Work - The pros and the cons...
  • So........

My dgm (the one behind that bullshit pip i was on) has handed in her notice, without another job to go to. Her job was never at risk, but they reviewed her salary and were forcing a cut on her. So she's rage quit.

A covering Manager at the imax has handed his notice in, got a job that more closely matches his career plans. 2 more managers at my site have resigned, one due to salary drop, the other because she's realised she'll get a decent payout because of time served; gonna use it as a cushion while she cares for her mum and looks for another job.

Hearing rumours that all of parkheads managers are opting for redundancy, same at silverburn. We've went from too many managers and not enough jobs to too many jobs and not enough managers.

Looking like i could turn up to my interview on Tuesday half pished with my junk hanging out and still keep my job.
  • HawBawJaws wrote:
    Looking like i could turn up to my interview on Tuesday half pished with my junk hanging out and still keep my job.

So, the usual Tuesday then?

In all seriousness, that's great news.
  • So what you're saying HawBaw... is I have a chance
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Arrrghh.

I've been a medical secretary now for about a month (exam results not back yet and they in fact lost the test papers in the post our end initially but have now found them so add a couple months more delay on that to marking).

I caught out my consultant doing private work on NHS time yesterday. We got a letter from Bupa asking for professional advice on a previous patient he'd seen at the hospital because he was making a pension request. I got the letter typed and most things organised but then he asked me to type an invoice and also attach copies of scans that were in this person's patient notes. This seemed not totally proper so I rang my secretarial bosses who paused in surprise then told me no, Bupa needs to contact a department we have for this sort of thing called Access to Records and a payment needs to be made to the hospital itself since it's using hospital resources. More than fair. I'm happy I asked.

Come Monday I'm going to have to basically tell my consultant "sorry but no because - " and also ring the contact at Bupa. I am a little worried this will sour my relationship with him as he could take it as if I've cheated him out of an easy £100 for being a jobs worth. Also it bothers me I am potentially delaying this guy's pension request simply for protocol which from an empathetic stand point bothers me.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Also there is a Dr coming back Monday off an extended period of leave and the other consultants in our department either loathe/are terrified of her. One calls her the "Babylonian Bitch" (she's from Iraq) and allegedly had a mental breakdown on site because of her. Before I left work Friday they asked me to prep my desk for a possible move around which annoyed me to fuck because of no forewarning and my desk is a professional mess currently which I would have been fine with if I had more warning. Apparently it's to separate certain consultants away from each other and give her some space.
  • On the other side of the argument you are gaining the NHS £100 at a time when every penny is desperately needed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surely this consultant's supervisor or HR should be talking to this person rather than you. You shouldn't be the person dealing with it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    So what you're saying HawBaw... is I have a chance

You have a chance??
  • At a job? Maybe?
  • The way it's looking now, they'll probably go on the street with a big net, first person they catch is the new manager......
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    On the other side of the argument you are gaining the NHS £100 at a time when every penny is desperately needed.

Yeah that's a truth. Means something hearing from not my own head.

Yossarian wrote:
    Surely this consultant's supervisor or HR should be talking to this person rather than you. You shouldn't be the person dealing with it.

Consultant's are generally their own law at the hospital. Even on administrative matters they don't have any hands on experience with. I blanket said to all of them in the office you need to email my boss's with a floor plan but they were so non-committal and blank in the face it was like asking the sun to cool-off.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Who employs you bollo, the NHS or the doctor?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The former. I don't see him as my boss really. He's an objective I've been assigned to support. 

Part of the problem is the secretary I'm replacing who retired did tons of private stuff for him she really shouldn't have done. It might be a case of me stone walling him this time will stop this happening in the future.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, sounds like the right response to me. Not only are you doing the right thing as defined by policy, but you're also being loyal to your employer. Plus, if he's not paying your salary it's hardly right for him to expect you to produce work for him during your working hours that he alone is going to profit from.
  • I'd agree with the others bollo. He shouldn't be using nhs resources for his private work, sounds like you've done the right thing.
  • GW with the Copy Editing Job advert which I'd love to go for If I didn't have a 6 month lease on a flat in Glasgow. Let me copy edit from here you jerks.
  • Go for it and see what happens. You might be able to get out of the lease.
  • I don't particularly want to go back to Nottingham either to be honest.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    He shouldn't be using nhs resources for his private work

That's the sort of cheeky thing that I'd do if it didn't impact patient care, so I'd be inclined to let it slide if I liked him. If he's nabbing from the NHS to improve the quality of his work and no-one else is put out...
  • So I got about halfway through my list of ‘agencies to email my CV to’ on Friday.

I have an interview at lunchtime, another this evening, one on Wednesday night and a fourth on Thursday night. A fifth agency have invited me in for a beer and chat next week. I’m waiting on confirmation of date for an interview with a sixth.

This is going better than I expected. I’m slightly emotional now.
  • Escape wrote:
    HawBawJaws wrote:
    He shouldn't be using nhs resources for his private work
    That's the sort of cheeky thing that I'd do if it didn't impact patient care, so I'd be inclined to let it slide if I liked him. If he's nabbing from the NHS to improve the quality of his work and no-one else is put out...

It's costing the NHS money to line his own pocket. Anyone who uses the NHS is put out. Anyone who doesn't use the NHS but pays tax is put out.
  • @popro, are ISO on the list?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    AND ITS BACK TO WORK

A
    G
    A I N
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    W O R K B O I
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Oh god, I'm going to have to start looking for work again soon.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Is there a new collectors edition coming out then?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    what are you addicted to Dante how about i mock the shit out of u
  • Tempy wrote:
    @popro, are ISO on the list?

Nah, they’re on my CV instead. I was ISO’s first ever employee, back in ’99. It was just the three of us in a converted cupboard at GMAC, picking up freelancers to build teams for each project as it came in.

I do need to drop them an email and tell them I’m looking though. I’m not really suitable for working with them again – I’ve no motion graphics skills at all, or editing, or coding. All things they need nowadays – but the guys are still great friends.

Bossed my first interview for the day. Small advertising/design agency who desperately need a new senior bloke. They suggested that if I work there I would be Deputy Creative Director within a couple of years with the intention of offering me a buy-in and eventually control of the company in five or six. They need someone to be their inheritance plan, so they can start thinking about retirement.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!