Star Trek
  • I'm guessing being a show with 21 credited producers all making it up as they go along probably doesn't help.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Finished Season 2 of Discovery last night. Overall a decent season. Really liked Pike and the crew felt that bit more like a crew than season 1. Last few episodes dragged a bit and they solved Time Travel nearly as easily as Iron Man did in endgame which took away from things but I did think as a whole it worked.

That last episode though... I get they wanted spectacle but the first half of it was just 
    brick-tamland-anchorman-loud-noises-gif.gif

I was sorry to see Pike go, I'd actually have liked to follow this version of his enterprise. 

It felt like a good way to retcon the discovery out of proper Trek History (all things considered) but not sure I need to see a season three. This tied things up as well as could be expected. And yet, I'll give it a go. There's enough here to like. 

One thing about discovery being so 'Arc' based, I think it stops it from having stand out episodes. Might just be most of my watching of TNG/ TOS and DS9 came at a time when I could really watch TV, but I feel I could even name a few stand out Voyager episodes but nothing from Discovery feels like 'a moment'
    SFV - reddave360
  • I thought the opposite – they tried to create too many ‘moments’, which led to none standing out.

I think it’s a common curse for modern sci-fi series. Striving for every adventure to have epic reach, which just leads to fatigue. nothing stands out as important when everything is such high-stakes.
  • The theme is diversity and reacting with SUPER emotions at every minor thing.
    this.
    I was watching this weeks and thinking at least this weird boy is only around for one episode.
    Sigh....
    I don't mind the swearing, I don't have an issue with the gays or the non gender binary people, but I would like it not to be about these things.
    I want it to be about space shit, not real world problems. It's pulp scifi, it's escapism.
    Spoiler:
    This weeks was one of the most traditional trek episodes they've done so far I think.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But Trek has always highlighted issues of the time. It has always been about these “things”.

The issue I have is it isn’t necessarily done very well. It comes back to time to develop characters. In normal Trek each of the main characters would have a development arc and some of those characters would touch on social issues as their character developed. Bigger social issues, such as genocide or forced repatriation being two common themes, would be handled by the bigger episode plot. 

They need more episodes and to just slow things down a bit. Or do away with the Trek connection completely and just blow shit up each week.
  • poprock wrote:
    I thought the opposite – they tried to create too many ‘moments’, which led to none standing out. I think it’s a common curse for modern sci-fi series. Striving for every adventure to have epic reach, which just leads to fatigue. nothing stands out as important when everything is such high-stakes.

We're probably saying the same thing - I really meant that I can think of specific episodes of star trek that were just really good telly. Not because they were epic (some were, some weren't) but they were simply very good telly that entertained and in best cases made you think beyond the show. Discovery (possibly for the reason you describe) never seems to get that. The closest I could think was the one where Saru had his trip back to his home world - but even that got swept up in the overall arc and was kinda shit on when his sister just turns up at the end. The Kelpien are really very fast learners.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I do think this current season of Discovery feels a bit more ‘Trek’ than the prior ones.

They have a diverse range of distinct personalities in the key crew members (even though it’s a very small group and the rest of the bridge crew are cardboard cutout redshirts). They have a small number of potential recurring ‘visitor’ characters. They’re exploring a place they don’t yet understand. And they solve problems with diplomacy more often than brute force.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    But Trek has always highlighted issues of the time. It has always been about these “things”. The issue I have is it isn’t necessarily done very well. It comes back to time to develop characters. In normal Trek each of the main characters would have a development arc and some of those characters would touch on social issues as their character developed. Bigger social issues, such as genocide or forced repatriation being two common themes, would be handled by the bigger episode plot.  They need more episodes and to just slow things down a bit. Or do away with the Trek connection completely and just blow shit up each week.
    Yes, interracial kisses etc... But not every episode.

It's not every episode, I'm massively overstating it but it feels like it is at times.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Really liked Pike...
    I was sorry to see Pike go, I'd actually have liked to follow this version of his enterprise.

You’re in luck, a spin-off series is on the way.
    Things can only get better.
  • mannaboy wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Really liked Pike... I was sorry to see Pike go, I'd actually have liked to follow this version of his enterprise.
    You’re in luck, a spin-off series is on the way.

Awesomes. I even liked the re-design of the bridge for the enterprise. Hope its different to discovery though as a show and really takes its cues from TOS and TNG. 

It's going to be the Borg isnt it....
    SFV - reddave360
  • If I remember right, it’s going to be animated. Or am I confusing it with another planned spinoff?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    If I remember right, it’s going to be animated. Or am I confusing it with another planned spinoff?

Nah, that's Lower Decks and Prodigy, Strange New Worlds is live action.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Agree about lacknof stand out episodes in discovery. Off the top of my head, standout epsiodes...

DS9 : In the pale moonlight, whispers, duet.

VOYAGER: Year of hell, Message in a bottle, Latent Image, In a blink of an eye, Someone to watch over me.

TNG: Best of both worlds, yesterdays enterprise, darmok, chain of command, inner light.

ENTERPRISE: None
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    We're only two short seasons and a bit in, so there's time. But yeah, it gets increasingly worrying as it consistently fails to ascend to brilliance.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Agree about lacknof stand out episodes in discovery. Off the top of my head, standout epsiodes... DS9 : In the pale moonlight, whispers, duet. VOYAGER: Year of hell, Message in a bottle, Latent Image, In a blink of an eye, Someone to watch over me. TNG: Best of both worlds, yesterdays enterprise, darmok, chain of command, inner light. ENTERPRISE: None
    The RLM boys have been doing some sterling work with TNG recently...

• Im delighted to see the RLM TNG love in. Its some good stuff.

I agree about Pike, super charismatic captain and really looking forward to his series.
    Discovery to me seems like its being written by people who don't have a fucking clue about sci-fi, perhaps don't even like it. But what I will say is that dinner scene worked a little for me. Simply because the emotion on show when people were arguing was warranted for a change and I wasn't snapped out of it by "acting".
    This reminds me of X Factor. Simon Cowell tells the hopeful contestants to pump silly amounts of emotion into every little thing. Resulting in idiots mewling and bawling their way through "The Bad Touch". That level of emotion has a place, but needs restraint and for it to be actually called for.

Discovery needs to lean less on big moments and get back to the sci fi bit. A lovely contrast is in Cobra Kai series 1. Its how to do emotion right.
    Spoiler:
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Agree about lacknof stand out episodes in discovery. Off the top of my head, standout epsiodes...

DS9 : In the pale moonlight, whispers, duet.

VOYAGER: Year of hell, Message in a bottle, Latent Image, In a blink of an eye, Someone to watch over me.

TNG: Best of both worlds, yesterdays enterprise, darmok, chain of command, inner light.

ENTERPRISE: None

Season 1 and 2 of Discovery all bled together into a kind of mush for me - but I guess this is a problem when there is just one story arc - even with DS9, it was a saga told in distinct memorable stories.
    Discovery is probably the first Trek that you really need to see every episode in order - notably offering recaps. The only ones that stood out were when Saru returned home and where the cyborg bridge officer died - both of which reminded me of classic episodic writing. Episode 2 of season 3 was also closer to what I'd expect from Star Trek.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    IAlso they seem to be ignoring the elephant in the room. Romulan ships werent powered by dilithum but by an artifical singularity. Surely the romulan empire would be having a field day across the alpha quadrant.

Surely Picard explained this?

Spoilered in case anyone not seen that.
    Spoiler:

Id like to echo superflys observation that long haired Burnham is fit as fuck.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Is she still doing that lip/chin wobble thing at every opportunity? 

Looking forward to binging when I resubscribe.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Best episode and most Trek like of this series. Away team mission, small simple story, well told, with some back on the ship character development. More of this please. And Burnham was suitably reserved.

Theory about the story arc
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Best episode and most Trek like of this series. Away team mission, small simple story, well told, with some back on the ship character development. More of this please. And Burnham was suitably reserved.

Theory about the story arc
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Not sure i like the future Discovery is in. Its a slow burner this season.
    Spoiler:

Some interesting theories about why Philippa was lost in thought on the Discovery reddit thread
    Spoiler:
    . Including one (it went off on a tangent) that Burnham causes the Burn inadvertently.
  • "Including one (it went off on a tangent) that Burnham causes the Burn inadvertently."

With a name like Burnham, that's just really shit Disney-level writing.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    :-D

Burn-em all
  • "Including one (it went off on a tangent) that Burnham causes the Burn inadvertently."

With a name like Burnham, that's just really shit Disney-level writing.

Well, at least they wouldn't be building everything around one character... (bet there is a script where the rest of the crew are standing around and asking where Burnham is)
    SFV - reddave360
  • Some people are drawing parellels between this show and voyager, mainly around the fact that Voyager found itself in an uncharted region of the galaxy and that gave the show a chance to introduce new species. Discovery is 930 years in the future and the show could introduce new species as Voyager did. Or it could also let us knownehat fate be fell the Klingons, Cardassians, Vulcans, Borg etc over its next few seasons. I think it will be a mixture of both. New races rising to prominence and the fall of established empires. Its a blank canvas for them.
  • Yeah, they're definitely firing blanks...
  • As it stands right now I think it has the potential to definitely be a genuine Star Trek show like Voyager.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Voyager was so shite though. I loved Next Gen, but the follow up series, bar half a dozen episodes of great (which let's face it usually involved the Borg), had serious diminishing returns.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!