Work - The pros and the cons...
  • Tempy wrote:
    Rejection email from GW, ah well.

Their loss. I thought you did a great video. 

Mightn't be your kind of thing, but you should look into doing those kind of videos across a wide range of topics and seeing if any of the self-help websites might pick them up? I've no idea if there's money or how it would really work, but as an ex-GW fan, I thought you did the instructions really well and I think your style would lend itself to many other skills and trades.

I think its sites like skillshare I'm thinking of but maybe even the training video stuff that companies have to use could be an option. God knows, the standard on those things is well below what you put up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Tempy wrote:
    Rejection email from GW, ah well.
    Gah! Sorry to hear that.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Asked for feedback too and got the standard 

"Thank you for your request for feedback.  It is Games Workshop policy not to give specific, individual feedback to applicants."

What's the fucking point? It's the same for every rejection. I put in a ton of fucking effort through convoluted applications, assessment forms, personal statements, specific tasks, interviews, and just get told to fuck off. I'd be better off hanging myself.
  • I'd miss you.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Keep going mate, it will happen.
  • Have you joined any agencies yet?
  • Yeah I called one or two in Glasgow and they got me to send in my CV and what I was looking for. Here's hoping.
  • Have you tried the Uni careers centre? There's often an assortment of strange jobs to be had around uni. Doesn't have to be degree level.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I mean actually within the uni itself. They've got a list of all vacancies iirc.
  • Yup, been outright rejected for a few over the last year, never made it past the HR team. They don't give feedback, of course.
  • Maybe it's the swastika on your forehead. I wondered about that myself.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah I called one or two in Glasgow and they got me to send in my CV and what I was looking for. Here's hoping.

That's good.  I suggest not being too limiting with the type of roles you're willing to take on.  After Uni I joined an agency and was initially offered a three-week temp. job covering the reception at an IT company, was then offered a staff job providing admin. support to the IT Project Manager then ended up as the IT Project Manager and only left 13 years later when it was clear a change in senior management meant the company was fucked (it went in to administration six months later).  I'm well aware it was very much a case of being in the right place at the right time, but it's worth keeping in mind that right places at the right time will still be out there.

Sorry  things are so hard at the moment.
  • You'll get there Tempy. It's always the worst time, the bit after the bit after uni. I'm not sure what the actual Job Centre are like these days if you haven't already tried.
  • Got a job interview this week, recruiter mentioned there is a choice of company car or cash allowance equivalent (for visiting client sites). Thats all i know. Anyone have experience of this and is the latter the better option than the former?
  • No real experience in it but ask them how they pay the cash allowance. You don't want to be paying income tax on it and avoiding self assessment is ideal.
  • @Temps
    Not much help and it seems like you're doing this but you just need anything, just to get income. 

At this stage, everything is so desperate that it all seems insurmountable. But once you've got money coming in, it's such a weight off that you can then take your time and focus a bit more on getting that one job you want, instead of scatter shotting all over the place. So don't lose hope. A temp job at an agency can come up at short notice and then things are much better almost overnight.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Got a job interview this week, recruiter mentioned there is a choice of company car or cash allowance equivalent (for visiting client sites). Thats all i know. Anyone have experience of this and is the latter the better option than the former?

My uncle was a rep, and always made them provide the car, because then it's down to them if there are any issues.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Got a job interview this week, recruiter mentioned there is a choice of company car or cash allowance equivalent (for visiting client sites). Thats all i know. Anyone have experience of this and is the latter the better option than the former?
    It would depend on the particulars but it's almost always cheaper to have a company car than run your own. They'll repair it, insure it, give you fuel allowance, MOT it, tax it, service it. 

If its your car who pays for repairs at MOT time etc. It's probably not going to be them.
  • Take the cash, don’t buy a better car, spend it on pick n mix, rock the fucking system.
  • Papa Div took the cash over the car.
    He had a TT at the time and was offered a Vectra.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Rumour has it that I've secured a promotion.

levelup.gif
  • No, thats a mushroom.

What are you now then, Rear Admiral?
  • Invade Belgium.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Goober the top hat?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Certainly not a flat cap
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Found a pretty major security flaw at work today, I'm either getting fired for dicking about on work time or the person I told is taking credit for the discovery.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Send it to the boss, don't let him fuck you.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I emailed it to the guy who's raising it with the main boss (he's his right hand man) pretty much showing I found it, plus my own manager is aware. The flaw is proper lol.
  • They usually are.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!