DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Bollo you are a true friend
  • Chaps,

I'm thinking of getting a job in London. Well more than thinking, I've applied for one and got through the first stage.

I've never wanted to work in London and fuck knows where we'd live, me and the family are happily settled in Bristol and the thought of fucking up my kids fills me with dread. I'm sure they'll cope in the long term but in the short term it'll be really tough.

But it's a good opportunity, the company is small but growing and the culture looks good, I'm pretty sure I'd take it if offered. But it's keeping me up at night, it'd almost be a relief if I didn't get it. I can tell myself I'd be doing it for the kids, which is true, it'd be great for them in the long run I know. But mostly it's just a better job for me. Although the commute would no doubt suck (but a great excuse to buy a Switch eh?).

Not sure what I'm looking for guys but I needed somewhere to get my thoughts down.

Better the devil you know? I'm a bit long in the tooth for massive complicated life changes (schools! Houses! Travel! New job!) and all that. And I'd miss Bristol and our friends and the kids would be miserable for a while. But it's also kind of exciting. I'm really in two minds over it all.
  • How old are the kids?

What's the cost of commute both in time and monetarily?

Does the job pay well?

On a net basis are you better off?

Will you move to the suburbs of London?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    What are you bringing of value to the next stock?
  • 2 10 and 12. The 2 y old wouldn't be an issue. The 10 year old is fairly resilient but, you know, 10. The 12 year old is just settling into High School and has all the usual teenage girl issues going on.

Job will pay a bit more although not sure how much of that gets eaten in travel, I'm driving a fair amount to work anyway so suspect I'll be net better off and also have slightly easier commute if it's via train.

No idea where to move - we've tentatively scoped out everywhere an hour away which is like all of the SE. Seem to get more for you money on the east side, Essex way maybe. Ideally I'd have a 40 minute train ride say 20 minutes from my house. A short bike ride, a short drive at a push. I've no idea where to start tbh.
  • At the next stock I'll supply sarcasm, general northern banter, and weariness.
  • Where in London is the job?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Come to London, it's great.

Although we do already have sarcasm and weariness in abundance at Stocks, TBF.
  • WorKid wrote:
    2 10 and 12. The 2 y old wouldn't be an issue. The 10 year old is fairly resilient but, you know, 10. The 12 year old is just settling into High School and has all the usual teenage girl issues going on. Job will pay a bit more although not sure how much of that gets eaten in travel, I'm driving a fair amount to work anyway so suspect I'll be net better off and also have slightly easier commute if it's via train. No idea where to move - we've tentatively scoped out everywhere an hour away which is like all of the SE. Seem to get more for you money on the east side, Essex way maybe. Ideally I'd have a 40 minute train ride say 20 minutes from my house. A short bike ride, a short drive at a push. I've no idea where to start tbh.

Get something on the district line which goes out to Upminster, or there's Chelmsford which the overground gets you into Liverpool Street I think. Then there is the overground which traces the A10 through Hertfordshire, or near Stansted. Essex is cheaper than Hertfordshire.

South of London is not my forte. Weybridge and Teddington might fit.
  • Literally start googling commuter towns.

The line I am on is very good into London and not an obvious one.
    Bedford (where I live) is between 35 and 45 minutes by train going into St Pancras. You could move closer on the line, avoiding Luton obviously. St Albans is lovely if pricier, very popular with commuters.

If you go South of London be aware that Southern operate many of the services and they are crap. On top of that Clapham Junction, London Bridge and the Croydon stations are all outdated, over populated and don't look to be getting any better any time soon.

Moving West of London would make it easier to get back to Bristol if you have ties there still. Could be worth considering for your older two. If they know they can spend a weekend at old friend's places it may take the edge off.

If you have a few places in mind go on National Rail and check season ticket prices. These can vary a fair bit town to town.
    For example when I moved I was looking at Bedford and Milton Keynes, both about the same distance to London.
    A Bedford 12 month pass is £4500
    A Milton Keynes 12 month pass is £5000
  • Make sure to get the fast train from Bedford. Memories of the chugger.
  • Also St. Albans is nice.
  • If you are looking at zone 4 or 5 check how long it actually takes to get to work.
    I was in Zone 3 when in Tooting and I can get to Central London faster from Bedford.

Some of those lines that run way west like District and Piccadilly can take fucking forever.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Make sure to get the fast train from Bedford. Memories of the chugger.

Ha, yeah. And get out of London before midnight or you end up on the 90 minute train, needing a wee.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Taking a cue from live, reading is only a 50 minute train journey to Waterloo. You could be fairly far out without increasing your commute significantly.
  • Yeah I was thinking Reading. No idea what it is like as a place but certainly a commuter town.
  • @workid if you need any help/info regarding South London commuting and/or schooling issues, give me a shout.
  • Thanks guys. Job is somewhere near Bank / Liverpool Street so looks like could literally live anywhere. Waterloo and City opens up the South part too.

I would like to stick West of London if possible but it looks pricey as anything.

I figure though that if this comes off I may end up living alone in a tiny flat until I can get the family moved so I will try and get the full London experience. Which probably needs to include a Stock at some point.

Because I live in Bristol and have been to London for work on occasions I basically hate the Reading trains, it's always a crush around 4 to 7.
  • Yeah unfortunately commutable distances come at a price.
    I'm about as close as I can imagine being at a reasonable price, without it being too much of a shit hole and to be fair a 20 minute bike ride would see me in gorgeous countryside.
  • Surely it would have to be a considerable bump in salary to take into account the enormous increase in the price of a home and the fairs?
    I dunno about Bristol house prices but london zones houses are min 550k+ for crappy 2-3 bedrooms (houses are also hard to get even if you have the money - demand), even the commuter towns are pricey but if they are cheaper the savings are eaten up with travel costs like mentioned above. Would you have overground then underground ticket costs as well? Or will it be bundled in at around the usual 4k a year season ticket price.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • An extra 500 quid a year for zones 1-3 when bought with a season ticket.
    You are looking at around 5k a year in public transport if outside London really.

Offset that against what you would spend on fuel commuting currently to get the extra money required. If you can ditch a car entirely it isn't too much difference, depending on the car.

• bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Yeah I was thinking Reading. No idea what it is like as a place but certainly a commuter town.
    Have family who moved there for personal reasons.  Trains in and out of Reading aplenty.  Some lovely spots a few miles out.  Good shopping and close to M3/M4/M25.  That said, getting to the station, motorways or anywhere in a car takes forever because of the one-way systems and volume of vehicles being a commuter town. Probably not dissimilar to Bristol, there are some very dodgy spots/people dotted around the place and if I have to visit, can't wait to get the hell out.  ;)

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • I remember trying to get to one side of Bristol from the other on a bus, with a massive hangover.
    I ended up throwing up Ribena into a Woolworth's bag that was just not built to take a litre of purple liquid at high velocity.
  • Reading's where the new crossrail ends so the commute should come down significantly. I bought a house other end of the crossrail, Plumstead - nice little place, ~45 mins into Charing X atm via regular ol' train, when crossrail station opens it's meant to be ~20 mins to TCR. Mental.

Have a google around crossrail stations - it's a good future proof, or should be at least.
  • Will do.

I'm currently driving about 45 mins each way so if I can ditch the car totally I'll be miles better off despite silly train prices.

Amazingly I've just had a phone call about another job, sounds very similar to the first, so my chances are now doubled. :) must be fate.
  • Come to South London and buy a motorbike.
  • Thanks liv been googling it up tonight, great help.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-56910265.html

£1m buys me the Vibe nightclub but 1) I can't afford it and 2) the wife says we don't need a nightclub. So I've been looking at more sensible things in the 'burbs.

Bedford might be a bit far out for getting down to Bank? About an hour 15? Not sure. I have bad memories of the Northern Line :)

St Albans looks ideal though.
  • Yeah 50-75 minutes depending on the train you catch and how busy it is. Bank is always crazy anyway.
    That section of the Northern line is as good as any other line though.

I would have thought St Albans would be similarly priced to Bristol, maybe a tad more. Similar type of place as well if a little less culture but then you can get that from London.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!