Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Crit lesson in 5 minutes Had my panic vomit there so we’re good to go!

(Crosses fingers)
  • Here’s my bad self

edit: or not
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Best of luck T.
  • Aye, knock 'em dead Temps!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • All done, will have an idea how it went in 20 mins

Dsrjbu7WsAEHvI2?format=jpg&name=large
  • Good luck temps. Had two pracs myself this year but neither were as full-on as yours (observation and first practical) whereas you seem to be at a far later stage?

You can do it.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Easy partner, I don't want trouble.

*Holds LT and presses X*
  • Remember to graffiti the bogs.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Easy partner, I don't want trouble.

*Holds LT and presses X*

*Throtles nearest passer by and demands money*

• Tempy, where have your hips gone? I can't remember when I was last that thin.

(Hope it went well)
  • Vela wrote:
    Good luck temps. Had two pracs myself this year but neither were as full-on as yours (observation and first practical) whereas you seem to be at a far later stage? You can do it.

I'm only on Placement One, so this is my first crit. I dunno how your course is structured. 

Long story short, the result of my crit was "not yet satisfactory" as you can't technically 'fail' your crit. I was given a few options today. Quit, defer, counselling, or carry on. I have had a bit of time to think but I am not yet sure. Other students are having easier placements in some ways, and tougher in others.

In a weird vote of confidence, the faculty head sat me down for a chat and said "You will regret giving up this placement halfway through. If you leave on Monday, we carry on, but for you everything changes. Deferral or quitting, you'll regret leaving on some level."

A weird conversation from a guy I was nearly sent back to the Uni by on Tuesday, so I'll have to keep thinking.
  • I'd absolutely stick with it.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • You should complete the training. At the very very very least see what happens in the other schools. A lot is alchemy and it may click elsewhere.

Additionally you’re gaining skills and resolve to draw upon. I know that my time teaching was hard ass and terrible (and in ultimately a bust) but I also know that it helps me cope through a lot of stuff nowadays even though it was more than ten years ago now.

I will say this might sound odd from someone who quit the profession.
  • Trust me, you're teflon, or some remote member of the incredibles. Stick, don't twist.
  • Keep going mate.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yep, stick it out. I only did the lite version of what you’re doing, but fuck me if getting through it wasn’t worth my while on so many levels.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Good luck temps. Had two pracs myself this year but neither were as full-on as yours (observation and first practical) whereas you seem to be at a far later stage? You can do it.
    I'm only on Placement One, so this is my first crit. I dunno how your course is structured.  Long story short, the result of my crit was "not yet satisfactory" as you can't technically 'fail' your crit. I was given a few options today. Quit, defer, counselling, or carry on. I have had a bit of time to think but I am not yet sure. Other students are having easier placements in some ways, and tougher in others. In a weird vote of confidence, the faculty head sat me down for a chat and said "You will regret giving up this placement halfway through. If you leave on Monday, we carry on, but for you everything changes. Deferral or quitting, you'll regret leaving on some level." A weird conversation from a guy I was nearly sent back to the Uni by on Tuesday, so I'll have to keep thinking.

Must be very different structure than here. The first prac was 1 week, and basically an entire observation stint with participation in small whole class teaching sequences (20-30min) or small group work. Only assessment was whether we turned up and had productive refelction discussions demonstrating an awareness of the events each lesson.

Prac 2 was 2 weeks, building up to 40% load so basically two lines/8 lessons in week 2. There was an assessment against each of the 30-something AITSL standards and only a handful of them were assessed on demonstrated knowledge (and these were content knowledge of the subject). Every other assessment was on a scale of "developing understanding/awareness of".
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Stick with it Tempy. Every school and placement will be different. You'll keep learning too. It'll get easier.
  • Wait... Did they suggest that quitting or deferring was an option at this stage? Unless I've missed something, they haven't put you on a proper support plan... Or have they?

They should absolutely be putting things in place to help you achieve. You have paid thousands to be trained, not to walk in and be good straight away.
  • Maybe they were just referring back to your previous conversations.. I hope so!
  • Wait... Did they suggest that quitting or deferring was an option at this stage? Unless I've missed something, they haven't put you on a proper support plan... Or have they? They should absolutely be putting things in place to help you achieve. You have paid thousands to be trained, not to walk in and be good straight away.

The way I read the quoted bit ie "You will regret giving up this placement halfway through. If you leave on Monday, we carry on, but for you everything changes." < this isnt telling him to quit. Its advising him of the consequences of quitting. At least how I read it, between the lines it sounds like saying its tough, but stick with it.
  • I'm not suggesting they said he should do it, but that it was an realistic option (albeit one he would regret). Tempy might have mentioned it before but he should be put on an action/support plan to help him succeed before any discussion of potentially leaving the course / starting it again.

My proviso is that if that was mentioned due to Tempy having discussed quitting with them before it's a bit different.

He should be given structured support by the uni.
  • Yeah, it depends on the context as it was raised I guess. Willing to admit I misread or missed that.
  • Have you been watching The School temps? Partly it was shot in my daughter's school but nothing interesting happened so they focus on one of the others in the Academy chain.

I think it should be mandatory watching for parents and government.

Anyway - keep going. You'll not regret carrying on no matter how it ultimately ends up.
  • I think the guy in charge of the Trust should be chased out of education forever, but that's perhaps for another day.
  • I’ve made the decision to defer at the very least, or perhaps quit altogether.

Financially that’s a nightmare, but mentally and emotionally it’s the best thing.

Now I need to find a job.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Not an easy decision. Hope it all works out for you buddy. Do remember that this year's as tough as it gets by all accounts, and not all schools are the same.

Hugs.
  • I know. When all the professional advice is suggesting that, then it’s clearly the right thing to do and I agree. Not been lucky with jobs, so I hope that goes better this time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!