Work - The pros and the cons...
  • How long is the deferral period?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yeah, does that mean you can be guaranteed to start again next year? If so, probably not a bad idea. Hopefully you can really prepare for it.

In the meantime, if you want to do anymore writing collaborations, let me know.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I know. When all the professional advice is suggesting that, then it’s clearly the right thing to do and I agree. Not been lucky with jobs, so I hope that goes better this time.

I assume this means that next year you can make sure the balls up that happened to you at the start doesn't happen again. Will give you time to work on the feedback as well.

Reg, record teacher voice for him so he can listen to it as he sleeps.
  • The bell is for me not for you.

SIT DOWN.

Did you bring enough for the whole class?

etc.
  • I can’t help but feel like it’s another in a long string of huge failures on my part, so i’ll have to see how things play out after this.
  • Chalk it up to experience.

You will have learned a lot from this, make sure you stress that to future employers. You might think about writing it all up now.
  • Edit:rong fred
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Aye, it’s not easy to bail but if it’s not for you or it’s just not working out at the current place then it’ll be for the best. Like I said earlier, my wife dropped out of teaching cos she had a bad mentor, but if she’s honest it wasn’t really her bag. We had a guy training at our place a few years back, things just didn’t click for him and he deferred. Apparently he did much better on his second shot, like you I think he just got snowed under with commutes (he was regularly heading back down to Yorkshire to see family) and all the other stuff that gets thrown at you from the uni side.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I've been properly thinking about stuff, and I've seen some interesting MA courses in Ayr and Edinburgh that focus more on editing and digital media practice. The only issue is transport costs for those, but it might be worth it to pursue something that matches my dreams better. I always had people recommending me to teach, but perhaps it just isn't something I can do write now. I'll have to call the relevant people tomorrow and investigate
  • Best bet.
    Go to Skillshare.com and signup for the free trial, download the Adobe suite trial.
    Spend a month doing tutorials across a range of related stuff. See if the nitty gritty of it is something you feel you will enjoy doing.

It obviously won't be as good as what you would get out of a proper MA course but will avoid a false start. If you do decide it is something you want then consider subscribing to both and getting up to speed before starting the MA.
    EV will likely find plenty on Skillshare as well.

Sounds like I'm a Skillshare rep here, it's just Lynda but not mad expensive.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Best bet. Go to Skillshare.com

This guy is always on about his podcast...
  • Cheers Liv, I'll take a look at that tomorrow.
  • Also recommend Youtube, where there are many fine people offering tutorials for the price of watching 5 seconds of adverts.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Also while I'm here, that sucks about the deferral Temps, but you know what's best for you, don't think of it as a failure, there's always something to learn from your experiences and it's good to see you tackling things and moving forward. 

Keep it up dude. 

P.s. practice your editing by making more sick vids like the MGS one pls. kthx. <3
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Got to echo what others are saying Temps – it's not a failure to try your best at something and realise maybe it's not for you. How can you know unless you try? You've had the guts to go for it, which is more than most do their whole lives. Well doen mate. With a work ethic like that, you'll find something you love and be amazing at it, of that I'm certain. Big digital-hugs, buddy.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • Eugh, I've been trialling a new position for six months and I've to decide if I wanna stay soon. I've gone from a 5min walk to work for a 7 hour shift 7-2 or 2-9 and now have an hour's commute to a desk based job they want to bump up to eight hours if I stay. My college work has really suffered since going back this year and family life has taken a battering. Management think I'm crazy to be having doubts but what's wrong with carrying on as I was and making sure I do well in my degree rather than everything suffering for an extra few quid further down the road (no increase for extra hours but would start on an incremental scale) and "better job prospects from gaining experience in an office environment" ?!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yeah.
    Sounds like nailing the degree would be a better prospect in the long run. I think that is more important than learning the tea round in the office environment, like it is some kind of alien world needing of exploration.
    It's beige, it smells of coffee breath in the morning and farts in the afternoon.
    Got to have the work/life balance right as well.
  • They like to think it's all mysterious and us commoners wouldn't cope but in reality they spend most of their days looking at their phones!
    Came home today to find out my kids had done their santa letters this afternoon so that was a bit of a kick. :(
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Yeah, i think you've answered your own question there. Go back to the old one, smash the degree and family life, use the degree to end up in charge of them. Management that is, not family.
  • So I've had a week off.

After crashing out of my PGDE in spectacular style I have an opportunity to apply to a Masters course called "Creative Media Practice" where you work on filming, editing, photography, set work, and so on. It sounds like it's exactly the kind of thing I'd love to do, and it comes with the benefit of including an industry placement for actual factual work experience. Iit starts on the 7th of Jan or the 18th of September depending on which cohort I decide to attend with

BUT

It's in Ayr, which would mean an an hour commute three days a week (which is nothing) but that would cost around £200 a month which would but me at a negative income of around £50/100, if I get the same funding as now and retain my weekend job but sack off the Bar job permanently. The plus side is that it's only til May, then i'd be able to work all summer to save up my transport costs for the next term. I dunno if I should grab this chance, or get a crap full time job and save like made until September.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Take the chance, I will happily help you make up the difference DON'T YOU ARGUE WITH ME
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Take the chance, and I'll also happily support you in any way I can.
  • Don't pay anymore money until you are sure of what you really want to do.

Get on Skillshare or various other sites or experiences.

I feel like you are clutching, not sure where you want to be at. It is obviuously a creative end but you arent sure what that finale is.
    Formal education is a safety net, it will always feel right if working towards a qualification but that isn't a job.

Slow down. Think. Creative industries don't pay all that well even when focussed. They also take a while to get into and up to speed.

Trust me, I want to pat you on the back and tell you to go for it, I really do, but the reality is tough.

The subject matter of your degree doesn't matter as much as your portfolio.
    My degree is BA Hons Character Animation, I havent animated a character since.
    BA Hons get a the CV past stage 1. After that you just need to prove you can do the job or are pasionate enough to add something.

Will Facebook you.
  • Sorry to the teachers itf, but if you haven't worked in the industry recently you really don't know what employers want.
  • Personally I'd go for the September start, as long as I thought I could get a job in the meantime. Not only will it give you time to save, it will give you time to prepare. If you're going to be working during the MA as well, any headstart you can get will be valuable. You could use any free time between now and Sept to get details about the course, then do any reading etc in advance. It would also give you time to look around for alternative options before committing, just in case there's something even better out there.

And honestly, after what's happened with the PGDE, January seems kind of early to be getting back into something so full on. Take your time, organise yourself, get some money in the bank, then smash it.
  • I am definitely grasping, because everything has been such a shambles for the last year. I just want the comfort of something that works and I guess I am looking for quick fixes.

Liv, I appreciate your bluntness there. My reasoning behind looking at that Masters is that it’s a skill honer and a foot in the door for local industry. I can’t see myself moving from Glasgow or Scotland in the short term and it’s a small game up here. Plus the world is a bit different now than it used to be when you got your BA. Degrees mean nothing, and people are being pushed as far as doctorates for guarantees of employability in their field. That doesn’t mean I’m going to ignore what you’ve said, the january start is rushing things. It just means i’m nit writing the course off just yet.
  • Just helped a very old and extremely frail Italian woman about the hospital there, moving wards. She knows absolutely zero English but I used the translate app on my phone to ease her mind, keep her informed, and even have a wee chat about football. The app and my very limited Italian I've learned via football tweets worked a treat and she was beaming with a big smile by the time I left her. Feelsgoodman.

Reminds me I'm not the useless miserable idiot I all too often tell myself I am, and that my job can be okay at time.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You're doing something massively worthwhile, that's to be applauded.
  • Fucking awesome. I bet that meant the world to her at that moment.
  • Gav is THE BOSS.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!