Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Send nudes.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • How will us sending nudes to Wookie help?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Dunno but he used to send me nude shots of himself via Burnout Paradise and they 'helped'.
  • So some slightly better news and some bad news.
    Bad news is with my current childcare commitments etc I’m struggling to find work that fits as they all want full time and I just can’t do that right now :(

Good news is I’ve just passed my final medical exam and been told that I’m now fit and ready to start work with the police! Just got to wait for the final start date to come through!

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Is the start date likely to be imminent?
  • Not until the end of January unfortunately so need to get by until then
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yay, Chas, not ideal, but yo thought about hospitality, it's that time of year that random shifts are easy to pick up, and I know from my time in that trade I'd rather have four part timers than two full timers as it's more flexible. I know the hours might not be great but at the same time they might be better as kids already asleep, I don't know though really
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • I know from my time in that trade I'd rather have four part timers than two full timers as it's more flexible.

Especially if they know you aren't looking for work in the dead month of January. And as I said, should be a good time for tax-free tips (although I've heard horror stories of the UK tipping scene)

SFV - reddave360
  • Not really the most accurate place to post but, eh.

Anyway, nothing going on. Spent the last week being very ill. Stupidly went to do a stock shift at the bar on Saturday when ill and didn't finish til 2am. Had to walk home, after getting food I ended up in at 4am. Blargh. 

I actually booked a meeting with a career adviser at Glasgow Uni. Only 20 minutes but it was useful. He basically told me to not do anything for the next two weeks, and booked me in for a meeting with the person who deals with Arts and Creative Jobs. 

Things are all a bit weird. I should have enough money to get through February if I am careful, but finding a part time job that slots around my weekend job is quite tough, and abandoning the latter is kinda hard because it's £330 for 8 hrs a week. I have applied for a few, but not heard anything so far. Also hedged my bets on a few full time jobs.

I need to speak with the careers staff a bit more, but the main plan seems to be get as much freelance as possible then do a Masters. This is counter to what Liv has said (and Liv, apologies for not calling but my mental state and physical state aren't up to it just yet  - I do appreciate the advice and will act on it) but the truth is the media and job landscape in Glasgow these days means Masters are important. It's not a guarantee I'll do one, but that, combined with learning to drive, seems to be the next steps.

Oh yeah, therapy too, as I seem to be feeling very down every minute at the moment.
  • That's cool man. Do what feels right for you.
    Seeing the careers advisor defo seems like a good move.
  • Would appreciate some perspective on an incredibly stupid and petty dispute I'm having at work.

We've recently been going through some rebranding, and one of the decrees that was announced from above is that all our internal docs and emails now need to be in Arial 11 point. In fact, the system automatically changed to force all our emails into it before we were told. Now, I've always used Calibri for my emails, and don't particularly like Arial, so switched it back. The whole thing left me pretty angry; I don't see why it matters what font my emails are in and don't appreciate being forced to change for the sake of this rebrand, whatever difference it'll make. If they could have offered a good reason for the change I'd have accepted it, but the presumption and authoritarian side to it has got my back up.

This morning I got an email from a colleague telling me "with her brand hat on" that my font was wrong and that I had to change to Arial, and I can't decide whether to stick or twist because the whole thing has left me feeling really fucking annoyed. It'd be a weird hill to die on, but I'm slightly tempted to follow through and see how it can possibly escalate.
  • This is the most Joe post ever.

Calibri is better but I dunno if it’s a hill I’d die on.
  • We had our Christmas party last night and I went on several terrible drunken rants about it, I think my workmates were a bit shocked.
  • Corporate branding and identity is a pretty big deal so I'd be wary of making too big a fuss about it.
  • We all have to pick our battles so it’s up to you to decide how far you’re gonna sit this out. It’s not unusual for places to have corporate emails so I don’t know what kind of ground you’re gonna have to stand on?

On the bright side you could be the first person in the Uk to lose their job over an email font and I’m sure that’s gotta be worth something.
  • Play their tune but I'd change everything you can outwith emails within the office to Calibri. Signs, name tags, memos on the board, anything. Up the pettiness.
  • I agree... if it was Comic-Sans however...
  • Switch to comic sans in protest.
  • The font your emails is in makes absolutely no difference, and I'd be tempted to be petty back, sending every email in a different font and size.

However, I'm not sure I'd be willing to be sacked over it although I like the idea of a disciplinary over reckless and dangerous fonts.
  • I wouldn't give a toss about internal emails but mails going from the company to customers and suppliers? Yeah, I think they are in the right. You might not agree but it's all about the image they want to project for the company. To me it's a fair demand.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The extra annoying this is that half the emails I send are done on my phone, which doesn't let me choose the font anyway, so it feels like a lot of fuss over nothing.
  • Internal email font being part of a rebrand is a bit weird.

External obviously makes sense but internal?
  • Turn off HTML emails and use plain text.

Not because it solves your dilemma, but because emails with styling are the worst.

Serious answer?
    What’s wrong here isn’t asking you to accept new email style guides. What’s wrong is not having brought you on board with the rebrand process from day one. You should have been involved and included to a point where you want to change your email settings because you know that presenting the brand coherently is good for the organisation.

But … people get hung up on this stuff. Brand managers and marketing teams in-house often obsess over little details like email font size while fucking up whole marketing campaigns by not paying attention to brand guidance on tone of voice or photography style.

If I’d been working on your rebrand, I’d want you to change your font Kaz. Mostly because if anyone’s going to, it should be you. You’re the one sending press releases out into the world and quite literally representing the organisation.

But … if I’d been working on your rebrand I wouldn’t be telling you what fucking font to use in your emails. I’d have much more important things to worry about.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I wouldn't give a toss about internal emails but mails going from the company to customers and suppliers? Yeah, I think they are in the right. You might not agree but it's all about the image they want to project for the company. To me it's a fair demand.

Just for clarification, I work in PR for a theatre company, so all my emails are going to journalists and other PRs rather than customers or suppliers.

• Frosty wrote:
    Switch to comic sans in protest.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Just use the font they ask, Jesus Christ.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Just use the font they ask, Jesus Christ.

If someone cant tell you why you have to do something, it isnt important to do it.
  • If someone cant tell you why you have to do something, it isnt important to do it.

To represent the organisation coherently and present a unified professional appearance.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Corporate branding and identity is a pretty big deal so I'd be wary of making too big a fuss about it.

This. It could also be for Accessibility reasons – Arial is the go-to font for making things legible and readable for everyone on digital platforms. Especially across large organisations when not everyone will have lots of fonts installed; they're guaranteed to have Arial though (as it's a system font on Windows and MacOS), so it ensures consistency of display.

EDIT: Also what pop said. Seriously guys, a LOT of time goes into this stuff. Just do what the brand guys (hello!) tell you.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!