Star Trek
  • I think I've defended this more than anyone but the Vulcan episode was fucking awful.

Regarding eye candy, long haired Burnham, Phillipa and Tilly are fit. Number One was 

tenor.gif
  • Always time for Michelle Yeoh but I've also found (*quick google search*) Bridge Officer Detmer catches my eye with her cute little smile. 

Given Discoverys poor form at getting you to know the crews names - this is she:
    Emily-Coutts-10.jpg

Yum.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I know who Detmer is because they presented a scene with her in the last episode as some kind of big moment of growth, and I have no fucking idea why.
  • Honestly had no idea of the characters name and I don't think I'd recognise her voice but she always has that smirk on her when there is a big inspirational Burnham speech moment (or pike in season 2 #missmypike) and it got me every time.
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Today's Discovery:
    Spoiler:
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I do think there is potential for a good show in there if they got away from the focus on burnham. Also
    Spoiler:
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    Today's Discovery:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Thought it was much better use of Georgiou. Felt like different writing, the dialogue actually had some sense to it. Less of the happy clappy be nice to each other shit. Be nice to have less Burnham.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Georgiou telling Burnham to shut it, was the high point of another nothing episode. Watching out of habit right now, such a waste of a decent budget.
    Things can only get better.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    So the Book episode was typical Trek. Go to a planet help the locals against the big bad whilst moving on one of the on-ship characters development. Which would make sense if the rest of the series did this. I actually like the Book guy the more I watch him. He’s definitely better than in Nightflyers. And he’s actually one of the characters whose name I remember despite only being introduced this season. But the rest of the show has always been move the story along at the expense of the characters, so trying to do a slower character episode makes no sense in Discovery.

They then prove this by doing a JoJo mirror universe episode that no one asked for that literally stopped any story progression with the Emerald thingy and their spat with the Feds. The only saving grace for this episode is that Carl is a Q. I mean he acted like a Q and would obviously be a good one. Please be a Q. Yep he’s a Q.

As an aside Burnham has calmed down the acting since the Vulcan episode. Perhaps she’s knackered? And yes she isn’t a bad actress as TWD proves. Or perhaps she is a bad actress as she can’t do emotive scenes.
  • I.....dont know what to think anymore about Discovery. Its just all over the place.
    I'd just like to remind everyone that there is an ancient sentient AI merged with Discovery. 100s of thousands of years old. And what does it do? Suggests movie night to Saru.
    And now convieniently points Georgiou to an apparent Q. Can you imagine the field day Picard and Data would have had with the sentient AI? Here its nothing but a minor footnote.
    And the medjai from the mummy simply says "Ah yeah, dont worry about the chain, it'll be fine, run along on your mission to save one person". That federation representative they met on the station at the start of the series, any mention of him? Why is Adira working on a decryption algorithm for a FEDERATION distress beacon? A 100 year old signal at that.
    And are we to believe that distress beacon is somehow responsible for that bit of music being everywhere all of a sudden?
    Seeing Georgy back in the upside-down, she is showing so much weakness, surely she would have been torn apart by now?
     Sarru was being a dick to Book, for shame. At least in the mirrorverse Poochy's overacting seems to fit in. Bless, evil Tilly lol, its just not right.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep but Q :-D
  • I hope its Q........he doesnt have that smug puncahble face Picard's Q had though.
  • Didnt occur to me for one second that it might be a Q. Not until boris mentioned it. Even now i dont think it was.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Don't the Q want order (with the exception of Picard's Q who seemed more like Loki) and JoJo is out of time and dimension probably messing up the natural order.
  • To be honest Im surprised the superbeing was AN OLD WHITE MAN!!! OM TOTALLY G!!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Lower Decks finally has a UK distributor. It's gonna be on Amazon Prime on 22 January.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Latest Discovery:
    Spoiler:
  • God this epsiode is go shit. About 20 mins in and so bored. This show has jumped the virtual shark.
  • Spoiler:
    Christ almighty.
    Spoiler:
  • So, if the Gourgio timetravel thing really happened, does this mean Jason Isaacs' character lives again?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It means there's a universe that we've seen on screen where Jason Isaacs is alive - I think it's meant to be a separate universe from the Mirror Universe we saw in TOS.
  • I've caught up with this season now. I knew it would be dumb and shit. There's no one else to blame but me. It's dumb and shit in all the same ways it's always been dumb and shit. Here are my personal highlights of how dumb and shit it's been. 

A radiowave transmission can travel between Earth and Titan in 90 minutes. A starship can complete a no-dilithium, full impulse trip in 6 hours. Earth has been completely unaware for a period of 100 years that a human colony on Titan suffered a natural disaster and has been suffering ever since. A ship from that colony turned up and Earth blew it up without even asking what they were up to. 

The security chief lady with the mouth braces stayed behind on a ship for no reason at all. She is not qualified to undertake the work on board that ship. Discovery can get someone who is and come back in about 20 seconds. 

They're 900 hundred years into the future. For the sake of argument you can discount the century post-burn and even chuck in some regression from that and the temporal war. So, say, seven centuries of alien civilisations intermingling, expoloring new worlds and breaking the frontiers of science. The following technological advancements have been made:
    - detachable nacelles that don't do anything
    - personal transporters that don't seem to need programming with an end location. Just press your badge and hey there you are exactly where you wanted to be. 
    - gloopy interfaces (gooey GUIs) when they can be bothered to add that special effect (which they seem to have now forgotten about)
    - holograms that come out of badges??? (Discovery's own time had free-standing holograms of other people that could be transmitted across sub-space).
    - That's it.  
    Edit - Oh and Stamet's area of research, microbial wotsits, has been left completely fallow for nine centuries. No one has looked into it, experimented with it, in the whole universe, so only Discovery can jump around space. 

The Book home planet episode was ridiculously bad. Didn't make a lick of sense. "Hey what if we just ask the locus horde not to eat our stuff?" Fuck me. The Federation can't attack green lady's ship. So what if the Federation launched a non-Federation ship from its hangar, piloted by a Federation pilot to fulfil the objectives of the Federation? Fuck me.  

That Admiral is all over the shop. "You do what I say when I say, got it? Oh you went off and did something else? Well, maybe I'd have done the same. Oh you followed my orders Captain Saru? Maybe you should have responded differently when the facts on the ground change. Oh you explicitly disobeyed me and risked a war we're in no position to fight? Let's not even cover that one. Burnham you're out-of-control, act impulsively and have a problem following orders. You're just the sort of person we need for this highly-sensitive diplomatic mission in which you have a personal interest. Saru, chuck her in there and let her get on with it." 

Discovery had quite the conundrum with George-O. She's got a spin off to star in. But now she's made a one-way trip to the future. How can you get her back without opening it up to the rest of the crew that need to be stranded there for the story to carry on. How about, and hear me out here, a magic door. An actual fucking magic door. Genius. Michael can't use it because "she's exactly where she needs to be." Of course.  

*Father Ted gif*
    And now we move on to Michael.

This is the main problem. I don't know why they've decided that this show needed every season to be about Michael Burnham saving the universe. And I don't know why they've decided that every episode of each season needs to be about Michael Burnham slowly advancing towards a scene in the last five minutes where she cries about something. But that's where we are. And from that comes a tidal wave of dumb where everything involves her and shows you how brilliant she is, even when she's doing real basic stuff. 

Only Michael Burnham is driven enough to bother investigating this mysterious event that wrecked the Federation. Only her. Only Burnham could have acquired two (two!!!) black boxes so she could triangulate a signal to the source of the burn. Only Burnham can bring logic back to the Vulcans. Humanity to humans. Make the Federation remember it's higher ideals. She's got a special bond with practically everyone on the ship so even stuff that happens to them must also involve her. Every recurring guest character must have a special bond with Michael. It's just tiresome. The rest of the crew might be alright if they weren't so frequently reduced to extras in scenes with Michael. The only time that cyborg lady (who had a decent back story) got an episode was so she could die and make Burnham cry. The only time Mouth Braces got an episode was so she could be inexplicably written out and Michael Burnham could cry. 

Anyway, I'm ranted out. It's watchable shite. Most of the fun is moaning about it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I'm genuinely a bit disappointed by Season 3. I enjoyed Season 2 and it seemed on a trajectory where it would become more than watchable shite but it seems like Discovery as a whole will end up above Enterprise but far below all the other classic shows.
  • It's got a lot of good elements. Mainly the cast. Decent special effects. It's not afraid to at least try and shake up Star Trek a bit. The spore drive is a pretty good idea to give the show a unique hook. Having the ship merge with an advanced AI could have been a great move (there's still time for them to do more with that). That could have been the new Spock / Data / 'what does it mean to be human'  character. The ship itself. But, as pointed out upthread, all it's done so far is suggest a movie night. And deus ex machina George-O to a magic spin-off door. And their vision of the far far future is really just a few ideas jotted down on a whiteboard in the writer's room during an afternoon brain-storming session. Wasted potential.
  • Basically Burnham is space jesus.

Its a hollow shell of a star trek show. They had a blank canvas with the jump to 900 years in the future and so far its a mess.

I would have preferred that 900 years in the future the federation expanded to such an extend. That it is overstretched and fragmenting. Idealists one one side holding onto the ideals of the federation. Stating that expansion is the key to the federations existence and importance. They have made contact with races in the Small Magellanic Cloud (dwarf galaxy) and are pushing for the federation to take the nexy leap to become a multi galaxy federation. The otherside wanting the federation to become an empire, to solidify what they have, to quell rebellion and doubt from the outer reaches of the federation. They have no interest in the federation expanding into a new galaxy. Deal with the issues in the Milky Way i.e. home.

To add to the chaos, the Typhon Pact (Romulans, Breen, Gorn, Tholian and Tzenkethi) grows stronger by the day and some planets are starting to switch allegiances to the Typhon Pact.

Then to add fuel to the fire, both the federation and Typhon Pact are attacked by an unknown race from the Small Magellanic Cloud galaxy (the new borg/dominion). The death toil and devastation is mindblowing. In light of this attack, a uneasy truce is drawn between the federation and the typhon pact. A flotilla is sent to the Small Magellanic Cloud to investigate.....
  • Sad thing is, the actor playing Burnham is very decent. Im now on season 6 of The Walking Dead and she is amazingly restrained in comparison to this show. When she cries there is feeling behind it and even justification for it! Shock!!!
    The detached nacelles are a lovely representation of what is wrong with the show. Some dickhead writer thinks they look cool, so jam them in. Does it make sense? Nah, fuck it they look cool dawg. Whats next, some neon underlighting like from The Fast and the Furious? 
    But sweet holy moly, there is nothing like watching poor old Tilly trying to be evil in the Terran universe. Hilarious.

Its 100% clear to me that there is nobody on the writing/producing team that has a lick of interest in sci-fi or actual science. Or have any idea how to put together a semi coherent plot.
  • I edited my post. I like my own take on Star Trek now i want to develop a tv series. Just ring netflix and ask for a zillion dollars?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I've said it before, but I think the detached nacelles are an attempt to extrapolate from the nacelles of the Enterprise-J from Star Trek: Enterprise, where the nacelle struts had been reduced to little more than an umbilical cord.

uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-j-xl-edition_star-trek_feature.jpg
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I've said it before, but I think the detached nacelles are an attempt to extrapolate from the nacelles of the Enterprise-J from Star Trek: Enterprise, where the nacelle struts had been reduced to little more than an umbilical cord.

uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-j-xl-edition_star-trek_feature.jpg
    I remember :) still doesn't mean I have to like it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!