Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I misspoke.
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    'you canny talk to me like that son, i pay your wages'

(I fucking HATE it when a customer says that. I lost the rag.)

'you pay my wages? With your pish 1p each way bets? How much dyou think they pay me? And another thing, i pay your dole money ya shiftless cunt!'

Ugh. I bet public sector get that all the time. "Yeah, mate, I have a deal with Downing Street, your council tax goes right into my account. Ya Muppet."

Any time I deal with an asshole parent or kid, I go and have a shit. Knowing that in some, ridiculously small way, they are paying for me to have a shit helps enormously.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Imagine the finely cut sirloin she imagines you to be ds.

Yes fam that rough Manc twang. I could almost hear the dampness.
  • No fucker in today, and no one has turned up to the late shift.

It's going to be a long day.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I am literally getting paid to hang around with beautiful people until I feel like wandering around Italy and eating things at the org's expense. Biggest junket evah.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret wrote:
    I am literally getting paid to hang around with beautiful people until I feel like wandering around Italy and eating things at the org's expense. Biggest junket evah.

But I'm not in Italy...
  • Skerret's eating you?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He is not.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Then who are you eating you hussy?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    M8 I am spoken for ok
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well quite. I can only imagine how Griff is feeling right now.
  • Finally got my rejection letter from The Big Issue today. Shame, I genuinely wanted that job. They (predictably) went with someone already working in the commercial magazine industry.

There really aren’t many opportunities to get into magazine design at such a high level up here in Scotland, so I’ll be back to looking for a design agency I don’t hate. Back to concentrating on my existing job until something fun looking comes up.
  • Sorry to hear that Popro, so much creative stuff is like that though, not thstcit applies at your level but they need more trainee schemes everywhere. So many job applications seem to be tailor made for shuffling existing contacts around.
  • It’s a story I hear a lot as I get a bit older, in all industries, is that it’s hard to change direction in your 40s. You’re often considered too old/experienced/expensive to take a risk on retraining if you want a change of career or sector.

It’s one reason why so many creative workers start up on their own or as freelancers instead.

I think I’m doing well to be considered for big roles and getting as far as interviews, even if it’s only as the ‘wildcard’ option.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry they didn't want to take the risk. At least you're philosophical enough to understand why, and yeah I think getting in for the interviews is already a big win, and good practise
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This morning The Big Issue have re-advertised that Art Director job, so that’s a bit more depressing. They could at least have said they didn’t find the right person at all, no need to lie in my rejection letter.

I’ll give ’em the benefit of the doubt. Maybe it was just poorly worded by the HR department.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You could redo your application and reapply. At worst they think it's a bit weird and ignore it, at best it shows that you're keen and may get them to reconsider you.
  • I think I’ll contact the Editor directly. Just a friendly email to note that I saw it re-advertised and ask whether there’s anything I could improve upon if I wanted to reapply.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That works too. Good luck.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I think I’ll contact the Editor directly. Just a friendly email to note that I saw it re-advertised and ask whether there’s anything I could improve upon if I wanted to reapply.

That sounds bang on to me. Also it's very possible that they made the offer to the someone else who has decided to take another role elsewhere. Definitely worth asking whoever you interviewed with whether they'd reconsider your application given that the position is available again

After saying to everybody here to always be applying for roles something came up back in Bournemouth so I half arsed an application. Been invited down, and suddenly it all feels real. Love the people I directly work with, but do feel a bit undervalued. Think I should definitely go down and speak to them about it, but at the same time this job is very very secure, and I could be in a lot worse situations. Feel a bit guilty though being as my Head of Development and my IT Director are both out of the business this week, and I'm pretty much running IT right now, neither of them are back in on the day I'm interviewing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Don’t worry Cocko, you’re doing the right thing.

You can be available by phone the whole day if anything goes tits-up at your work.

Also, if you genuinely couldn’t leave during that week, just tell the new folks so and ask to schedule for the week after. Anyone who wouldn’t appreciate your honesty and commitment on that wouldn’t be worth working for anyway.
  • Fast response from The Big Issue’s Editor (who is a stand-up bloke, we got on well in the interview).

He wants an Art Director who is jumping from one big magazine to another. It’s a prestigious role and he needs a ‘name’ Art Director for it. Partly to defend his decision to move the mag production out of London … he needs it to be someone with bags of industry respect.

Okay, so I was never in with a chance then. Cool. I feel okay about that.

Also, he wants me in as a consultant to help with the wider brand and with ideas on how to promote each issue of the mag on-street. I had a good chat in the interview about doing research with Big Issue vendors to determine what tools can be provided to help them sell more copies.

So I’ll be getting freelance work out of this. It’s all been worthwhile.
  • That's arse but understandable. Shame you did all that research when you weren't in with a chance, but at least it isn't fruitless
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Sounds like a bit of a clusterfuck from the BI's end to me.

Still, the freelance stuff is good news.
  • Seems to me like they didn't get their choice applicant applying but decided to interview some people to see if there was wiggle room.

Now they found a consultant.

It is unconventional sure but I imagine advertising for top jobs often is.
  • Seems to me like they didn't get their choice applicant applying but decided to interview some people to see if there was wiggle room.

I think that hits the nail on the head, yeah.

So I didn’t get the job, but this sort of thing is never a waste of time. I got to meet some interesting people and learn about how their business works from the inside. I also opened their eyes to some things they could do outside of their day-to-day, and they’re now likely to pay me to help them with some of that.

It’s a win all round, just not the big win I went in hoping for.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sounds like a banging result to me poprock. I can definitely understand why they might want a big name, bit gutting that that name isn't yours yet, but no good reason why it can't be at some point, plus who doesn't like a little freelance being offered every now and again
  • I get it too, but I doubt anyone has ever turned down the Big Issue because it was designed by someone who isn't a big name. The editor should grow a pair and have some faith in the product, not who's pushing it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The thing that the editor doesn't have faith in has nothing to do with the product, it's moving out of London and still being able to attract big names in the industry. Based on the fact that the job has been readvertised, I can potentially see why.

To be honest, it feels like they should be using head hunters in this situation. Or, if they are, better ones.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!