied for a board position a few months ago as a way of keeping my application skills/cv up to date and just had a call telling me I got it, haha what
  • Shit, Kaz is in charge now, hide.
  • What they didn't mention is it's a sandwich board.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Brilliant, great work Kaz
  • @cockbeard

Aldershot?!

@Dino

Baisingstoke?!

Do you guys secretly hate him or something?

OK, Fleet, Farnborough, Woking, Winchfield (all on the same line)
  • http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static/documents/content/nationalrailoperatorsmapZoom.pdf
    Stevenage, Stansted and Colchester. All the lines in from there should yield plenty of opps.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lunch break, last day of training. Big tings from tomorrow fan.
  • So, even though my work is starting a consultation process that could see me redundant at the end of it, i just got a letter today saying I'm getting my annual salary increase, effective from 1st July.

Seems a bit pointless.
  • Even in the worst case scenario, one month of higher pay is better than no months.

Also, if they do redundancies it should affect the package they offer you.
  • Maybe someone here can help:

My job (operations Manager) is being made redundant, and I'm having to apply for a new 'cinema manager' job. So, do they not have to give redundancy pay anyway, as I'm applying for a new job, rather than being redeployed? Also, don't they legally have to prove the new role is significantly different from the old one in order to get away with making the old one redundant?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm not sure they do, our Retail Ops Manager was let go the other week with a new role created in it's place as a Store and Operations Support Manager

All they've really had to do is give Claire a month's consultancy period where she can decide if she wishes to apply for the new role or not

Admittedly, might just be my lot being a bunch of flybynights, but it's getting them into the position where they have to prove anything that's tricky without legal proceedings
  • Thanks guys. Down to last two (gulp!) looking seriously at West side (Farnham? nearer Bristol and stuff) and East side (Colchester etc, better prices and nearer the sea, but further from West Country) .

Shit got real.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Maybe someone here can help:

My job (operations Manager) is being made redundant, and I'm having to apply for a new 'cinema manager' job. So, do they not have to give redundancy pay anyway, as I'm applying for a new job, rather than being redeployed? Also, don't they legally have to prove the new role is significantly different from the old one in order to get away with making the old one redundant?

If your job is deleted you'll get redundancy pay if you don't get the other role. If you get the role you won't get redundancy pay.

Is that what you are asking?
  • Syph79 wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    Maybe someone here can help:

If your job is deleted you'll get redundancy pay if you don't get the other role. If you get the role you won't get redundancy pay.

Is that what you are asking?

Pretty much. I thought my current role was redundant either way, whether I get the new one or not.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It is, but you won't be entitled to redundancy if you are successful in your application for the new position.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!