Star Trek
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    The perpetrator of The Burn could have been a Khan, Borg, Dominion moment. A sinister new enemy. But not its a fucking boring
    Spoiler:
    See this Trek isnt about enemies. Its about emotion. I cant wait to hear : 
    Spoiler:
    TNG to my recollection had a playbook. Romulans could cloak, Klingons were bloodthirsty but honorable, Vulcans no emotion etc. The stories then played with those elements and as plots developed it felt....realistic within that world's rules. I have zero idea if anything similar exists for Discovery, things just seem to happen with no real context or explanation.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    [Sigh.]
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • In this weeks episode, among other things Michael
    Spoiler:
  • In this weeks episode, among other things Michael
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
    SFV - reddave360
  • Just finished the episode.
    Spoiler:
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    So... Star trek: Newcastle? To boldly Howay where no one's howayed before?

Lol

*Cries*
  • God that was shit. Just end Discovery as a series now.
  • Apparently Season 4 will go back to storytelling as done on previous ST shows ala Voyager, TNG, DS9. Fingers crossed it will be an improvement.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Apparently they're installing a Mandalorian-style video wall for Season 4.

It'll still be shit though.
  • I don't think I can stomach anymore.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Apparently they're installing a Mandalorian-style video wall for Season 4.

What does that mean?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A lot of Mandalorian is filmed on a big state-of-the-art LED soundstage - it's a bit like an extention of what George Lucas was trying to do with the CGI sets for the prequel trilogy except it's mainly about making something that looks cinema quality on a TV budget instead of just randomly buggering about with CGI.

mandalorian-stagecraft-1.jpg

Discovery is getting one of these basically. Apparently they can't do location filming cos of Covid so it might be to compensate for that as well.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Mandalorian making of series is literally a better watch than Season 3 of Discovery.
  • Imagine getting to write a new season of star trek set in the far future with a ship that can travel anywhere instantly. Then you turn in that bag of arse.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So those robots were good eh? Literally one shot and they were toast and they couldn’t appear to hit shit. If super duper AI asks me again if I need help taking over the ship I’ll just say no thanks.

I’ve made my peace with it being the Burnham show, it is what it is.

But fuck me that stuff on the planet with the man-child. Should have just put a bullet in his head.

But the best was the shit crew who couldn’t take over the ship (thanks AI robots) and were dying by suffocation, so they give the bomb to the deep sea diving lady who then stops to slowly watch them pass out while...

Very

Very 

Slowly

Telling them she loves them....

53687-DEC-A721-47-DF-9617-DE04-C8582068.gif
  • The crew who no-one knows the names for or all their roles on the ship. They should have all died. Get new crew in.
  • Genuinely lost for words.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Well we've got Lower Decks releasing in a couple of weeks... Let's see if that's any better.
  • Ok......so.
    Spoiler:
  • Ok......so.
    Spoiler:

Lol. All valid points. Try not to think about it too hard its a mess.

For me the most interesting thing in the two parter was when Vance mentioned Deep Space 255. A starbase that hadnt been visited in 85 years or something but has been trading with the Mercantile exchange. Now that could be interesting to see if the starbase still uploads "federation" values or has a starfleet core of staff. Or has 85 years without contact to the rest of the federation changed it beyond recognition? There are threads they can pull that could develop into good storylines for season 4.

An update 900 years later on the Klingons, Borg etc would be nice. Even just a mention.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The Voyager in Discovery is something like the Voyager-J or something like that, it's not the same ship or class, just vaguely inspired by the original.

Other than that, I had lots of similar thoughts while watching.
  • I started watching TNG again last night (skipped all of S1 after Farpoint)

You guys are sure having fun with Disco eh.
  • I enjoyed it, even the ending. Big dumb space serial was big and dumb. Annoying characters were annoying. Fun characters were fun. The effects were good. Things went bang.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    The Voyager in Discovery is something like the Voyager-J or something like that, it's not the same ship or class, just vaguely inspired by the original. Other than that, I had lots of similar thoughts while watching.
    Ohhhhhh I thought it was Janeway's Voyager. Because :
    Spoiler:
  • Not what I’m after from Star Trek though, really. I want a mm episode where all that happens is nothing.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Not what I’m after from Star Trek though, really. I want a mm episode where all that happens is nothing.
    A Seinfeld Trek spinoff would be outstanding.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think the Star Trek setting is quite as coherent and well-realised as some fans like to make out but at the same time, prior to 2009 it usually did a reasonable job of conveying that the stories were grounded in our real world, albeit the future of it, and didn't take extreme liberties with the military-esque structure of the starship or starbase settings.

Post-2009, suddenly the franchise has become an incoherent mess where action is incoherently strung together to more action, nothing seems to have any meaning and there is not even the illusion of taking place in a coherent, realistic setting where cause follows the effect. And I see people in various places online saying "Oh, it's always just been a bit of fun!!" etc. but it never was really, before 2009.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!