Work - The pros and the cons...
  • I'm very good at paying respects and also destroying the competition with dank memes.

Edit: PageChamp
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • AND EVEN THEN SHE'LL CHOOSE A DUMB JOCK OVER US

GAMERS RISE UP
  • But what if you’re a clever Jock who enjoys games?
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • UGH CHAD AHOY
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Didn't get the theatre job. Nuts.

Sigh.
  • Ah, sorry dude. Keep your chin up mate – sooner or later, you'll get something that works for you and that you'll love.
    Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • At least you still have the option to make more money with overtime. That's no bad thing, and there will be other opportunities.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Cheers guys. It is what it is. I'm not mad at the decision, just wanted a fair crack of the whip for it which seems to have happened. The guy who got it, I'm really friendly with, so I'm glad for him. He's got a little one n all that.

Just kinda secretly wanted some karmic balance restored for all the shite that's been going on recently, and how I'm trying to just still stay true to myself, treat others well, be a good person etc. Just a little kick in the balls but I'll bounce back tomorrow.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Well if nothing else you are now more confident that progression is possible as you got a fair go, and it's good interview practise. Unlucky but you were kinda torn on it anyway. Hard to remember that now though as I'm certain once you decided on it you committed
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The burglar alarm has gone off at work and I literally, physically cannot get in touch with G4S to find out if they've responded because their phone line cuts out. I phoned the business park security and they aren't aware of them having responded. What a bunch of dicks.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • So GW are looking for someone to do a 12 month contract as a Painting Presenter. I decided, sure, I'll put myself through that application process again. Part of the process this time is to make a short tutorial showing me explaining a painting technique*

It evolved into something beyond that, and I am thinking that this is a pretty good component for my application. So fingers crossed I suppose?

I still have something else to film, a video version of a covering letter, so that's just gonna be me rambling for 5-10 minutes into a camera. Nothing massively interesting. Lots of odd challenges doing this video, like not having a reserve mini, so just having to do it all in one shot, hence a few funky mishaps with zoom that I couldn't edit out, and some annoying focus issues. Nice setup my pal has though, hope he gets his freelance gig sorted soon.

*I am pretty certain that the brief changed midweek and I missed it, so my video isn't... "short" but and it covers a few techniques, but surely overachieving is only a good thing here?
  • Can't comment on the content because I'm clueless but your presentation is insane.
    Fucking hell. I feel like a dick giving you advice, that's pro level stuff mate.
    Did you film all that yourself? Your presentation is excellent anyway. Very articulate.

Not just blowing smoke, I'm super impressed.
  • Cheers man, I am quite happy with it. My pal filmed it, a lot of the slickness is due to the gear - he’s recently got a very nice new camera - and cheap but effective lights. We did some dry tests and picked angles together, but it’s pretty much just point and shoot. It would probably have been possible to film solo if I could have output to a monitor in front of me for example.

Sadly the painting had to be one and done so I couldn’t be practice lines or anything, had to cut it down in the edit quite a lot.

The edit itself took about an hour. It isn’t ideal, transitions and cuts are trying to hide mistakes etc, but it seems to be convincing enough!

Regardless of whether I get the job I think i’ll try and get back into filming and editing things for youtube again.
  • Very nice manner, very clear. Perfect for that type of video.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I think regardless of the application you should carry on with that, providing your mate is up for it.
  • Bob Ross ain't got shit on our temps. Really enjoyed that mate, that was class. Oddly therapeutic to watch, too. More pls!

Fingers crossed in the meantime mate. You got this.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Looks great Temps, building blocks are all solid and delivery is clean and even and shows your awareness of the viewer in terms of pacing and so on. Minor details BUT a few nice closeup pans across the finished model at the start (or even just the bare model) for context with your voiceover and possibly inserts of brush and paint details/closeups as a mini gear guide in the preamble. These are things GW no doubt have precedent for so I don't think it's critical, but being mindful of that journey the viewer is going on and drawing them in to seeing the process being worth their while early on is handy I think.

Ignore this as needed, not sure what is and isn't relevant but bottom line is you have excellent delivery and sense of pacing and besides just being able to paint well (and neatly articulate that process) I reckon you're a lock.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Nice one Tempy. Solid video.
    Good luck with the application.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I think regardless of the application you should carry on with that, providing your mate is up for it.
    Yes, if you can keep doing these anyway.

I think, as Skerret says, close ups of the model, paints and brushes when you're introducing them at the start would've been good. But your presentation is genuinely impressive - and it's not something that most people can do that well.
  • Tempy is Nu-Duncan. Better than the other chap anyway.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Good stuff that Tempy, best of luck with it.
  • I’ve never had the slightest interest in GW nor of model painting in general but I’d lap another one of those vids up straight away.  Great manner to the presentation and the pacing is bang on.  I’ve no idea where your painting technique and end result sits compared to others but it all seemed really well done.  I was thinking i’d be watching 90 seconds or so - just to be polite - but I’ve sat there, through to the end, and now want to know more.  I’d expect at least an interview from that.  Well done.
  • Tempy I think you did a great job there!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's excellent Tempy, and I echo liv and Jon in that you should keep doing them regardless of the results of your application. Some good tips from Skerret too, that would add to the professional feel.

Another thing you might want to consider is to put the model down when not painting it. There was a moment (around the time you mixed a silver paint with water) and the model was blocking the cameras view of what you were doing with the brush. A very minor point so please don't take it as criticism, just thought it might help.
  • Cheers for the feedback folks. I want to try and get a pickup shot of the model itself to insert at the start of the edit, it was something we missed. Any other issues with it are sort of baked in to the fact it was a one and done attempt, which hopefully won’t be too much of an issue for the application.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Tempy, can you send me the link to the vid please. My mobile doesn't display YouTube vids on the forum anymore for some reason.
  • Vid could pass for episode 80. It has the look and feel of an established series that's been running for ages
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Tempy, can you send me the link to the vid please. My mobile doesn't display YouTube vids on the forum anymore for some reason.

https://youtu.be/HsGiYX82AvY

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!