Work - The pros and the cons...
  • poprock wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    He does Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in his spare time so no.

So, like jiu-jitsu but more neatly trimmed?

Just like their football, there a lot more rolling around on the floor as well.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Probably a dumb question, but if I want to register at an agency, do I just rock up with my unemployable self?
  • Maybe give them a call.
    If just rocking up I would take a CV and ID (such as a passport), maybe a payslip or other proof of National Insurance number.
  • It never occurred to me that you weren't already registered.  Do this now.  Unless the system's changed it costs you nothing to do so, and some companies only use agencies for recruitment.  My career started with getting a job as a receptionist/admin. assistant via an agency.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Phone, they'll want to make an induction appointment.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I’ll do it after I get me “make better” pills tomorrow
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    m&ms?
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skittles. Much more sugar.

It seemed to me, from my short time over there, that a lot of jobs were done through agencies. Much more than here in Oz where they are pretty much a scam.

Good luck Tempy!
  • Just got an email from a client with "things to look out for on some of your recent projects".

Every single one of the errors were due to piss poor brief writing. Incorrect or unclear guidelines, abbreviations requiring me to dig out the enigma machine, broken English copy/pasted from foreign clients, contradictory information and requirements. Things requested that aren't on the brief.

Seriously pissed off about it. I've gone in, fucking fed up with it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tear a strip off them.
  • We had a guy in for a job interview today and the first thing he did when my boss went down to meet him in the reception was to toss the half eaten apple he was munching over his shoulder onto the floor. Absolute power move.

Things didn't get any better.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Just got an email from a client with "things to look out for on some of your recent projects". Every single one of the errors were due to piss poor brief writing. Incorrect or unclear guidelines, abbreviations requiring me to dig out the enigma machine, broken English copy/pasted from foreign clients, contradictory information and requirements. Things requested that aren't on the brief. Seriously pissed off about it. I've gone in, fucking fed up with it.

Did you ask for clarification when you received contradictory or unclear briefs? You shouldn't have to of course, brief should be clear.
  • Yeah, well where I spot it, sometimes it seems obvious but is wrong if that makes sense.
    Other times I ask for clarification and get the same thing back or pointed to the part of the brief I have issue with, like I didnt bother reading it.
    At that point I can't be fucked and just do what feels right.

Trouble is the project handlers are fucking terrible at feedback times. It could literally spend an entire day waiting for answers if I didnt just press on with what feels right.
  • Yeah was assuming that'd be the case, am just standing up a little for the brief-writers :)

I've definitely sent contradictory stuff / feedback to outsourcers before but I'm always on a chat client with them and am happy to answer as needed, which I try to get done as soon as possible, or if not, let them know it's blocked.
  • Mistakes happen, people are rushed, I'm cool with that. This has become a pattern though and if I'm getting this feedback on my work from the Schedule Designer then it will be because they are having a whinge to him.

I mean one of the project managers has admitted to me on several occasions that she hadn't read the client feedback before passing it to me. That is properly shit because that is core part of her job, why even employ her to copy/paste stuff?
  • Writing clear briefs is a skill many people don't possess. 
    It can be taught but it usually takes a harsh lesson like a missed deadline because you've been waiting for clarification. 
    In div's defence that's a risky move for freelancer.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Luckily my back is quite well covered there.
    Creative is king, the creative director and schedule designer will side with the creative team on 90% of things.

I think standards have just slipped a bit over the past few months but I will be damned if it's put on my head.

Bottom line, I'm not an employee so deal with your own shit or don't hire me.
    As is, they need me because they can't find anyone that delivers what I do on the schedule they want.
  • Frosty wrote:
    We had a guy in for a job interview today and the first thing he did when my boss went down to meet him in the reception was to toss the half eaten apple he was munching over his shoulder onto the floor. Absolute power move. Things didn't get any better.

Obviously been coached in alpha body language. Did he stand with his legs far apart and point with his thumb too?
  • MoesTavern wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    We had a guy in for a job interview today and the first thing he did when my boss went down to meet him in the reception was to toss the half eaten apple he was munching over his shoulder onto the floor. Absolute power move. Things didn't get any better.

Obviously been coached in alpha body language. Did he stand with his legs far apart and point with his thumb too?

I just tried pointing with my thumb, i looked more mong than alpha
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • heh
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 2 utter nonce rockets who don't listen to anything you say for my first 2 calls. Fuck this day.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Heh.

It's a phrase the lad sat next to me uses, which I have picked up as it's delightfully nonsensical.

A moran pretty much.
  • Noncesensical
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Rejection email from GW, ah well.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!