Star Trek
  • Every Trek officer looks better with a beard. Spock's just the only one to go from beard to clean shaven.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Janeway’s looked shit.
  • Bearded spock looked badass, shaved spock looks like a pedo.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Bearded spock looked badass, shaved spock looks like a pedo.
    this.this made me chortle
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Finished this last night. A lot of the WTF moments from the finale have been covered already so I'll not bother going over them again. Entertaining, nonsensical fluff. Does the job for a Star Trek casual like me I suppose, not sure how it will sit with the hard core fans.
    Spoiler:
  • Can any of you wise folks furnish me with an explanation for this:
    Spoiler:
  • Can any of you wise folks furnish me with an explanation for this:
    Spoiler:

Nope. It’s all hokum.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I didn't understand any of that signal stuff either.
    Spoiler:
  • Explanation
    Spoiler:
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Re the signals:
    Spoiler:
    Things can only get better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Seems fair enough. Should have paid more attention.
  • After a quick Google, seems the rest of the internet is as clueless as we are about the signals.

I had to laugh at one part though:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    We’re probably putting too much thought into this, certainly more than the show’s writers.
    Things can only get better.
  • I finished season 1 of Discovery last night. Its pretty enjoyable, bar a few mildly irritating characters.

The one general complaint I have is that things get resolved quite neatly and with a minimum of fuss. Usually if they say "this is the plan" then it goes to plan without a hitch. If not, there is only one mid-level checkpoint and they are on the home straight again with a mid-boss fight at most. Even the mistakes, it turns out, like say, an incapacitated crew member with a macguffin in their care, lead directly to victory.

The season was saved by probably three elements: two twists that were cleverly done; a generally consistent committment to a general philosophy; and a handful of sympathetic characters. Its just a shame that the challenges were so easily overcome that the principles weren't adequately tested.

Overall its about on par with a weaker series of Stargate Atlantis. Moderate risk, moderate reward.

3 smug Baal's out of 5.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • After a quick Google, seems the rest of the internet is as clueless as we are about the signals. I had to laugh at one part though:
    Spoiler:

This does make sense.
    Spoiler:
  • After a quick Google, seems the rest of the internet is as clueless as we are about the signals. I had to laugh at one part though:
    Spoiler:
    This does make sense.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    This does make sense.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Spoiler:
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Anyone remember StarTrek movie generations? Where the Klingons hacked geordi's visor and saw the shield frequency for the enterprise? One photon torpedo straight through the shields destroyed the enterprise.

However on discovery
    Spoiler:
  • Original Enterprise couldn’t split.
  • I thought it was brilliant good fun. Would watch more.
  • Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    In Generations, the warp core breach was due to general engineering issues potentially caused by both photon torpedoes and disruptor fire hitting the stardrive section (disruptor blasts hit a warp nacelle), not just a direct hit from a torpedo.

Original Enterprise could execute saucer separation (referred to in The Apple episode of TOS and actually executed in Beyond) but it was just a basic emergency function and the ship wasn't really built for it so it probably would have been strategically counterintuitive in the situation we're discussing.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    damn you dante
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Also, I think saucer separation in TOS was only ever really discussed in terms of getting rid of the stardrive section. We don't really know if a Constitution stardrive section can meaningfully function without the saucer.
  • monkey wrote:
    Original Enterprise couldn’t split.

Yes it could. Was never filmed as it was too costly for them to do in the 60s.

Edit: EvilRedEye answered it
  • I'm re watching DS9 at the moment. Oh those simple days when the most convoluted thing was Garak's lying to get out of lunch with Bashir.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I'm re watching DS9 at the moment. Oh those simple days when the most convoluted thing was Garak's lying to get out of lunch with Bashir.

My favourite trek series. Ahead of its time. There is a Garak novel which covers his time with the Obsidain Order which adds to his backstory
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m currently slowly working through Voyager. I like the setup, being cut off and lost in unknown space. It adds a lot. Only on the second series so far, though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!